Ranger

Player Theft Rule Rework

[Rework] Player theft Rules Rework [Player Theft, Kidnapping] - Allow players to commit crimes in 'public' from XX:XXpm to XX:XXam [ex./ 9pm-8am] with valid reason. I think a lot of people can agree that the original change has done a bit of 'damage' to the criminal side of life, as it cuts down the ability to rob people for their goods, and on top of wanting to rob people just for their items, robbing/kidnapping people for RP reason [ex./ Robbing/Kidnapping someone for leaving a gang, robbing/kidnapping someone for doing you wrong, Kidnapping someone for an initiation, etc]. With this change, it will allow players to commit crimes in 'somewhat public' areas AT NIGHT where IRL most crimes are committed on the 'nightly'(daily) level, and brings back the aspect that most criminals want, where robberies can happen more often.

Pros:

- Increases activities for criminals/PD

- It possibly will add more immersion. Most players will walk around/wonder freely at night, while in some places you should be somewhat afraid of being there, as you can get ran up on or robbed.

- As long as the rule is followed and players hold valid RP reason, there should be no issues with the rule being questionable/hard to enforce.

Cons:

- There is a chance that players may get robbed more at a higher rate, but that's where more RP comes into play for PD/SD/DOC

- May or may not prove to be difficult to track when something happens using in game time in reports. 

(This is a modification, not a revert/removal. As this may be a somewhat controversial topic, please leave comments to be constructive and/or left to a simple +1/-1. Any Pros/Cons are fine, just keep it civil is all I ask.)

• Like 5
  • NAY 1
  • Upvote 6

I agree with the change to night time giving people the chance to rob people more openly. At the end, most crime is committed at night time and can often times be rather public, due to fewer people, people not caring, lower visibility etc. The overall risk of night time robberies is low almost anywhere, meaning that you risk little even for low reward.

Additionally, this is a good suggestion that would create a distinction between day and night in the game, other than the bank being open. You would have to consider your actions much more when it comes to doing stuff during the night vs getting it done during the day. A lot of areas would be void of people during night time, so it would just make sense to make time a factor in the robbery rule.

For times it would make sense to have it from ~10pm to 6am to count as night time, based on in game sun activity and rl bed time (average bed time in LA is 1145pm, with people likely being at home for a good hour+ before that) and sleep time (average sleep time in LA is <6h, so we could treat it as 6h).

With these numbers, could also treat 10-12 and 4-6 as light robbery enhancement and treat midnight to 4am as full robbery allowance, as these hours would have the absolute lowest amount of people anywhere on the streets, meaning that the risk of being caught is the lowest.

-1 for me honestly unless there's some serious rules put around it. 

I'm neutral on this as it would definitely need to be under some sort of required RP interactions such as DM rights. If people are just driving around shouting hands without any RP it's not going to be a good experience. 

As an established player if my LEO character is robbed, it's not a huge deal. I can go buy a new legal gun, report a crime and move on. If my crim character is robbed I have enough minimal resources to plan a hit back. 

However let's say I'm a new player and I get robbed of my only warrener and injured and get to pillbox. They're going to feel like they can't play during nighttime hours as they don't have the appropriate social networks, legal or otherwise to do anything about it and would probably just end up quitting. My criminal character has stopped going to drug labs because the only RP I ever got there was people shouting hands, caring more about the weed in my pocket than any actual RP.

• Like 1

Recently our Player Theft rules have changed to the following:

"Robberies should be conducted in a realistic manner with a reasonable in-character motive. Location, time of day, and realistic population should all be considered prior to a robbery. Players should not conduct minor robberies in situations with high risk. Players should consider the risk vs reward of the robbery and utilize secluded areas where necessary to avoid witnesses."

More can be read here - https://forum.eclipse-rp.net/topic/93941-changes-to-deathmatching-robbery-kidnapping-rules-prison-cap-and-more/

Thank you for the suggestion.