givejoshamosin

Portable Toolkits

I know something similar has been suggested before, but now that the vehicles take a lot more damage, I've spent more time sitting here tabbed out waiting for a mechanic to come fix it than actually roleplaying or doing anything else (maybe I'm a shit driver).

Adding a toolkit, that doesn't increase the durability to 1000, instead maybe adding 150 or 200 per toolkit used to the vehicles HP, so that they can make their way to a mechanics would be much better for the server as people could spend more time Roleplaying, also more money coming out pockets and out of the economy (ignoring what store owners make on profits).

This also gives the chance for people who don't own a car to actually repair it slightly if they are renting it or taking it to a chop shop.

Edited by givejoshamosin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

-1 with sympathy.

The issue with repair kits is that they would remove the necessity for mechanics and take away RP opportunities for them. Even if the limited HP kits like you've suggested were implemented, I fear they'd be a very slippery slope to people pushing for a full-recovery option as well. The core issue right now is the fact that roadside divisions at mechanic shops are dead due to both tow trucks and flatbeds being broken. This leads us to be hesitant taking any requests because we never know if we're just gonna be stuck in a /b-fest telling someone to call an admin because we scriptly can't help. I have two alternate solutions that might be deserving of their own suggestions though:

1. Let mechanics repair vehicles no matter their health state until roadside vehicles are fixed (currently we can only fix it roadside if it has 100+ HP).

2. Give players the option to call Mors on their phone and just total their vehicle (i.e. despawn it and send it to Mors), letting them move on with their RP and not sit around waiting to get their car moved.

Curious about people thoughts on these options.

• NAY 1

Okay, to combat the negatives of removing mechanic RP:
You know how MD host BLS classes to allow people to /cpr?

How about a similar sort of "apprenticeship" or "certification" that people could go through with Bayview/LSC to be able to use these purchasable toolkits, showing their character has learned that specific skill. As anyway, it's not realistic that everyone would know how to do this
The item could work similar to phone charger, use once inside of the car and the item would disappear (be stored in the car) and allow you to /selfrepair with a long action timer and cooldown that would set the vehicle to the bare minimum to get to a mechanic to properly fix it at LSC/BV, with the command only working if you've got the certification.

I do agree that /mechanic can be a pain a lot of the time and it does take away a lot of RP when there's none online so this could also be limited to when there's a small number online.

And whilst I do agree with the point with it potentially removing rp from mechanics, it could generate RP in other ways for example "oh you've broken down, let me attach my jumper cables to your car and help you like a kind citizen!"

Edited by DrPathetic
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, DrPathetic said:

Okay, to combat the negatives of removing mechanic RP:
You know how MD host BLS classes to allow people to /cpr?

How about a similar sort of "apprenticeship" or "certification" that people could go through with Bayview/LSC to be able to use these purchasable toolkits, showing their character has learned that specific skill. As anyway, it's not realistic that everyone would know how to do this
The item could work similar to phone charger, use once inside of the car and the item would disappear (be stored in the car) and allow you to /selfrepair with a long action timer and cooldown that would set the vehicle to the bare minimum to get to a mechanic to properly fix it at LSC/BV, with the command only working if you've got the certification.

I do agree that /mechanic can be a pain a lot of the time and it does take away a lot of RP when there's none online so this could also be limited to when there's a small number online.

And whilst I do agree with the point with it potentially removing rp from mechanics, it could generate RP in other ways for example "oh you've broken down, let me attach my jumper cables to your car and help you like a kind citizen!"

I could also get behind this idea, as it sounds like there are proper limitations to prevent the slippery slope I have concerns about.

• Upvote 1

+1 Mechanics will always be needed, either for mods or for full on repairs. A toolkit that can be used with proper training would be a cool idea to see and would hopefully ease the need to constantly call a tow truck, allowing cars to be repaired to a minimal running level and then havig to be taken to a mechanic shop for a full fix.

• Like 2

+1

Would be amazing, just to get the vehicle started... maybe repair it just a little.

If you have a toolkit in your inventory and you rightclick > use, then it repairs + 100 and the next arrow up, that -would- start the car (despite damage, not a crash cooldown), starts the car.

• Like 1

I think this idea would be awesome! Especially with motorcycles since they are built like glass. I had a dirtbike that was stuck at one of the drug labs destroyed and I finally got a mechanic to accept a request after it being there for 3 days. I talked to the mechanic after thanking him and that I was surprise he came out because I haven't been able to get no one to come get it and he told me he only came because he didn't realize where It was until after he accepted. I feel like a tool kit should be implemented even if its just enough to get your vehicle to a mechanic.

+1 I like this idea, maybe make it so only a certain amount of repair kits are available at a time? or you can only purchase a certain amount within a timeframe? This could resolve some of the issues spoken about. It could also help with stealing cars that have been just left becuase they're damaged (if this was implemented with the Mors Insurance thing then people have the choice of removing their vehicle off the street if they do not have time/in a roleplay).

Big +1

I recommend the following to keep the need for having mechanics, while also addressing a big issue. I suggest two repair kits:

1) Basic Repair Kit - Can be used by anyone, anytime. Can only repair your car to 400hp, and your vehicle's speed is limited to 25% of your vehicle's top speed.

2) Advanced Repair Kit - Can be used by anyone, when no mechanics are online. Can only repair your car to 666hp, no speed limitation. Maybe limit this item, to a license like BLS, as mentioned previously mentioned?

Edited by XxTheIrishGuyxX

+1 I spent a total of 3 hours yesterday waiting for mechanics to show with no end in sight. 3 mechanics online, none show the entire time. I believe ash has explained this extremely well when it comes to a fix. If a class could be offered, or only one kit could be used on a vehicle a day could save a lot of people precious RP time. Mechanics of course need their RP but situations do happen that lock people down for extended amounts of time waiting. Hope something comes from this as some people only have certain amounts of time to play. 

+1 Im always active during the morning where not alot of people are online, it always ends up with me needing a repair but cant find any mechanics online and its really frustrating, i think mobile repairkits are gonna be game changing in so many positive ways and i am all for it, even if they cost 5k a pop it would be worth it in my eyes. And to make it more fair towards mechanic companies, it could be implemented in a way where you could only buy them from mechanics so they still get the profits of the repairs.

+1 BIGTIME
Lately its a surprise if any mechanics are online at all (and it wont be 0) a lot of time there is 1 mechanic online but nowhere to be found so self repair also isnt possible. So getting road repairs is pretty much impossible lately, it doesnt matter at what time, it just doesnt happen anymore unless you wait for hours.

It takes rp away from the 2 online mechanics? it takes rp away from everyone else at this point. and just getting the cars to 300 or 350 durability is fine as long as we can drive them to a mech shop.

(edit: I agree with the people above who want to limit it tho, but some kind of solution would be appreciated for real!)

Please & Please & Thankyou 😄

Edited by GoldieShort