Maccy

Rule Addition Suggestion - Twitch TOS

As someone who has joined the relatively small, but seemingly growing again, streaming community on Eclipse it's become apparent to me how draining it can be to stream in public places on ECRP. The clarification to racism being GrossRP and requiring consent for it was a great move back in august however derogatory terms which are not safe for stream are still rife when characters get heated and into arguments. It is still racist for a white character to drop any N-bomb no matter whether it contains a hard R or not. I would love to see an addition to the rules as follows:

• Players must adhere to Twitch TOS at all times unless specifically given consent in private areas by those they are interacting with to break it

I think this would go a long way to making streamers feel safer streaming on the server (especially those with larger followings that have more to lose). And growing a substantial streaming community would be more viable, giving the server much more reach and potentially bringing in numerous new players who may be able to provide quality RP after being educated by said streamers with interesting characters. It would also provide people with ways to showcase quality RP to existing players who may in turn learn techniques to improve their own RP and standards.

I understand GrossRP already covers a lot of the main factors of Twitch TOS however clarifying that all TOS must be adhered to would be a big boon to our streaming community and make it more clear that any type of derogatory term is not permitted such as N-bombs with an A, F*g, R*tard etc. as those are not conducive to a healthy, friendly and welcoming RP environment. I'm all for giving people the freedom to RP how they want but there are so many ways to RP outside of simply being offensive characters with prejudices.

• Like 7
  • NAY 6

+1 from me on this.

Streaming can bring people to the server so making the server more streamer friendly even though I'm not one myself would be valuable imo.

With the recent snow announcement, I think there's room for RP improvements across the board if we're pushing for that and these kind of things do not contribute. The derogatory terms mentioned here don't increase roleplay at all, it's usually people trying to be edgy to provoke a reaction (usually on an OOC level anyway).

• Like 2

Is it feasible to be fully complient with every Twitch TOS? Don't people get banned/punished for seemingly minor things on Twitch? I don't think that a RP server and the relatively highly controlled safe space of twitch are super compatible. Even things such as people playing copyrighted music at Pier have the potential to get you punished. I think some more control over the use of the n-word would be good though. People throw it out there to shock people. I don't think twitch would approve of the way the typical ECRP gangster goes aroung saying "nigga" every 20 seconds, and all the other terms that people use. 

It would get to the point where we have to regulate which insults and slurs can actually be used. It would probably just get in the way of RP at that point.

@freshprinceIE The point you make about copyrighted music is a good one and I'd perhaps edit the rule to include (excludes copyrighted music) on account of 5 seconds of a copyrighted song not being an issue at all, especially for streamers with music that tends to be going over the top of it. As for how an RP server and Twitch would be compatible it's 100% possible. It's just whether the community would be willing to see that change.

I appreciate the sentiment - I really do. However, there are some differences which make this incomparable / not appropriate for our environment.

The first major distinction between our environment and Twitch is that our environment is an in-character role playing environment and thus what people say over voip and in-character text is a role, an act, a portrayal, and those views are not OOC, meant to truly offend, or be taken out of context / OOCly and it is our job as staff members and players alike to remember we are in an environment where there's a fine line between in-character and out-of character. Every player should understand an IC insult isn't the same as an OOC insult. Marginalizing people IC is not the same as suggesting you agree with it OOC. Picking on blonde haired people in game, doesn't mean you think the same should be done OOC. Actions taken in this IC environment do not reflect peoples real views and are not meant to be taken outside of in-character contexts.

The second major distinction is that you suggest that vocabulary isn't conducive to a healthy, friendly, and welcoming RP environment however I would argue restricting speech is blurring the line that anything IC should be considered/taken OOCly as offensive. I also would argue a welcoming, friendly, and healthy RP environment can operate around offensive topics with our current guidelines in place where any player can communicate to another player if they feel offended OOCly and players should be respectful enough to cease overly offensive RP. The environment is only healthy when free speech is available and used respectfully. Simply banning these words, or punishing anyone who tries to RP a belief they may not hold IRL tastefully, is not a healthy resolution to offensive terms. Instead, educating players to understand it isn't directed OOC, communicate if they feel uncomfortable regardless, and report repeat offenses or intentional OOC uses of offensive terms, is the way we believe these situations should be handled among respectfully role playing adults.

The third distinction is that we are a multi-national community, as is Twitch, but what is considered appropriate / inappropriate varies greatly within our player base. We could not encompass all offensive or derogatory terms, nor would we want to. Twitch rules suggest depicting binge drinking or drug use is also not allowed - does that mean we should remove drugs from the server? I don't think so. This is a depiction of real life, meant for more mature individuals who want to generate a story together. Mature and offensive themes will occur and present themselves and we welcome people to play these situations out or use the tools mentioned previously on how to avoid having to be faced with material they may find offensive.

Controlling players speech regarding offensive or insulting terms is not something we plan to get involved in, as we expect our players to be respectful and mature adults when playing with each other and that mature themes and sensitive topics are something we consider possible and free to RP in general within reason, and arm our players with tools to work together.

Lastly, I want to address your perceived issue of streaming or it being 'draining' to stream public places on ECRP, or that streamers aren't able to feel safe streaming on the server. I think that is a poor way bring the suggestion forward without having any push back from Twitch or true difficulty/pressure regarding streaming Eclipse RP. I don't think it's right to suggest you or all streamers feel unsafe when there has never been any problems with Twitch TOS and streaming our environment. Nor is it fair to suggest Eclipse RP is unique to having adult, mature, or sensitive RP topics taking place. Things that Twitch would take immediate actions on are already prohibited. Someone using vulgar or edgy language will not get streamers banned unless they're promoting / allowing it to continue without taking necessary steps to put an end to it. We arm streamers and players alike with tools to remove themselves from offensive content & handle these situations already, and if other players don't cooperate they can be reported and removed.

All in all I think the restrictions are right where they need to be and think its appropriate for respectful role playing adults. This after all is an R rated mature game and an online game with people of all walks of life - and to that end, we're trying to re-enact and depict mature themes. All players need to see clear lines between something done in-character and out-of character and see the difference between playing a role and acting a character out and someones actual OOC views / intentions to offend people OOCly.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Maccy said:

As someone who has joined the relatively small, but seemingly growing again, streaming community on Eclipse it's become apparent to me how draining it can be to stream in public places on ECRP. The clarification to racism being GrossRP and requiring consent for it was a great move back in august however derogatory terms which are not safe for stream are still rife when characters get heated and into arguments. It is still racist for a white character to drop any N-bomb no matter whether it contains a hard R or not. I would love to see an addition to the rules as follows:

sorry but eclipse RP dose not have any streamer . it was a few streamers with total of 3 to 5 viewer they stream Eclipse in 2019 and 2020 . but they move to other community or they don't stream any more .

and if is . I don't think it is a good idea to affect more than 180 players role play for 3 streamers . 

Edited by Qiang

this depends on where streamers want to go, if they RP at Bank or public places or else im sure they wont get hit or people wont talking bad to them

but if you walk in grove street or gang areas im sure they wont say "hey man are you looking for candy?" they gonna shoot his a*s and they gonna spit on the body and talking about the streamer mother and grand moms and every single of they families ( about their IC families ), so i think this depends on that streamer  

if streamer want to be a gangsta, viewers must be okay with that or else. that was my suggestion and i think it would be useless if this rule added to server

Edited by PersianWariorr
  • Like 1

I think the previous addition to the Explicit RP rule is as far as it should go, any further and it'd just be policing speech at that point. If a streamer sees content that may violate Twitch TOS, they can politely ask in /b for them to switch up their RP slightly, and I'd agree that the right thing to do would be to respect their wishes, although forbidding certains terms outright is excessive.

Aint no one tryna catch a ban for saying retard in a roleplay server. This isn't TikTok, we don't cancel folk for saying naughty words.

At this time we are not looking to build our ruleset around the pre-existing Terms of Service of a streaming platform. We have countless members that stream the server daily who have not had issues with ToS breaches, and on top of that anything that they find to be too sensitive in correlation to ToS for Twitch/Youtube is something that is most likely covered in our rules (i.e Racism, LGBTQ+ Slurs, etc.) and can be reported. Basing our rules around a (smaller) portion of the community is not healthy for everyone else that does not stream or hold the "worry" of breaking some form of ToS for content creation.

Locked & Archived.