Shining0103

Department of Justice

This idea is really good in theory however there are way too many people going to jail every day and would cause a stockpile at wherever the DOJ takes place. Also it would most likely be very bias due to people who have alt accounts and OOC relationships/friendships. 

You could counter my argument saying there could be lots of employees which is correct but at some point there is going to be no one at the doj to take any cases. If you have any idea on how to fix this then comment on it. 

It's a good idea though and I hope that the problems that I stated can be fixed somehow to make this work.

• Like 1

This idea is really good in theory however there are way too many people going to jail every day and would cause a stockpile at wherever the DOJ takes place. Also it would most likely be very bias due to people who have alt accounts and OOC relationships/friendships. 

You could counter my argument saying there could be lots of employees which is correct but at some point there is going to be no one at the doj to take any cases. If you have any idea on how to fix this then comment on it. 

It's a good idea though and I hope that the problems that I stated can be fixed somehow to make this work.

@Charliepollock10 As much as it may sound unfair, the intervention of an eventual DOJ could be related to the duration of the punishment inflicted at the time of the arrest.
Let me explain: I wouldn't personally mind calling a lawyer over a reckless operation, but even though it's still annoying, 15-30 minutes in jail are not that much of a burden. 
The thing becomes unbearable whenever a stack of charges comes up, leading up to 2/3+ hours in prison where you're most likely sitting in a corner watching something on Netflix or, if you try to RP, the time served isn't taken into consideration. An eventual interrogatory during that period, or some sort of a process where you can have the possibility to reduce your punishment, seems an appealing idea to me.

Edited by Shining0103

In my opinion prison times are too long and in prison there is nothing to do, either time needs to be reduce or there needs to be something to do in prison rp wise to benefit you. Another suggestion could be the higher payout for time 10 seconds isn't a lot for how long it takes to gather the amount of ore. This is probably going to get disregarded though as everything to change prison rp does. 

• Like 2

This has been suggested a multitude of times, and its something that's good in theory but would be bad in practice, as everyone would demand their case is looked through and they're released early, or have their charges dropped. Therefore, I'd argue for a different system:

Department of Justice would be set up with two channels, and automated system and a system governed by actual players.

Automated:

This would be the channel most people would go through. This would allow for prisoners to submit an amount of money to a lawyer that would work to reduce their sentence from anywhere between 25 and 50%, perhaps a random chance, perhaps depending upon severity of the crime. This allows people in jail for Murder or Armed Robbery to spend some of their money on a good lawyer to reduce their sentence, but it would reduce the assets available when they get out, thus facilitating earning more money after release. The only thing I don't like about this section is that it encourages more grinding for money, which I think the server really needs less of. However, it gives the prisoner in question the option to either save money and ride their sentence, or to spend a bit of cash and get out early.

Staffed:

This is where you'd see the most sizeable chunk of RP. Detectives and PD would submit evidence to a court system to hold a trial. This should only be used for large scale law enforcement operations, such as RICO cases, conspiracy to import drugs/weapons on a large scale, conspiracy to commit murder on a large scale etc. A jury would be selected from people with completely clean records (aside from minor traffic infractions) and the trial would become a spectator event, where members of the public can sit in the courtroom and watch the trial. This creates huge RP opportunities as a community, a large goal for Law Enforcement, and would also provide Weasel News with some interesting events to cover. This could even be backed up with, if agreed upon, OOC agreements between the accused that the accused character cannot be used for a period of time, assuming consent is given, to emulate a long jail sentence. This is something that should be undertaken very carefully, and should be something that the whole server can engage with, even if they're not the ones in the docks. The emphasis would be on Law Enforcement to ensure all the correct evidence is in place, the Court System to ensure a fair trial, and the Criminals to ensure they cover their tracks and recruit the right people, as a snitch could send them all down for a long time.

A court system is something that really needs to be thought through carefully, especially one manned by actual players. I would like to see something like this come to ECRP though, as its something I've not seen before in any other RP server

• Like 1

I would like to suggest a solution for this. I agree that the number of people going to jail everyday is a lot and there needs to be constant activity from the DOJ to handle the cases. However, there can be an IC way like a section on the government site for the DOJ where the cases are posted and the judge and jury and involved parties can submit their cases with their respective lawyers and after the evidence has been reviewed, the RP part can be done in game after players set a date. This allows the Justice Department and other players to be involved in the situation like a normal report scenario. Also, giving an independent DOJ section would allow interesting opportunities for people to make strong cases.

And even if the alleged parties refuse to show up for the hearings after setting the date, then the player could be put on the wanted list. I believe this can be done with some player coordination and the RP would be great! It is to be noted that the DOJ would have to hire enough staff to review the cases and assign judges that work in the same time zones as the alleged party.

• Like 1

You have all shared great ideas for A court system to possibly work on ecrp.

I think the automated system to counter the excessive caseload that would be brought onto the server due to excessive arrests per day could work, It could work in a probability. However, it would only reduce someone’s sentencing not free them.

More Charges = Expensive Fee = Lower Chance

Less Charges = Lower Fee = Higher Chance

Civil and Appeals Court

Civil Court

- Will handle all civil related matters and lawsuits between two parties. Can be dealt with both in-game and on the forums.

Appeals Court

- Will review both Civil and Criminal Cases.

- After serving time and/or sentencing, players can start the process to appeal their case and charges. This can be done both in-game and on the forums. A judge best suited for the cases’s timezone will be assigned to preside over the case. Scheduled court appearances can be made and otherwise motions are submitted and reviewed on the forums by all parties.

— If player is successful at appealing their case, their charges for the particular case are expunged and a judge will have a special command to “completely” remove the charge off of player’s record. ( /expungecharge [Player Name] [Charge ID] )

1. Solves mass recruitment of Court Staff and Judges.

2. Don’t have to hear criminal cases on the spot when request and there will be a system.

3. People will be able to argue their cases.

Edited by Percival
  • Like 2