Riderz

Archive Please

On 9/10/2019 at 3:45 AM, Hazel said:

Tracing protocols are strict, we are not allowed to trace every John Doe with an Unlicensed Firearm charge or Jane Doe with Reckless Operation. I get that from the criminal side, it might appear like we are just tracing anyone we fancy from the warrants list but that is definitely not the case.

One small question. The other day I witnessed someone ask for a specific person at a location that they shouldn't of been able to find her. Her phone was on, no charges, no warrants, nothing illegal on her. Can you explain to me how detectives managed to find her when she was the only one with a phone on? You say it's strict, but I've witnessed people get their phones traced when they aren't even wanted. Seems like your protocols aren't as strict as you're saying OR you guys just don't follow then.  

Some following points, cops don't immediately have someone's phone number. They would after they call 911 but even then it could be someone else's phone, can't really use that as a reliable source of information. 

I get the IC frustrations but they're IC. The MDC needs reworked, that's a fact. You shouldn't be able to put in someone's player ID and know everything about them. We've had some issues pop up recently with police officers doing so, why are people against having to type names? I'm not ID 212 in real life. You wouldn't type 212 and get my real name and phone number. You'd be able to get some form of address and such, but you wouldn't be getting my personal phone number. Just seems odd Everytime I see a PD suggestion every PD member says, "-1" because makes things harder on them. You want people to stop accusing you of Metagaming? Take out the IDs on the MDC. Matter of fact my legal was wanted for a reckless driving and someone searched my name in the MDC and used it to call me on my phone to tell me they were coming to arrest me at my location. How did they know my location without a trace? Furthermore, it's simple as this, we strive for real life, yes we have limitations, but the MDC should be as real as possible.

Edited by thiggins19
Added extra content.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, thiggins19 said:

I get the IC frustrations but they're IC. The MDC needs reworked, that's a fact. You shouldn't be able to put in someone's player ID and know everything about them. We've had some issues pop up recently with police officers doing so, why are people against having to type names? I'm not ID 212 in real life. You wouldn't type 212 and get my real name and phone number. You'd be able to get some form of address and such, but you wouldn't be getting my personal phone number. Just seems odd Everytime I see a PD suggestion every PD member says, "-1" because makes things harder on them. You want people to stop accusing you of Metagaming? Take out the IDs on the MDC. Matter of fact my legal was wanted for a reckless driving and someone searched my name in the MDC and used it to call me on my phone to tell me they were coming to arrest me at my location. How did they know my location without a trace? Furthermore, it's simple as this, we strive for real life, yes we have limitations, but the MDC should be as real as possible.

This paragraph right here. 

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:54 PM, alexalex303 said:

You call 911, you call everyone, you use the phone actively, and you want the police to not have access to it? We're roleplaying in the US, not Somalia.

Keep your phone off or risk it. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Why can't I eat a cake if I have one bro...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thiggins19 said:

One small question. The other day I witnessed someone ask for a specific person at a location that they shouldn't of been able to find her. Her phone was on, no charges, no warrants, nothing illegal on her. Can you explain to me how detectives managed to find her when she was the only one with a phone on? You say it's strict, but I've witnessed people get their phones traced when they aren't even wanted. Seems like your protocols aren't as strict as you're saying OR you guys just don't follow then.  

I sincerely hope you reported it then

Remove MDC from the MDC please

As for the "random traces" we don't have many detectives in the department at this moment and I can assure you that everytime we ask them if they can trace someone, they check the record and won't randomly trace if there aren't serious outstanding felonies on the individual's record (or reasons such as kidnapping).

You can't just remove stuff like this since they are quite vital in many situations but I would like to see a rework since the actual system is quite dull.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 11:45 AM, Hazel said:

the small number of people that have access to extended tracing permissions

@thiggins19 Extended permissions does not mean that we can just trace anyone without any valid reason, those permissions are still restricted and dependant on a lot of prior detailed paperwork in the background. 

What appear like random and unwarranted traces to and against criminals are almost always, if not always, ICly justified. We are OOCly regulated not to use the command without prior proper roleplay and not to abuse it, if we do, we’d be removed from the Investigations Bureau, which takes a lot of work to get into to begin with, so I highly doubt Detectives are abusing tracing, considering what they’d be risking.

Edited by Hazel
  • PogU 1

On 9/9/2019 at 3:07 PM, smutty said:

Tracing a line is not something taken lightly by PD. There is an internal process and certain conditions need to be met before it's even considered. 

With that said, without any previous interaction with PD, I agree, they shouldn't have your number in the MDC. 

Might not be taken lightly by PD, but it's definitely something taken lightly by individuals.. the rampant tracing of phones has long been abused by certain detctives..

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 7:25 PM, Xoza said:

• That's what radios are for, an untraceable form of communication. You can destroy your phone to remove the number or leave it off. There are plenty that don't use phones at all and always have it off.
  • You can essentially 'create' your own burner phone already. Buy Phone > Make Call > Destroy Phone. A company wouldn't sell you a cheap phone, a phone is still a phone.
  • Acquiring numbers from MDC is only for official use only and should not be saved.
    • Getting and giving out a number from the MDC without permission is a breach of privacy and anyone involved should face consequences, especially officers.
  • Don't need to trace your number to find you, You sport the same colors, drive the same vehicles and wear the same clothing and you make a name for yourself that makes you easy to identify.

Thought of some RP reasons it exists how it is.

Crime is well known to be rampant in San Andreas. The government and companies apply restrictions to prevent or reduce illicit use for liability reasons.

• Radio tower repeaters are privately owned, easy to install and unsecured. The state has their own that are secure though for government uses.
  • Cell towers are owned and operated by the government and companies.
  • Mobile companies must register a name when a phone is purchased, registering that information with the government.
  • If you make a 911 call, the operator will not accept your call unless you identify yourself as the owner of that number.

I think fake identities would actually be a better first step.

Be glad it's only your phone number and license plates that are documented, registry of property and home ownership and addresses should definitely be documented as well and is far more realistic

I agree 100% with Xoza here. 

The tracing protocol is very strict and I am 99% certain. That no detectives would be abusing it, risking potentially hundreds of hours work in IB for only one arrest. I have never witnessed it being abused and every expreience i've had with traces have had a 100% legitemate IC reason.

There's someone out there with a ton of reckless operation charges. A TON.. like.. it should be a felony how many they have... but any additional charges, would still not fall under a reason to trace.

• Sergeant: "Could you help us find this person?"
  • Detective: "While, we definitely need to find them, they don't fall within protocols to utilize our equipment. Here's the information we do have on the individual though and how we can find them."

Again, just because you were found, doesn't mean your phone was traced.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Xoza said:

There's someone out there with a ton of reckless operation charges. A TON.. like.. it should be a felony how many they have... but any additional charges, would still not fall under a reason to trace.

• Sergeant: "Could you help us find this person?"
  • Detective: "While, we definitely need to find them, they don't fall within protocols to utilize our equipment. Here's the information we do have on the individual though and how we can find them."

Again, just because you were found, doesn't mean your phone was traced.

10 hours ago, nixu211 said:

I agree 100% with Xoza here. 

The tracing protocol is very strict and I am 99% certain. That no detectives would be abusing it, risking potentially hundreds of hours work in IB for only one arrest. I have never witnessed it being abused and every expreience i've had with traces have had a 100% legitemate IC reason.

So while I appreciate your stance, like most PD, that you should just be self policed and it is never abused we have IA etc.... I dont believe "We, the people that use it, believe we do a good job of not using it" is a viable reason to not consider something. It is currently unrealistic the way that phones work, police departments do not have an omnipotent link to anyone in a city, and if I was slinging drugs I would be using a pay as you go phone where they don't even know that number exists.... This is a situation where even though PD most likely DOES do a good job of not abusing a system, the fact remains the system should not exist at all... it is an unrealistic thing. We can't role play flying away or using our super sonic hearing to listen in on PD detectives, I don't believe they should have a number a person cannot escape... period.

4 minutes ago, Wizzidy said:

This is a situation where even though PD most likely DOES do a good job of not abusing a system, the fact remains the system should not exist at all... it is an unrealistic thing. We can't role play flying away or using our super sonic hearing to listen in on PD detectives, I don't believe they should have a number a person cannot escape... period.

^^

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.