ThePro

Anti-radar or hiding LP

Since the radars came into the game, I am losing a lot of money. I think that there should be an ability to buy anti-radar or hide the license plate, and those who have they won't get speeding tickets. The hidden license plate would look like this: SEDcbhk.jpg

Hey.

The implementation of speed cameras is more of an OOC solution than IC. We understand that this is not how cameras work In Real Life but we made the decision to have them function as they do for the sole reason of solving an OOC problem. The amount of reckless driving around these very public and populated areas is unrealistic, we understand that it may happen once in a while that a car drives past the biggest bank or hospital going 150+ but that's not the case on Eclipse, it happens all the time. After the great influx of new players, this problem became more apparent to us than ever as we'd always come to these areas and find 3-6 people injured because of a car going too fast. 

Edit:
One could argue, "Why don't administrators hand out admin punishments?" and while yes that is a valid argument, we instead wanted to add an automated solution and somewhat make it In Character. 

I am sure that in the future when we see significant improvement in driving in these areas, will the speed cameras be adjusted in terms of how they work.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FatherOsborn said:

Hey.

The implementation of speed cameras is more of an OOC solution than IC. We understand that this is not how cameras work In Real Life but we made the decision to have them function as they do for the sole reason of solving an OOC problem. The amount of reckless driving around these very public and populated areas is unrealistic, we understand that it may happen once in a while that a car drives past the biggest bank or hospital going 150+ but that's not the case on Eclipse, it happens all the time. After the great influx of new players, this problem became more apparent to us than ever as we'd always come to these areas and find 3-6 people injured because of a car going too fast. 

Edit:
One could argue, "Why don't administrators hand out admin punishments?" and while yes that is a valid argument, we instead wanted to add an automated solution and somewhat make it In Character. 

I am sure that in the future when we see significant improvement in driving in these areas, will the speed cameras be adjusted in terms of how they work.

I understand you, but at the same time, for us, street racers this is unacceptable. We just can't race in the city anymore because we get some insane fines. And yes, we can still race outside the city, but it just isn't the same... Street racing is about racing in the streets of a huge city, and not about racing in the middle of nowhere. This is just really unfair towards us.

Literally everywhere in the city is free for you to race in but 4 of the most populated locations in the city. Besides, it's an NCZ which you should not be racing in at all.

A no crime zone is an area where players may not commit any actions considered crimes.

25 minutes ago, FatherOsborn said:

instead wanted to add an automated solution and somewhat make it In Character

I'm unsure about LA so I might be wrong on how it functions there, but where I live (Montreal) speed cameras may only give a fine, no demerits and the person would not be wanted for it. I might be wrong on this, and correct me if I am but it seems that the speed cameras add you to the wanted list for reckless driving. Twice that you are already looking at max sentence. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, but I think it needs abit of tuning and you shouldn't be added to the wanted list IMO especially when wearing a mask or driving a stolen car (still charges the driver when driving a stolen car, there should be no charges).

There should be a form a form of counterplay like OP mentioned, you are able to toggle your plate being covered if you interact with your vehicle (maybe a seperate item, and an added option in the ctrl+x menu?). 

Having cops on you for driving too fast twice and getting max sentence is nonsense to me. And being required to have your phone off at all times because of it.

Just now, TheCanadian said:

I'm unsure about LA so I might be wrong on how it functions there, but where I live (Montreal) speed cameras may only give a fine, no demerits and the person would not be wanted for it. I might be wrong on this, and correct me if I am but it seems that the speed cameras add you to the wanted list for reckless driving. Twice that you are already looking at max sentence. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, but I think it needs abit of tuning and you shouldn't be added to the wanted list IMO especially when wearing a mask or driving a stolen car (still charges the driver when driving a stolen car, there should be no charges).

There should be a form a form of counterplay like OP mentioned, you are able to toggle your plate being covered if you interact with your vehicle (maybe a seperate item, and an added option in the ctrl+x menu?). 

Having cops on you for driving too fast twice and getting max sentence is nonsense to me. And being required to have your phone off at all times because of it.

We wanted speed cameras to function as they do right now to solve an OOC & IC problem with automation. The amount of reckless driving in No Crime Zones is no longer realistic, it's unrealistic. Yes, people drive recklessly In Real Life and it could happen in these areas, but I cannot stress it enough that it's happening to an unrealistic amount and it became more apparent to us with the recent wave of new players. 

We understand that speed cameras don't detect who's driving the car In Real Life and that it sends you a ticket home (registered owner), and I am certain that our developers intend on making changes to the camera system in the future when we see significant improvement in driving in these areas.  OP wanted this so that he could race in these 4 locations that we have speed cameras in, but there shouldn't be any racing in these areas, to begin with. 

28 minutes ago, FatherOsborn said:

Literally everywhere in the city is free for you to race in but 4 of the most populated locations in the city. Besides, it's an NCZ which you should not be racing in at all.

We don't race in NCZ, but it gave me fine outside the NCZ somewhere. The biggest problem is, that I have no idea where the radars are. If they would be on the minimap or something, I would know where not to go. But I haven't even noticed any IC object that would act as a radar. I may be wrong, but it would be good to know where they are.

Just now, ThePro said:

We don't race in NCZ, but it gave me fine outside the NCZ somewhere. The biggest problem is, that I have no idea where the radars are. If they would be on the minimap or something, I would know where not to go. But I haven't even noticed any IC object that would act as a radar. I may be wrong, but it would be good to know where they are.

This sounds more like a in-character issue than a out-of-character issue to me.

3 minutes ago, FatherOsborn said:

OP wanted this so that he could race in these 4 locations that we have speed cameras in, but there shouldn't be any racing in these areas, to begin with. 

Can't disagree with you on this point, but a form of criminal counter like a license plate cover could still be interesting to implement in the future. I'm curious to see what direction it is taken in for later updates but I dislike the implementation of speed cameras in its current form.

Why not update the scrapyard system already in place where if you scrap your owned vehicle, it's scrapyard spawns will have bogus license plates and thus not trigger speed-traps. The obvious down-side being already in place, you lose the ability to sell that car.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Levi208 said:

Why not update the scrapyard system already in place where if you scrap your owned vehicle, it's scrapyard spawns will have bogus license plates and thus not trigger speed-traps. The obvious down-side being already in place, you lose the ability to sell that car.

This seems like a reasonable compromise. I'd love to see this implemented, where scrapyard vehicles don't trigger speed cameras. 

+1 I already raked up over 20k in speeding fines that i will not be able to pay, so i am going to jail most likely soon.

I had no idea where the cameras are

The fine amounts are unrealistic as speeding in those areas are becoming. Nuts

Edited by yuk51

If you're losing a lot of money due to speeding then the cameras are working. 

RP'ly the city is full of thousands of cars and speeding around all the time is unrealistic, especially near NCZs. So, if you want to speed around then that's fine, but there are consequences for actions. That is the point of roleplay. This is similar to the complaints about being put in prison and made to serve a sentence for the consequences of RP'ing a criminal. If you don't like the IC consequences of IC actions then just adjust your IC actions, i.e, don't speed around or take different routes to avoid speed cameras. 

I don't really see hiding your license plate as a cure, because then everybody will just be driving around with a hidden license plate which is just as unrealistic as everybody speeding around at 200km/hr. When I was at the bank today it was nice to see people driving normally, rather than coming into the bank at 150, doing a mini jump up the hill and then skidding into a parking spot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aldari_Tagril said:

If you're losing a lot of money due to speeding then the cameras are working. 

Sure, until you are the passenger and also get charged because the driver is speeding which has happened multiple times to those i have spoken to.

It appears the script charges everyone in the vehicle which clearly shouldn't be the case.

Edited by TheCanadian

8 hours ago, TheCanadian said:

Sure, until you are the passenger and also get charged because the driver is speeding which has happened multiple times to those i have spoken to.

It appears the script charges everyone in the vehicle which clearly shouldn't be the case.

As far as I know this was a bug for a few hours, then it was patched. Passengers should no longer be ticketed.

Hiding your license plates is a cure when scrapping the vehicle means you can no longer sell it. How sure must you be of a purchase to decide it'll never be able to get sold again.

Ontop of that you could add it so that you can write the scrapyard vehicles back into traffic at the DMV for a hefty fee; allowing you to sell it again. Think of like 50.000 dollars for let's say.. an Elegy. This makes it so that sure, you will save a lot of money not getting the speeding tickets. But to write that car back into traffic it'd cost you a big lump sum. This leaves people with their own risk/reward calculation to determine wether it's worth it for them.

And if we're talking about realism, let us destroy them then the same way police destroy druglabs. There are many many RP-worthy ways around these speeding tickets, they just need serious thought and implementation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.