Buggs

Please can we stop with the "I'm in jail for 6 years" Stuff

I think the title says it all, but I am so tired of the NRP way people talk about prison. It makes no sense. Cops talk about it in hours, prisoners talk about it in jail as years, but then if you're in jail a cop can just come back in and suspend your license or add charges half way through your sentence.

Essentially, you've RPly been in jail for X years, but you're getting charged for something you did an hour ago. or whatever. If it was referred to as hours instead of years, then a lot of these actions would make more sense.

Current rule: Time is converted in jail to years to be realistic to the charges

Change Suggestion: Have it just be referred to as hours and minutes.

Just avoid the confusion and conversion. Yes, it may not be exactly like "real life", but the current system makes 0 sense. It would just be nice for all of us to get on the same page.

Edited by Buggs
Just reworded stuff cause I repeated myself
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

MAJOR +1

This is the stupidest thing on the server and I hate how you have to transfer it. When you get out of prison you say you were in there for X number of hours. Just make it hours inside to. It adds 0 immersion to saying "I'm in here for 6 years" and is just very pointless.

4 hours ago, Pegasus_ said:

Current rule is neither hours nor years, it’s days and months. 

Last 2 times I was taken to DOC a SD Deputy told me “one and a half years” referring to 1.5 hours. I Feel like we could all just agree on one format that’s actually appropriate and stick with it. Days seems the most  appropriate since time is 1:6. In my opinion. 

13 hours ago, Chunder said:

Prison roleplay guide that has been approved by HA states:

79VmYS2.png
(although its a little outdated from the new /jtime format)

This still doesn't make any RP sense though. Someone goes to prison for just over a month for murder? A month and 20 days for domestic terrorism? Why do we have the in between conversions that still don't make any sense but cause confusion...

• Like 3

+1 Buggs I agree
Now for me I personally have only ever just visited DOC. However, even for things that are somewhat related aside from prison times such as a license being suspended for 1 day, that to my knowledge is an actual OOC day or 24 hours not 1 minute like prison times. I have never had my own license suspended but find people ask me a whole lot of questions IC about similar things and why that is 1 day OOC but DOC is this way? And all I can do is respond OOCly with referring them to the prison times information and a brief statement about me not being the one that makes these decisions I am just a player just like them and that would be a good question for the forums etc.   So, I find from a different perspective of sorts there are times in which the balance between this being a game and trying to be realistic this would be one in which a compromise would actually make the role play go a bit smoother.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nunya said:

+1 Buggs I agree
Now for me I personally have only ever just visited DOC. However, even for things that are somewhat related aside from prison times such as a license being suspended for 1 day, that to my knowledge is an actual OOC day or 24 hours not 1 minute like prison times. I have never had my own license suspended but find people ask me a whole lot of questions IC about similar things and why that is 1 day OOC but DOC is this way? And all I can do is respond OOCly with referring them to the prison times information and a brief statement about me not being the one that makes these decisions I am just a player just like them and that would be a good question for the forums etc.   So, I find from a different perspective of sorts there are times in which the balance between this being a game and trying to be realistic this would be one in which a compromise would actually make the role play go a bit smoother.  

When a license is suspended, the penal code IC and LEOs ICly suspend it for 1 day (which is also 1 day OOC). 

I'm kinda against this, simply because of the 'discussing' charges side of things. Saying that you'll be in prison for an hour and a half for murder just sounds stupid, referring to it as 90 months feels more of a grand timescale. Saying months really doesn't bother me, and assists with immersion of conversations, so in my opinion there isn't a reason to change it.

The format here:

On 3/29/2023 at 11:35 PM, Chunder said:

79VmYS2.png

doesn't match the IC penal code's timescale, so perhaps this could all be clarified to sync with each other.

@ChunderThe issue raised by the OP here seems to be the difference in systems that are in use between:

• The arresting Law Enforcement Agency
  • The San Andreas Department of Corrections
  • The inmates themselves

Regardless of the currently approved ruleset, It is difficult not to feel some level of sympathy for those newer to roleplay that they need to actively convert timings on a regular basis when dealing with the Prison system. It is even more complex when other role-players such as police officers can inadvertently sometimes refer to sentences in hours and minutes.

Suggestion Improvement

The /jtime command as suggested by @Carl Vespuccishould also include a roleplay conversion of the real-life sentence remaining. 

Edited by Viropath
Amended Comment

On 3/29/2023 at 6:35 PM, Chunder said:

79VmYS2.png

I want to...

A. Bump this topic because I feel it STILL needs to be considered

B. Mention that 60 days does not equal one month, so the logic makes 0 sense

C. Mention that the system is clearly flawed and has failed due to it being around for as long as the server has and people still don't understand how to reference or use it

At this point, it should be scrapped for continuity purposes.

Not only that, but the penal code doesn't even support the system referenced in the Prison time.

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 13-12-55 State of San Andreas Penal Code - Eclipse Government.png

Edited by Buggs
  • hand 1