Giuseppe

Change Whitelist and remove NCZ

Whitelist

I've been a part of this community for nearly the last two years. Playing it off and on and bringing more players to the community during which. Since I had joined a long time ago, I hadn't seen what the new whitelist system consists of. Which I must say is quite excessive. Frankly, I see Eclipse as a Light RP server. Mainly being the voice chat removes the solidity that text RP holds since voice chat quickly becomes OOC and makes it difficult for players to roleplay something aside from how they sound IRL. If they're attempting to use strictly text chat, they are at a severe disadvantage compared to someone using their mic. Such being that, If I'm a frail little lad IRL, I can't roleplay a tough irish gangster ingame. Simply because I have the voice of a young boy; IRL. Which would force me to use text chat if I want to be in character all the time (Which is ideally how a RolePlay server would be) but the next issue arises, someone using a mic can quickly yell instructions and move through roleplay quickly, while another person who is typing may already be dead or surrounded. 

So I think the whitelist should not have a biography and should be a little more focused around "here's a couple questions, answer them in a few words" and a slightly longer quiz.

Next; No Crime Zones.

No Crime Zones. Frankly, one of the most unrealistic/Un-RolePlay things that a server owner could put in place on players. Strictly limiting RP in certain areas with the assumption that someone wouldn't do anything there, In Real Life. I agree about PD/Hospital. I don't agree with the Airport, Tequil La La, Yellow Jack. Because you are now limiting things to be only friendly at a place where things are commonly not friendly and commonly where illegal things happen. Since in my basis, The Lost MC did loads of illegal RolePlay and killing at Yellow Jack, you have now turned what we did for RP into a server offense. Which, doesn't make sense. If players want an area protected and secure, then they should have to secure it by themselves, not have the outside force of the community owner put a rule on it. 

I have been actively RolePlaying on grand theft auto based multiplayer mods for the better part of 8 years and from my experience have come to these conclusions. Since one things I dislike most is when rules are put in place and inhibit roleplay from happening. 

-1 we need a better, more strict, filter not a worst, more lenient, one.

NCZs are limited to areas where it is unrealistic for a common citizen to commit a crime. Ex the bank in the middle of center city where it would be highly protected with cameras at every angle. You have a massive map to commit crimes elsewhere. Also, as far as I know only the interior of YJ is a NCZ. Meaning you can continue to commit crimes in the parking lot and surrounding area.

Your argument seems to be: voice RP is restrictive, let's be a light rp server. While yes, voice RP can be limiting in the way you point out, it can also be better and more immersive in ways text can't. There are plenty other strict RP communities using VOIP, very much successfully so. I don't see this as a valid argument.

I think we should strive to improve our RP standards not lower them. Being a light, unorganized, mugging simulator server is easy and will become old fast. If this is what you are looking for, play GTA online. If you are here for the RP then let's focus on that and do what we can to improve it, not make it worst.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Jonny D said:

-1 we need a better, more strict, filter not a worst, more lenient, one.

NCZs are limited to areas where it is unrealistic for a common citizen to commit a crime. Ex the bank in the middle of center city where it would be highly protected with cameras at every angle. You have a massive map to commit crimes elsewhere. Also, as far as I know only the interior of YJ is a NCZ. Meaning you can continue to commit crimes in the parking lot and surrounding area.

Your argument seems to be: voice RP is restrictive, let's be a light rp server. While yes, voice RP can be limiting in the way you point out, it can also be better and more immersive in ways text can't. There are plenty other strict RP communities using VOIP, very much successfully so. I don't see this as a valid argument.

I think we should strive to improve our RP standards not lower them. Being a light, unorganized, mugging simulator server is easy and will become old fast. If this is what you are looking for, play GTA online. If you are here for the RP then let's focus on that and do what we can to improve it, not make it worst.

This and at the same time if we want more quality RPers in the server then we need to suggest for them to rework/remake the whole test and make it a bit harder so that we can get people who really know how to RP to come into the server. So this is a -1 for me.

5 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Whitelist

I've been a part of this community for nearly the last two years. Playing it off and on and bringing more players to the community during which. Since I had joined a long time ago, I hadn't seen what the new whitelist system consists of. Which I must say is quite excessive. Frankly, I see Eclipse as a Light RP server. Mainly being the voice chat removes the solidity that text RP holds since voice chat quickly becomes OOC and makes it difficult for players to roleplay something aside from how they sound IRL. If they're attempting to use strictly text chat, they are at a severe disadvantage compared to someone using their mic. Such being that, If I'm a frail little lad IRL, I can't roleplay a tough irish gangster ingame. Simply because I have the voice of a young boy; IRL. Which would force me to use text chat if I want to be in character all the time (Which is ideally how a RolePlay server would be) but the next issue arises, someone using a mic can quickly yell instructions and move through roleplay quickly, while another person who is typing may already be dead or surrounded. 

So I think the whitelist should not have a biography and should be a little more focused around "here's a couple questions, answer them in a few words" and a slightly longer quiz.

Next; No Crime Zones.

No Crime Zones. Frankly, one of the most unrealistic/Un-RolePlay things that a server owner could put in place on players. Strictly limiting RP in certain areas with the assumption that someone wouldn't do anything there, In Real Life. I agree about PD/Hospital. I don't agree with the Airport, Tequil La La, Yellow Jack. Because you are now limiting things to be only friendly at a place where things are commonly not friendly and commonly where illegal things happen. Since in my basis, The Lost MC did loads of illegal RolePlay and killing at Yellow Jack, you have now turned what we did for RP into a server offense. Which, doesn't make sense. If players want an area protected and secure, then they should have to secure it by themselves, not have the outside force of the community owner put a rule on it. 

I have been actively RolePlaying on grand theft auto based multiplayer mods for the better part of 8 years and from my experience have come to these conclusions. Since one things I dislike most is when rules are put in place and inhibit roleplay from happening. 

-1 to all your suggestions sorry bud, my reasoning is this.

Whitelist - What is the new whitelist system? I don't think it stops us from getting new players, we seem to be doing fine. A good white list prevents assholes coming to the server to troll hack and so forth. I've not come across any hackers and very rarely have I ever seen a player go around on a DM spree. Proof is in the pudding on this one, I vote the whitelist stays.

The bit you mention about VOIP chat being limiting, it's really not. I've got an alt character that I act a different accent with. Yes it takes time to get the accent right, but it's fun learning to do it and playing someone else. You are only limited in your ability to act, if you can pick up an Irish accent then you should be fine to roleplay your Irish gangster. Some actors can't play every role, i.e. you couldn't have Samuel L Jackson playing as Harry Potter (although that could be hilarious).

As for the no crime zones yes technically they restrict roleplay but they maintain a fair and realistic atmosphere. Realistic as in you don't have people "raiding" a police station or trashing the bank or robbing people after games of poker. This is a game after all and we want it to be fair fun and realistic.

There is a balance between maintaining a fun realistic roleplay atmosphere and freedom to roleplay and I think Eclipse RP has it just right.

• Like 1

Again, try your best to play the character IC in VOIP. If people make any comment ICly about you sounding like something your character doesn't look like, they are Metagaming. You can even toss in the occasional /me would sound like a tough Irish gangster or /me would be female just to reinforce it and if they continue commenting or discriminating you and your character because your voice doesn't sound like what your character should be /report them.

Edited by Xoza
  • Like 1

The survey is pretty good and recommend that stays in place. If you're RPing with somebody who is decent, and their using voice chat, they will give you plently of time to RP text chat.

Also you can request the other party text chat aswell if you feel as if your at a disadvantage and want to be equal. 

I'D LOVE to gamble at tequila and win 100,000 grand from somebody, to only be shot and mugged for it. 

you do know there are multiple other places to gamble that arent NCZ outside of the interior. 

I mean we already get plenty of people who don't know how to RP at all because of the lovely characters that fill out quizzes for their friends.  Such people are usually not here to play for theirs AND others enjoyment as well.  Don't think we need to make that problem any worse, sorry.

Hur dur Hur dur it's unrealistuc to have ncz zones. Yet it's realistic to get robbed in day light, city while you get pointed gun at you, or get rammed in a city that again you would get gun pointed at you? Do you even understand what you're saying?? the only one thing what's not realistic here to get robbed every 10 minutes while farming... If you want to see top criminal RP and how to rob people watch Forzetukas stream you will definately notice their mentality (that was sarcams, they even try to rob person who's being arrested by cop and then cry that cop didn't rped that he opened door to enter building. yet there's some people who want even to buff criminals)

Edited by Scott Cleverley