Glaikit

Remove the /vpm, it's being used to metagame names on a massive scale.

Since I've been back for 2 weeks, I've been VPM'd more times than I have in nearly 3000 hours of playing eclipse RP. My friends and allies are also saying the same thing.

It seems like people have finally caught on that you can /vpm [ID] to find out any criminals name just by seeing their ID. These names are being used ICly on the daily to find out gang member's names etc.

I see no reason why the /pm function isn't sufficient enough to inform people of any OOC messages you need to get to them.

Remove VPM entirely and stop the metagaming.

• Like 14

31 minutes ago, alexalex303 said:

Metagaming is bad, but, if we're being realistic, what can a person really do with your character's name? 

I don't think removing a whole feature is justified based on what was already provided.

I get that, but it's not like removing the feature has any negative effect when you can just /pm

I've only been /vpm'd by people who disagree with my IC actions OOC'ly and are trying to make their point look more legitimate via the special formatting of text.

I think above is enough of a reason to remove a feature that otherwise doesn't really have any benefits and a bunch of downsides. It is almost as pointless as the donators channel in discord.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alexalex303 said:

Metagaming is bad, but, if we're being realistic, what can a person really do with your character's name? 

I don't think removing a whole feature is justified based on what was already provided.

It’s hardly a “feature” when the normal /pm works perfectly fine just without exposing your name. There are certain RP scenarios in which your anonymity is extremely important. Only to be VPM’d 2 minutes after the RP so they know exactly who did it. It’s being abused on a massive scale and there’s no upsides to it only negatives can come from it.

I can see how its bad, because as something as simple as "/vpm 69 Hey nice bike man!" Gives you their character name and it can be used for malicious ways, for example metagaming what masked members of opposing gangs are hanging around. On the other hand if that information is used in-character it is considered a rule break, so you should probably be noting and reporting those instances too.

I can't remember the last time I was ever seriously /vpm'd (sent or recieved) in my 4 years of being in this community. It doesn't really have it's place, and would probably have zero downsides if it was removed, or you could change it to how the regular /pm works, with aliases hidden when masked.

Small +1 from me.

Edited by Hanro
  • Like 1

1+ this is being used to know people's name by their ID and this happened to me 2 times when they ask for your name ICly but if you don't tell them they will abuse this feature. Also makes 0 sense to have an OOC ability like this just because you paid money.image.thumb.jpeg.7b24a5700ace967a8f520feea3c14642.jpeg

Edited by Shadyar8023
  • Like 1