Shannon

Let people go offline in jail

Im just going to start with saying that prison is such an OOC punishment...

For the timer in jail to go down, you have to be in game and playing the character that is in jail. Which means leaving your PC on, with the game open for up to 2 hours. doing literally NOTHING. 

I think making people not able to use / or afk their character as its in jail for 2 hours is punishment enough, but making players sit and watch is ridiculous. 

I think the timer should go down when players are offline / on a different character as it allows people to go play other games or do something else while they wait for their character to serve their time. Players shouldnt be punished by restricting them on their PC cause of the type of character they RP.

Or at the very minimum, if you are going to make players sit and watch their character serve their time, at least give them something to do (i thought this was a great suggestion)

EDIT: If jail times are increased - make it so your jail time goes down faster if you are in game and on that character vs being offline. This gives people the opportunity to make their jail time go faster if they dont want to go offline (e.g. sentence is 3 hours offline or 2 hours in game)

Just thought I would add to this as so far its getting very mixed views.

Ive seen lots of "no point in prison" if this feature was added. Why would people being able to choose if they wanted to go offline make prison obsolete? The only difference between people standing there afk (most likely watching Netflix) vs them being offline would be the visibility of the character model. Players should have the choice to choose whether they would like to RP things in the prison (from standing there AFK to conducting a riot) or if they would like to go off that character and do something else. A few hours of their character in prison is still a reason to avoid jail as means you cant do illegal stuff with that character until they get out of jail. 

Also I have a feeling that if you allowed people to go off their character in jail (and their time still go down) then you would see a lot more active people in the server as with this feature, most people who are in jail on their criminal character would go onto their mechanic/PD/MD/ETC alt. This would mean that there are more employees online as sometimes there are hardly any gov faction employees online.

Edited by Shannon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

-1 except for adding things to do in jail.

Crim RP is based around risk v. reward.  Part of your RP IS when you screw up, you get to do some fun things like sitting in jail.  2 hours offline is absolutely nothing.  The thought of spending 2 hours of your in-game time in a jail cell makes you want to avoid being caught at any cost.  If I knew I could just go "meh" and get arrested then watch a movie I would literally care 0 amount about if my character got arrested.

Be more intelligent in your crim gameplay if you find yourself sitting in jail a lot, it helps.

1 minute ago, Taedolf said:

Crim RP is based around risk v. reward.  Part of your RP IS when you screw up, you get to do some fun things like sitting in jail.  2 hours offline is absolutely nothing.  The thought of spending 2 hours of your in-game time in a jail cell makes you want to avoid being caught at any cost.  If I knew I could just go "meh" and get arrested then watch a movie I would literally care 0 amount about if my character got arrested.

Be more intelligent in your crim gameplay if you find yourself sitting in jail a lot, it helps.

you can already watch a movie, you just have to leave GTA open. so that reasoning is pointless

8 minutes ago, Taedolf said:

So a risk of being a criminal is restricting usage of your pc? If we could offline jail then our character is still technically IN JAIL - we just arent having to watch them
If we were allowed to go offline and the jail time still go down, then the jail time could be made longer....
Not being able to play my character for hours is bad enough, but not being able to play other games is a bit much 

Edited by Shannon

Just now, Shannon said:

So a risk of being a criminal is restricting usage of your pc? 
If we were allowed to go offline and the jail time still go down, then the jail time could be made longer....

I'll admit I wasn't expecting this to turn into a "make jail time longer" suggestion.  I'm not sure how I feel about that one, to be honest.  The idea of jail is to make getting caught have real consequences to both your character and player, I think it's fine as it is minus things you could do while in jail but I am open-minded about it.  What were you thinking?

Just now, Taedolf said:

I'll admit I wasn't expecting this to turn into a "make jail time longer" suggestion.  I'm not sure how I feel about that one, to be honest.  The idea of jail is to make getting caught have real consequences to both your character and player, I think it's fine as it is minus things you could do while in jail but I am open-minded about it.  What were you thinking?

If players could go offline while in jail, then the jail times could be made longer. The reason they are so short now (2 hours is nothing) is cause players have to sit and watch, which restricts them from playing other games in this time period.

Im pretty sure if you asked people if they would prefer being able to do something else while in jail (play a different game or go onto an alt) but the jail times were increased vs having to watch your character afk for 2 hours they would prefer the ability to go offline.

Just now, Shannon said:

If players could go offline while in jail, then the jail times could be made longer. The reason they are so short now (2 hours is nothing) is cause players have to sit and watch, which restricts them from playing other games in this time period.

Im pretty sure if you asked people if they would prefer being able to do something else while in jail (play a different game or go onto an alt) but the jail times were increased vs having to watch your character afk for 2 hours they would prefer the ability to go offline.

Honestly I think the answer here is to add something to do in jail that would reduce your sentence time.  A menial job like one of those people do for money but for pennies on the dollar and x amount of time reduced per task completed.  Such would dissuade people from simply afk'ing if they wanted to get back to their RP'ing quicker and not punish those of us who have a limited amount of time to play.  Increasing jail times would harm those types of players I realize, after thinking about it.

I feel offering an option between AFK'ing and being bored waiting or gritting your teeth to get back faster is probably the way to go, because keeping a real consequence on the player is important here.  Coding a third option in being longer yet offering the ability to offline is a possibility but I'm not sure #1 if that's possible and #2 if it would still dissuade people from getting caught.  Basically I don't know, but those are some options I can think of.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Taedolf said:

not punish those of us who have a limited amount of time to play.  Increasing jail times would harm those types of players I realize, after thinking about it.

What if they made it so if you are online and watching your character, then your time goes down faster? So your sentence is (example) 3 hours offline OR 2 hours in game?

Just now, Shannon said:

What if they made it so if you are online and watching your character, then your time goes down faster? So your sentence is (example) 3 hours offline OR 2 hours in game?

I'm not sure if that's possible to code, to be honest.  Hopefully a developer will chime in here sometime.  But yes, that would come in with the third option suggestion.  I agree with that one.

Just now, Taedolf said:

I'm not sure if that's possible to code, to be honest.  Hopefully a developer will chime in here sometime.  But yes, that would come in with the third option suggestion.  I agree with that one.

Quite a lot of over games have an afk feature like energy etc... Where it regens faster if you are in game, yet if you are offline it regens much slower, could do this kind of feature with the jail sentence?

Just now, Shannon said:

Quite a lot of over games have an afk feature like energy etc... Where it regens faster if you are in game, yet if you are offline it regens much slower, could do this kind of feature with the jail sentence?

Games have different engines and coding, jail systems are also coded a certain way and I'm unsure on the difficulty of adding a separate timer and detecting whether the player was currently logged in to tick the times differently.  I know exactly what you're talking about, it just depends on the particulars of the game-mode code.

Even doe I pretty much quited the server and rped criminal on every server/game, disagreed.

What's the point of jail then? What you think that you can just rob and kill everyone around without getting punished for it? But if you were the one getting robbed you'd probably whine... and no being offline and jail time going down is not the solution(ie I didn't login for 3 months... but ya I guess I could be in jail for 24hours and ezpz im out now... logic) 

Also, on some other heavy rp servers(on samp) there are/were people who actually rped being in jail so they were pretty much jailed 24/7... and you can't do what? Stand in there for 2 hours?

I agree with the fact that there should be more(way more) activities. 

Offline timers aren't a good solution, it just removes the player from the game completely.

It's all a balancing act when it comes down to it. Depending on what kind of character you decide to role play, you have to accept everything that comes with it. Criminals get to "prey" upon everyone else which gives them more excitement to their rp, but the balance to this is the possibility of jail time. Sure prisoners should have more to do while in jail but jail should ultimately be a negative consequence for the character to endure and should play into how they act in the future. Without a real repercussions for criminals, there's nothing to help dissuade them from being repeat offenders.

All in all, jail time is essential to balancing the criminal rp and needs to be served in game. I would like to see multiple activities added for prisoners to do followed by the removal of afking in jail.

-1 I disagree 100% with this, Besides adding things to do. I actually would like to see them remove the ability to go afk. Right now most criminals just break as many laws as possible run around kill people non stop for 4 hours and then when they are ready to go to bed OOCly they just drop all their stuff off at their house and go to jail and walk away. There is no punishment there, when that person wakes up they are out of jail like it never happened and dont actually have a punishment for it IMO. 

17 hours ago, Shannon said:

.Players shouldnt be punished by restricting them on their PC cause of the type of character they RP.

+1

I want less of these boring features, like if I go to jail for 2 hours I will be afk the whole time anyways I'd rather play something else or turn my pc off 

Edited by verydoge12

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.