edawn

Language System

So I've been driving around town and somehow found a university and realized that side of town isn't utilized that well. Also the rules state that you can do [RUS] speech where someone who doesn't know RUS can't understand it.. But we all know how rule abiding the citizens are in this town, so I thought, how do we confirm that they can speak that language? Get some courses going!

Presenting a quick draft of a University system where you can learn all kinds of s@#t.

Concept:
Make University a thing, where you can learn up to 6 languages (we got English as a default).

Each course is more expensive than the last starting at 10k for 1st foreign language and adding some sort of significant increase in 2nd foreign language and keep increasing the price massively, since knowing more than 3 languages should be a luxury thing.

When you chat in a language that you know youd type /rus /pt /chi /jap, etc. etc. and people who know that language they would get something like
Stranger xxxx_yyyy (Russian): Hello, world.
Someone who doesn't know that language gets a:
Stranger xxxx_yyyy is speaking a foreign language.

How do we help people realize what languages others are speaking? Have a mild $5000 course to learn basic understanding of different languages, so the listener who has this "ability" would get a:
Stranger xxxx_yyyy is speaking Russian.

Further expansions:

With drugs like steroids being gone from the game, or being somewhere out of reach, why don't you introduce things like track team, where you could increase your running speed for money and a little bit of effort running the laps?

Failing to lockpick a car with more than 20 bobby pins? Get some locksmith courses going in the university/college thing.

you get the idea, and this introduces another Government faction or rather a governed building where it would be the Rectors job to find out how to expand this business and utilize the grounds.

Thoughts? Critique? 

+1/-1 for a few different reasons.

I see a bunch of people saying it would only work with text, and not VOIP. 
On the server, if you are going to speak another language, then you have to type it [RUS] or whatever language, then the words. The rules are pretty clear in regards to that.

I like the concept and the idea of the script support for letting it say someone is speaking another language, but the thing I disagree with is making it be only learned through a university. 

I know some factions, or even groups of friends, teach each other languages. 
For example, as a faction leader of an Italian mafia, I try to actually teach my members the language. Some members I don't get on at the same time because time zones, work schedules, or whatever else, I RP buying them a Rosetta Stone, and they RP taking the time to sit down and study it over the course of several weeks ((Since OOC weeks are several months ICly)) to become capable of having conversations. 

TLDR, I like the idea but don't limit it to just the university if it's something that is introduced. It would increase RP in one area by providing script support, but decrease it in other areas as well.

It would just promote abuse where everyone will learn as many languages as possible and try to abuse the system and avoid people knowing what they're saying.  Masks are already used way too often to take advantage of the alias and ID system to hide who you are, and there's no reason to think people won't also take advantage of this system to hide what they're saying.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.