egorreznov

Speed Camera Metagaming

I want to make a suggestion regarding speed cameras and how they operate. As of now it's completely unrealistic how they issue speeding tickets and in my eyes complete metagame. There's no reason why a speeding camera should be automatically issued to me as a driver as it has no idea who I am or what I look like. There's many instances where I drove a stolen vehicle with a mask on,gloves on, and drove passed a speeding camera and got issued a huge ticket. On top of that, this  also goes on my criminal history which causes for me to do jail time and a mandatory 2 day license suspension even though there's no way for the camera to identify me. Here's the main issue I'm having here and why this is so frustrating. I got my licensed suspended for 2 days for going way above speed limit, which I'm completely cool with as a cop pulled me over and actual roleplay was involved. Next day as I'm sitting here waiting to get my license back, I resort to driving stolen vehicles for the time being as I couldn't drive legally. Just to join the server a few hours later and getting injured by a random car vdming me and a cop reviving me just to bring me to jail for driving too fast past a speeding camera while being fully concealed which resulted in ANOTHER 2 day license suspension and jail time. Now someone please explain to me how this is fair and realistic.

What I suggest is  ( I don't know how possible these are but just some suggestions )

Speed cameras don't work if the driver has a mask on ( I can see this being abused so probably no shot this is going to happen )

AND/OR

Speed cameras stop working at a certain time as they would in real life ( For instance in most states they stop working at 10:30 or so PM )

Edited by egorreznov

1 minute ago, Freclan said:

The cameras are in NCZs, they're meant to stop you from committing crime in a place where no crime is allowed.

Doesn't change the fact that the camera has no idea who I am and sometimes as much as I try to avoid these cameras, in some situations its just inevitable especially during criminal roleplay.

1 minute ago, isBrainDed said:

It is avoidable though, don't drive through NCZ's. This has been suggested multiple times and was always denied as the speeding cameras are OOC measures to prevent people from speeding and with that crash into people at NCZ's

There's a speed camera heading off the highway which isn't in an NCZ and also one in the pier which is capped at 50 km/h which is very hard to avoid sometimes. You hit a few of those and there goes your license for 2 days, or if you lucky like me then 4 days.

4 minutes ago, egorreznov said:

There's a speed camera heading off the highway which isn't in an NCZ and also one in the pier which is capped at 50 km/h which is very hard to avoid sometimes. You hit a few of those and there goes your license for 2 days, or if you lucky like me then 4 days.

Pillbox MD is considered a NCZ. In addition to that, the one at the pier has been introduced because in the past people came flying down the pier and often crashed into quite a number of people. I get your point about the identity though, however from my experience for this system the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

1 minute ago, Roderick said:

Pillbox MD is considered a NCZ. In addition to that, the one at the pier has been introduced because in the past people came flying down the pier and often crashed into quite a number of people. I get your point about the identity though, however from my experience for this system the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

I understand where you're coming from as well so to compromise there shouldn't be a license suspension issued as that's way too excessive for something that was metagamed anyway.

Speed cameras are there to promote some kind of realistic driving. If they weren't a thing, you'd have people speeding through places with 10+ people at 240km/h - I'm sure this wouldn't end well. That is why you only see speed cameras at common and popular places, like the bank or pier. Just learn where they are, and don't speed. They are there for a good reason.

• Like 1
  • polarcop 2

The speed cameras were installed to combat the extreme amount of VDM that occurred where they were placed, whether intentionally or unintentionally. I'm not sure if you were here before the cameras went in, but this was a massive problem at the time where players would be injured or killed every couple minutes due to insane driving.

Since the cameras have been put in, this problem has all but disappeared. They are only in certain places that are extremely obvious and they are very easy to avoid.

They're mostly an ooc deterrent for NCZ and pier vdm, but are IC speed cameras.

If you could avoid them by simply wearing a mask it's defeat the entire purpose of them being added.

Just don't speed passed them, or go another way.

• Like 1
  • POG 1
  • polarcop 1

So imagine someone steals my car, reckless operates, My character goes to work in LSPD and has to prove that his car was stolen while he was sleeping and the driver was recklessly operating with his car. They ask for proof, what do I do? 

*I am talking about speed cameras, if the speed camera charges the registered owner and not the actual driver

Edited by Papadakis
  • Upvote 1