Ed Liebenburg

Housing Upkeep

Many players earn just enough to buy an entry-level home and then quit for long periods of time. As a result, housing is somewhat less-than-abundant nowadays, especially in cheaper areas. A solution would be to charge a Real-Life-daily upkeep for houses equal to 3% of the house's default value; this upkeep could be taken directly from a character's bank account. In that way, a player who bought a $20,000 home would need to pay $600 per day to secure the house's ownership, guaranteeing that the person is either: A) continuously active, or B) works enough to secure funds to tide them over during an absence. Any lapse of payment would make the home once more available for sale to any buyer, but the money from that sale would be given to the previous owner. In that way, there are no real hard feelings leaving anyone in abject poverty.

Furthermore, this aids RP quite a bit, by making sure welfare queens are unlikely to buy top-level houses, because it would dent their net income too greatly.

Thanks for your consideration!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

i have to -1 this as that price is way to high, if i was to own a house that i brought for 263K theirs no way i would pay 7890 A DAY no way in hell.

sorry man its a -1 from me

if the numbers were worked at properly on a monthly or biweekly scale it MIGHT, might make more sense. but that's wayyyy to much 

another example a high end house say 1.3 million would need to pay 39.000 a day for upkeep (none one will like that).

In reply to @ItzKnight, as I said above, the price could be scaled many different ways. For example, upkeep could be $250 + .5%, or something like that, since the problem is mostly the lower-end houses being bought up. And @juniornyc, I think you just didn't understand what I was saying. Most of the cheap houses are taken up by inactives who grind for half a day and bought a cheap house; the problem is that houses are so easy to get, and keep indefinitely. @Triple Seven, that's good to know- I still think that, evidently, it's not short enough. And an upkeep cost seems like a more RP-friendly process that also allows players to trade intense spurts of activity (money in the bank) for time away (upkeep ticking away). Also, the eventual resale of the house should pay the selling price to the previous owner (the other part of my suggestion).

And to be clear, I didn't expect the suggestion of people paying more money to be a popular move. But something's gotta be done to keep the housing market alive.

Edited by Ed Liebenburg

On 1/26/2018 at 1:32 AM, ItzKnight said:

i have to -1 this as that price is way to high, if i was to own a house that i brought for 263K theirs no way i would pay 7890 A DAY no way in hell.

sorry man its a -1 from me

if the numbers were worked at properly on a monthly or biweekly scale it MIGHT, might make more sense. but that's wayyyy to much 

another example a high end house say 1.3 million would need to pay 39.000 a day for upkeep (none one will like that).

Maybe youre not financially ready to be a homeowner. 

-1 from me.

I bought a house for $263k, this in your calculations would be  $7k+ a day - so for me JUST pay for my house, I need to do my job for roughly 1 hour JUST to pay for the house? People have worked hard enough for their houses and cars, why impose another tax such as the above? 

3 months is enough for someone to lose their house. A monthly tax or weekly tax, maybe; but with fair pricing etc.

Edited by Denni