Msato

Remove ((Player is Offline)) from Texts

On 6/21/2020 at 5:28 PM, GWXCORE said:

A possible solution would be to have it send the "message didn't deliver right away" text when the phone is off AND when they are offline?

That would work!

The current system is far to easy to abuse everyone agrees on that.  

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion, but -1. There's so many other ways to metagame something like that. For instance, if I wanted to see if a specific person was online, I could just /pm them to check. If it says that the player isn't found, that means they're offline.

If I wanted to check if Jay Gamble was online, I could do /pm Jay_Gamble Thanks. /pm Jay_Gamble Oops wrong ID. Changing this phone mechanic would cause more headache than help in my opinion.

7 hours ago, WobblierDog15 said:

Unpopular opinion, but -1. There's so many other ways to metagame something like that. For instance, if I wanted to see if a specific person was online, I could just /pm them to check. If it says that the player isn't found, that means they're offline.

If I wanted to check if Jay Gamble was online, I could do /pm Jay_Gamble Thanks. /pm Jay_Gamble Oops wrong ID. Changing this phone mechanic would cause more headache than help in my opinion.

Not saying you're wrong at all but, for your example to work you would have to know someone's actual name and proper spelling . IE. is it /pm Jersey_Mceden or Jerzy_McEden. But also the extra spam in chat when sending out mass messages like a freq to your group even though you know a bunch aren't in town is unnecessary

9 hours ago, WobblierDog15 said:

This would be easy to catch for meta gaming as you could have someone check logs if a name was used or an id

• Like 1

+1
Coming online to 20 blank messages from 1 person to then get another when I get online, followed by an immediate call was extremely frustrating. Eventually I realised that must have been why I kept getting offline blank messages. 

+/-

It's an OOC indicator the player you're texting isn't online, Since RL you can't 'log off' it does help to put a pause on an RP interaction until they do come online. There should be some kind of indicator someone is online and playing (maybe not this), so you can initiate RP if you plan too.

However, I can see how it can be used to metagame and they definitely shouldn't be using an IC method to figure out if someone is online. If you suspect this, please file a player report.

Edited by Xoza
  • NAY 1