Aldarine

EMS Treating At Hospital

I am suggesting that for 911 calls, patients have to be physically transported to the hospital for proper treating as opposed to treating on the spot that is done very often. Presently, EMS does get viewed as a quick pick up/heal up and go which does not give much room for quality roleplay. As a licensed medic OOC, every trauma run is taken to the hospital to ensure proper patient care. The duty of the medic is not to treat on scene but to prepare and transport the patient to the hospital while keeping them in the best stable condition you can.

I do think that treating at the hospital will make citizens more conscious of what they are doing/how they are putting themselves in harms way as well as open the door to more quality EMS interaction while making the roleplay itself more realistic.

• Like 2

I've always felt an actual hospital would be great. Other servers have proven it is possible to create a hospital interior, similar to how we have created one for the prison. To then have actual doctors and nurses fixing people up would be a great addition. I do feel people will get annoyed at the process of getting them back on the street but I also feel this will make people think twice about their actions and doing stupid things.

Edited by Stimo
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Stimo said:

I've always felt an actual hospital would be great. Other servers have proven it is possible to create a hospital interior, similar to how we have created one for the prison. To then have actual doctors and nurses fixing people up would be a great addition. I do feel people will get annoyed at the process of getting them back on the street but I also feel this will make people think twice about their actions and doing stupid things.

Not to mention it just adds more content for people in terms of roleplay. Adds additional avenues for roleplay in EMS as well, Ambulance picks up, stabilizes and transports. Hospital staff take it from there and handle the intensive care, surgery, and recovery of patients.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Even without a doctor/nurse/field medic hierarchy, medics could still do their completed assessment and treatment in the hospital. It's much better environment wise and will really add depth to medic rp. It just feels a little lackluster when a player is downed, calls a medic, gets treated on the spot, then everybody goes about their merry way a minute later. 

• Like 1

The way I RP this as an EMT is I usually do "field treatment" and basically get the person in stable condition, and tell them that the doctors at the hospital will do full treatment.

The only problem with this RP is the /stabilize animation, since the entire point of an EMT is to stabilize and deliver to the hospital.  Maybe there should be no /stabilize animation.  Instead, the script should just prevent the person from dying once the medic gets there so the medic can /anim kneel and RP with a person who is on the ground, not someone standing up while they have 4 gunshot wounds and a broken leg.

My suggestion would be to remove the /stabilize animation and make it a script purely for the purpose of stopping HP loss, just like /heal gives back health.

With respect to OP's suggestion, I will add that given the call to units-on-duty ratio, tying up medics in complex doctor-patient RP at a hospital will lead to a ton of people dying on the street.  The treatment has to be somewhat fast because sometimes lots of people get injured all over the map.  Maybe we can have permanent in-hospital doctors, but that's going to take a lot more thought.

Edited by ShyNudist
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, smutty said:

There needs to be more staff at the hospital. I've been there in several occasions and it's empty. No one to do treatment/healing. 

It's because everyone is in an Ambulance and the amount of calls can get ridiculous, known from experience. With the addition of an actual staffed hospital, this should resolve your issue though.

Edited by Stimo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stimo said:

It's because everyone is in an Ambulance and the amount of calls can get ridiculous, known from experience. With the edition of an actual staffed hospital, this should resolve your issue though.

Completely agree! Just like the low number of police, but that's another story. 

Great ideas and thanks to everybody for giving even more suggestions. I think when we all put our heads together then there can be great EMS RP.

A staffed hospital would be nice but also it's very dependent on player availability. In terms of timing and tying up medics, I think the comprise would be handled with implementation, of course if this suggestion even gets that far. I agree that the command itself should be different and instead of completely healing a patient, it should prevent hp loss once the medic gets there. Treatment RP would then just be completed at the hospital (along with restoring lost hp) which doesn't even have to be complex as it could be the same treatment RP that's already used in the field. The added time would come with driving the injured person back to MD, which, when thinking about the priority level of the call, would be warranted.

With something like this implemented, I do believe that players will in turn be more conscious of lots of actions they take on a daily basis and thus lead to a lower on-duty/calls ratio. For instance, if you know that you can't just get picked up and walk away after a car crash, you would be less likely to drive your sports car like a maniac in the streets, etc. at least in theory. I think a lot of people do incredibly reckless things with the knowledge of "I just need to wait for a medic and then I can quickly get back to it, no big deal" which is just unrealistic.

• Like 1

This is just my opinion but I really don't like medical role-play and while your suggestion is more realistic and in itself, a good suggestion, I don't want it to be implemented.

Medical Roleplay is far too text-based, you're constantly having to answer /do's, you aren't really in a position to do much either than lie there. MD don't have any props beyond their uniforms and their Ambulances. You then have to be dragged to the ambulance and taken all the way to either Sandy Shores MD or the new Central MD, only then to be healed.

What it comes down to for me is that watching or being involved in medical roleplay is just simply, boring. As such, I don't want to see more of it. I'll participate in it if I have to but it's not something i'm going to vote for more of.

2 hours ago, GOAT said:

This is just my opinion but I really don't like medical role-play and while your suggestion is more realistic and in itself, a good suggestion, I don't want it to be implemented.

Medical Roleplay is far too text-based, you're constantly having to answer /do's, you aren't really in a position to do much either than lie there. MD don't have any props beyond their uniforms and their Ambulances. You then have to be dragged to the ambulance and taken all the way to either Sandy Shores MD or the new Central MD, only then to be healed.

What it comes down to for me is that watching or being involved in medical roleplay is just simply, boring. As such, I don't want to see more of it. I'll participate in it if I have to but it's not something i'm going to vote for more of.

I understand that medical RP isn't everybody's cup of tea but at the end of the day EMS is an official faction in the server staffed with people who are on-duty to take calls and RP the job they've chosen. It's not your job in the server, but those who have it should have more opportunities and chance for quality RP just like everybody else. There is a lot of blatant laziness and honestly lots of fail RP especially with people having absolutely zero regard for an injury they claim to have or even just of their own safety when going around the streets.

How would you recommend improving EMS so it's not just a lazy run around town healing, giving painkillers, and watching somebody with 4 gunshot wounds run back into their car 5 seconds after being healed? I really don't think a forced trip to the hospital and healing there is too much but that's just me.

• Like 1

Honestly, it would be so nice to just remove the doctor who heals you for 1000 and make people HAVE to see a doctor, like have some EMS out and about but some to stay back and chill at front desk and wait for patients, and then just cycle out to keep a flow for staff. I for one am just annoyed with gang shootouts cause it just turns into "I got shot once time to roll up to central spend 1k and get right back in at full" and just cycle that till the end, that way people have to actually wait to be treated and this 1k for full HP cannot just be abused. 

• Like 1