SquirtleSquad

Script to check duration of license suspensions

I'm sure this has been suggested multiple times in the past, but I would like to bring it back up. Please implement something like `/checkSuspension ID` that LEO's can run on an individual to know the time remaining on their license suspension. Something in the chatbox like the following would assist with people able for LEO's to inform civilians how long until they are able to purchase firearms/ammo, or drive their vehicle without fear of being pulled over and getting arrested again for IC law breaks.
FName_Lname has
DD:HH:MM:SS remaining on Drivers Suspension
D:HH:MM:SS remaining on TruckersSuspension
DD:HH:MM:SS remaining on Firearms Suspension

On 12/26/2023 at 4:31 AM, Oli said:

+1 but it only works under some conditions.
1- Player isnt wearing a mask.
2- Player is very very close.
3- Only works with Fname_Lname and not IDs to avoid metagaming.

1. If someone is requesting you to know how long until their license is unsuspended, I think this goes without saying that they'd not have a mask on

2. Yes this would be a close proximity like the /suspend command. I feel like because you're checking if they have a suspended license, it should be one of those requires two people interaction, which falls into my explaination below on point 3.

3. Not sure why we'd want FName_LName to avoid metagaming when 2 would require close proximity.

If someone is abusing /commands to gain information on this, then it'd be pretty quick and easy to see who is abusing this, and have punishments issued. I just personally don't see a reason for needing FName_LName at times when there are times people will smash their head against their keyboard to procure a surname. If someone is abusing a command to metagame, then they should be reported for such. I've not run into instances where people will abuse a command to powergame. 

19 hours ago, HobGoblin said:

/suspend should only work next to an mdc and shouldn’t have to be close to the player

for both since they would use names the player could be offline and it still works. 

This would be the only agreeable thing I'd have for using FName_LName

Just now, SquirtleSquad said:

1. If someone is requesting you to know how long until their license is unsuspended, I think this goes without saying that they'd not have a mask on

2. Yes this would be a close proximity like the /suspend command. I feel like because you're checking if they have a suspended license, it should be one of those requires two people interaction, which falls into my explaination below on point 3.

3. Not sure why we'd want FName_LName to avoid metagaming when 2 would require close proximity.

1. What you're talking about is IC (whether he wants to wear a mask or not at the time) while what I'm saying is that it should not work scriptly if the player has a mask on. Like the /alias command.

What assures crims that some cops wouldn't just randomly check their licenses?

2. Idk how close /suspend is so doesnt really help, but I'd say it should be the same as /alias.

3. Cuz such a command should be IC, added to the mdc for example and not simply using an OOC command, using OOC identification, and then responding to the person who asked using IC means, making no sense at all and only adds a window for metagaming people's identity using their IDs.

4 minutes ago, SquirtleSquad said:

If someone is abusing /commands to gain information on this, then it'd be pretty quick and easy to see who is abusing this, and have punishments issued. I just personally don't see a reason for needing FName_LName at times when there are times people will smash their head against their keyboard to procure a surname. If someone is abusing a command to metagame, then they should be reported for such. I've not run into instances where people will abuse a command to powergame. 

Dont think admins check everyone's logs on daily basis to figure out who's abusing a command and who isn't. Neither do I think there should be a metagaming window open just cuz there's a rule against it.

If your only argument that this window should be open is because people have weird surnames then idk really.

11 minutes ago, Oli said:

1. What you're talking about is IC (whether he wants to wear a mask or not at the time) while what I'm saying is that it should not work scriptly if the player has a mask on. Like the /alias command.

You stated that they need not to wear a mask. That goes without saying. You want to know how long your license will be unsuspended for, then no mask. Otherwise the point one you're making is just moot.

13 minutes ago, Oli said:

What assures crims that some cops wouldn't just randomly check their licenses?

What assures crims that cops won't randomly go around and suspend their license? We're not here to play devil's advocate. There are processes and procedures in place, and most LEO's wouldn't be caught dead fucking around with shit like this. It's never worth the risk of metagaming.

23 minutes ago, Oli said:

2. Idk how close /suspend is so doesnt really help, but I'd say it should be the same as /alias.

It's really close. It's accompanied by an /ame as well.

14 minutes ago, Oli said:

3. Cuz such a command should be IC, added to the mdc for example and not simply using an OOC command, using OOC identification, and then responding to the person who asked using IC means, making no sense at all and only adds a window for metagaming people's identity using their IDs.

Such a command isn't IC as it requires script intervention. I'm not sure why you are bringing up "IC this" in the conversation of scripts. The MDC is script, not IC. The information IN the MDC is mostly IC. Big difference between the two and the use of IC/OOC.

16 minutes ago, Oli said:

Dont think admins check everyone's logs on daily basis to figure out who's abusing a command and who isn't. Neither do I think there should be a metagaming window open just cuz there's a rule against it.

If your only argument that this window should be open is because people have weird surnames then idk really.

It is not my only argument, but it's a really simple script that doesn't have to be overcomplicated. The scripts that LEO's are given, at the level they are given which would raise concern for metagaming, is so rarely an issue, that I feel knowing if someone's license suspension without any sort of roleplay or identification can be easily handled and reviewed in a /report or Forum Report. I don't feel I need to justify other reasons why not FName_LName, but using an ID to /suspend or /checkSuspension is not something I'd teeter into metagaming territory. Hell, the script can even just return:

FName_LName ID has: or omit it entirely.

1. I'm not here to argue and definitely not about something that simple. The script should not work if the player is wearing a mask. Not generally working cuz the player is EXPECTED to not have mask on.

Crims are assured cops cant abuse /suspend as we get notified when our licenses get suspended. If we'll be getting a similar notification, then I guess this solves everything :).

3. If the information it gives you is IC, then it should only consider IC input (Fname_Lname) imo.

I still dont get why you WANT it to work for IDs cuz all I'm getting from you now is that you're lazy and dont wanna take 5 seconds to type someone's name.

You say that its easy to figure out if someone abused it without roleplay but we all know that if a crim asks that question, the response is gonna be "IC" and then the crim will either take the L or make a report and then its more headache for admins over something that imo isnt even worth your whole argument.

Even if the script returns "ID has:" it still doesnt stop all possible metagaming as cops can just check suspension for ID 67, know that ID 67 doesnt have a license and then do whatever bs they can to pull him over.

TL;DR: a chat notification like the one player gets after /suspend would protect crims. If not, it should only work using Fname_Lname imo.

3 hours ago, Oli said:

3. If the information it gives you is IC, then it should only consider IC input (Fname_Lname) imo.

I still dont get why you WANT it to work for IDs cuz all I'm getting from you now is that you're lazy and dont wanna take 5 seconds to type someone's name.

You say that its easy to figure out if someone abused it without roleplay but we all know that if a crim asks that question, the response is gonna be "IC" and then the crim will either take the L or make a report and then its more headache for admins over something that imo isnt even worth your whole argument.

Even if the script returns "ID has:" it still doesnt stop all possible metagaming as cops can just check suspension for ID 67, know that ID 67 doesnt have a license and then do whatever bs they can to pull him over.

Why do you have to go straight into insulting me as oppose to attacking the arguments. I don't feel that is necessary nor just. It has nothing to do with laziness. I know it is easy to figure out if someone abused it without roleplay. This isn't a CRIM VS LEO conversation, and I am getting rather annoyed with every conversation of this stature turning straight into a CRIM VS LEO argument. No one ever said "take the L" or "this is IC". If a rule break was made, it's our duty as staff to investigate it. Whether we find it annoying or not, we are here as volunteers to do our duties to ensure everyone is enjoying their time here.

Crims can CTRL + X on vehicles that are undercover to determine it's undercover, and outside of a single forum post on here, you don't see arguments of that sort going on back and forth. Yet, I've seen it in evidence it's being used to identify vehicles. That's metagaming and ongoing. This suggestion would easily be logged and if found abused, easily punished for NRP. I'm not going to continue to repeat myself on if it's easy to be logged or not.

I dont consider the word "lazy" an insult but you do you.

There's no way you're denying the "this is IC". 💀

My initial conditions had nothing to do with crims vs LEO, simply using Fname_Lname is basic logic 101.

In the hundreds of words you've wrote defending your point, you still havent given me one single reason to justify it working with IDs. Logs or not, /report or not, no windows for metagaming should be open.

PLAYERS* can CTRL + X, not only crims. And I personally am against it, cuz it leaves windows open for metagaming :).

1 hour ago, Oli said:

1. I'm not here to argue and definitely not about something that simple. The script should not work if the player is wearing a mask. Not generally working cuz the player is EXPECTED to not have mask on.

Crims are assured cops cant abuse /suspend as we get notified when our licenses get suspended. If we'll be getting a similar notification, then I guess this solves everything :).

What does a cop looking up if someone's license is suspended on a computer have to do if they're wearing a mask. Why would a cop looking up someone's license status alert the other player? With this logic any time a criminal zipties someone cops should get alerted just to be sure nobody can abuse kidnapping.

• Like 1