CalvinKlein

Change the current license suspension system

The current license suspension can be a bit game-breaking, with the new  rules, that didnt exist in the previous years, where 

No1. You can't get a car out the impound anymore if your license is suspended, even if you've got someone else with you with a valid license

No2, Most charges ranging from the simplest Felony Evading will give you a day license suspension

No3, Even passengers of a car evading are charged with evading, suspending their license, so if you have a group of 4 players, in a car, and they evade, all 4 get felony evading, and suspended licenses and can not drive their cars

No4. This is GTA in the end, and the need for vehicular access is critical, as there's no viable transport system (taxis on every street all the time, functional busses, metros etc) and having vehicular access is critical for consistent RP.

Honestly it was never an issue in the previous years, and no one used to complain about license suspensions, however I have NO IDEA, why it was changed to where it is MANDATORY for cops to suspend your license, and MANDATORY for your car to be allowed out the impound via the script, and when you analytically look at it , all it achieved was 1. potentially more arrests for PD @ the people driving with no license, further making cops/robbers loop, and restriction of RP.

Example a group of 4 players with no licenses, are kinda limited to the RP, and while I agree there has to be a level of IC consequences to IC crimes, I believe in terms of the suspensions, they're at an unhealthy level, that promotes no RP, or improves it, but limits it, only accomplishing player x with suspended license, choosing to drive another vehicle (aside from the impounded one he/she cant get out ) and potentially a vehicle that is better with evading cops, and promote avoidance of any interactions or RP , that can lead to someone asking for your license...

However no suggestion / complaint is objective unless countered with a viable, logical, fair, and reasonable alternative/suggestion.

So currently on the server, we RP prison hours in years, minutes in months, so a 1 hour prison sentence is technically "1 year " in prison..

Why not do 1 day suspension = 1 OOC hour,

And based on the severity of your crime, for example while evading you're crashing into cars etc, etc, reaching the highest level of reckless driving, you get a "1 Week license suspension" 

Which is OOC 7 hours, however if you're a passenger, with someone evading , you get "1-3 days" which is OOC 1-3 Hours.

Open to more Ideas, and suggestions, so if you have something positive to contribute go for it..
If you're one of the people who suspend licenses, and never deal with its' consequences as you don't engage in criminal RP, please do not come here making dismissive comments, and if you have ideas on how to improve the system, please go ahead.

• Like 2

+1

ive had cops put all my items into my vehicle after arresting me, and then suspend my license, and put the car in impound, preventing me from accessing any of my stuff for 24 irl hours. that was annoying. at that point i just logged out of that character and was no longer allowed to RP due to how the scripts currently work.

it could even be based on an in game day, a full 24 hour in game cycle.

either way, yeah. good suggestion.

Edited by Demonmit1

No3, Even passengers of a car evading are charged with evading, suspending their license

thats something that should be handled in game either by amending the law or having an attorney assist you in dealing with charges. if you're a passenger you should technically get charged with accessory to evading, but the specific law contradicts how the accessory modification works, so its dumb.

Just the same way that you say 60 minutes of jail time OOC is 60 months of jail time IC, its really the same for a license suspension. 1 Day of license suspension OOC would be like 1 year of license suspension IC. I know the scaling of the jail time and license suspension don't equal one another, but realistically, thats the concept. No one would have there license suspended for 1 day in reality. It would be suspended for a long period of time depending on the severity of the crime. Its only 1 day in the server due to balance concerns to ensure its not too long of an OOC punishment, just like jail time. The license suspension up until about a year ago actually used to be 2 OOC days, not 1, but it got lowered. 

Overall, the script does not prevent LEOs from releasing your vehicle from impound with a suspend license. It also doesn't force cops to suspend your license. All of this is IC policy driven. Your entire suggestion is actually more fitting to be IC and should be directed to PD leaders and the GOV Law Review Committee to change the laws. 

39 minutes ago, Bala said:

We did reduce it already to 24 hours, it was originally more.

Considering that if you did some of the stuff you did in real life, you'd lose your license permanently, you can wait 24 hours to pick up a fresh one, it's no big deal.

This is like saying considering if you did the crimes you did in real life you would get a life sentence, so its no big deal. This statement is quite invalid in my opinion but whatever you say.
Also in real life you get to contest something like a crime you did in court and you don't do the time until that court trial is over, here you get compensation after already doing X amount of time. so don't compare to real life its just an invalid statement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harveyyy said:

My personal opinion - I think it would be cool if the suspension is lowered to 3-6 hours, 24 hours is too much; or, make it so your license is suspended for 1 hour after getting released from DOC. I don't see how that would affect anyone negatively.

massive +1.

1-2 hours starting after sentence is served. Theres almost no criminal op you can commit where LEO will not apply endangerment (they are doing nothing wrong, just following their training.) but with it being such a common charge the punishment of not being able to legally drive for a full IRL day is ludicrous. 

Make license suspension 3-6 hours, 24 hours is a joke if anything just makes people want to log off.

Passenger in evading shouldn't loose their license at all, never really seen the point in that.

2 hours ago, LisaWinter said:

Most of this seems mostly IC

Wish it wasn't because if we get told to handle it IC it's gonna take about 2 years to implement

1 hour ago, Quietthecutie said:

massive +1.

1-2 hours starting after sentence is served. Theres almost no criminal op you can commit where LEO will not apply endangerment (they are doing nothing wrong, just following their training.) but with it being such a common charge the punishment of not being able to legally drive for a full IRL day is ludicrous. 

Reckless operation (20min jail time and misdemeanor) can also get you 1 day suspension, so its not only endangerment, even if you're a passenger in a car evading with no possibility to get out, but know the people in the car

2 hours ago, Harveyyy said:

My personal opinion - I think it would be cool if the suspension is lowered to 3-6 hours, 24 hours is too much; or, make it so your license is suspended for 1 hour after getting released from DOC. I don't see how that would affect anyone negatively.

Your average player only plays maybe 2-3 hours a day and would usually play at the same time. Considering it's just a day, it's not really an issue.

Maybe you don't see why it's an issue but if we swing the other way with the consequences, people do stupid shit and even getting caught comes with little consequence. 

The most that would make sense in my view is 12 hours and even that's a stretch. You ain't supposed to go prison every day, if you do either you don't care about getting caught or you bad.

• Upvote 1

Considering it's just a day, it's not really an issue.

I think the core of the problem is police are allowed to hold your personal property for 24 IRL hours after you've already been punished and served the time for the crimes your character commited. tacking on OOC punishments of 24 hours (24 years in game?) while also having to likely wait another 30 minutes to hours for an officer to grace you with their presence at the impound lot just seems a bit overblown.

keep the license suspension, but players should be allowed to withdraw their personal vehicles from impound, like they get their personal belongings back after serving their time in DOC. Obviously this would have to be some sort of IC change with how police handle returning personal belongings and vehicles, but the current state of how things work, just flat out denying returning your personal vehicle and possessions seems wrong.

Police can set up some sort of system that as long as the person has someone else available to drive the vehicle, they can return the vehicle to its owner from impound. idk. its gotta be worked out. but the current system doesnt make sense within RP and only serves as an OOC punishment that has nothing to do with your character or RP in general.

19 minutes ago, Demonmit1 said:

I think the core of the problem is police are allowed to hold your personal property for 24 IRL hours after you've already been punished and served the time for the crimes your character commited. tacking on OOC punishments of 24 hours (24 years in game?) while also having to likely wait another 30 minutes to hours for an officer to grace you with their presence at the impound lot just seems a bit overblown.

keep the license suspension, but players should be allowed to withdraw their personal vehicles from impound, like they get their personal belongings back after serving their time in DOC. Obviously this would have to be some sort of IC change with how police handle returning personal belongings and vehicles, but the current state of how things work, just flat out denying returning your personal vehicle and possessions seems wrong.

Police can set up some sort of system that as long as the person has someone else available to drive the vehicle, they can return the vehicle to its owner from impound. idk. its gotta be worked out. but the current system doesnt make sense within RP and only serves as an OOC punishment that has nothing to do with your character or RP in general.

It used to be like that until recent years, back then cops would just confirm u have a driver with you with a valid license and you're good to go

19 minutes ago, Demonmit1 said:

Technically, in most if not all states you have to show a valid drivers license and proof of ownership to get a vehicle out of impound. 

35 minutes ago, illin said:

He was comparing it to real life. I’m just stating a fact. Personally I agree with lowering the suspension from 24 hrs standard to a maximum of 24 hours depending on the severity of crime. 

i didnt compare it to real life. i was saying that having a 24 hour OOC punishment for something your character already was punished for and time spent for seemed unreasonable. keep the suspension, but let people have access to their property back once they're released. 

7 minutes ago, Demonmit1 said:

i didnt compare it to real life. i was saying that having a 24 hour OOC punishment for something your character already was punished for and time spent for seemed unreasonable. keep the suspension, but let people have access to their property back once they're released. 

I agree to an extent but the middle ground would just be the suspension being in hours instead of days, scriptly