Felcon

Make a public roadmap

Let me ask you a question, is it worse to be in the dark about whether anything is coming or is it worse to expect something to come that does not arrive on time?

It would be really good to have a roadmap for the community to see the development plans but it would be even better if those plans could be stuck to and delivered within that time frame.

Alexander Pope once said blessed in he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed. Alexander was half right, he shall never be disappointed but he'd always be surprised.

And to follow on with what Bala said, promising something and then not delivering will also be bad.

An example is the banking system that was teased aaaages ago. If we had a roadmap that might have been on it, and for one reason or another it appears to have been dropped from development. Could have been a variety of different reasons. But with a roadmap we'd have been left more disappointed.

Right now through teases and Devs talking in #general we know there's a drug update, a gun update, a house robbery update, and a clothing/customization update on its way and I think that's all we really need in terms of foreknowledge to avoid disappointment.

Edit: I still think a roadmap would be good overall. But knowing what the community can be like, and the time it takes to have changes and updates, I feel it'll just annoy people en masse the second it's deviated from.

Edited by Ash
  • Upvote 1

I understand that if a public roadmap would have been released and then with it promising something and not delivering will be a bigger disappointed but I believe that is the whole problem and I guess the main point with the a public roadmap is more transparency in developing works. 

From what I know and how I feel about the server is that it is not some personal project from the current developers that a community can enjoy and share. It is an actual server/company. I find the the teases and even bigger disappointment currently and just hope that if there was a roadmap the community would clearly know what is being worked on and in what order instead of grasping of teases and stuff developers say in the public discord channel. 

The current updates I am aware of is that there was a drug update teased around 1 year ago. From a post on the forums a couple weeks ago by osvaldon it apparently was postponed for a clothing and house robbery update and now recently we something about a gun overhaul update. The teasers and what updates are coming are all over the place and if you want to find some information on it you need to look through discord and the forums. 

I just believe that it would be better for transparency sake to have a roadmap from the developers on what is being worked in what order and if they want an expected completion of the update. This does not mean they have to put the small updates in specifically but it would be nice to have something along these lines. 

- Clothing/Gun overhaul update - Target end of 2022

-House Robbery update - Target 1st quarter of 2023

-Drug update - Target 2nd quarter of 2023

9 hours ago, Bala said:

Let me ask you a question, is it worse to be in the dark about whether anything is coming or is it worse to expect something to come that does not arrive on time?

It would be really good to have a roadmap for the community to see the development plans but it would be even better if those plans could be stuck to and delivered within that time frame.

Alexander Pope once said blessed in he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed. Alexander was half right, he shall never be disappointed but he'd always be surprised.

How about a world, where a roadmap is made and then it gets stuck to? You know like a target with a deadline date, and if you have to put in some extra work to make it you do it, or even if you need help you find some? You have just become so used to the way this is done here. You are actually trying to convince people and yourself that they shouldn't be told about updates because they will just be disappointed when they aren't met? -.-

Hey guys, let's avoid any roadmaps or deadlines since chances are they won't be met...

There should be no issue with wanting a bit more transparency on future updates, as mentioned things have been teased and yet never delivered, the solution should be to communicate why this wasn't the case, open and honestly and focus on what is being developed.

Likewise, if deadlines are something developers think will move a lot, be up front about it. You already have a loyal player base, don't take that for granted. You already have people who stick around despite the vocal out cry for more content, it's not a big ask to be transparent about plans and rough deadlines for completion.

The alternative? Sure, you can keep people in the dark about what is being done, tease a few things here or there and eventually release something. It will likely still get people excited, but I personally think that will do more harm than good in the long run.

• Like 1

I live in the real world, not in the fantasy of suggestion forums. There is limited availability to work on things and lots to implement.

All corners of the script need something, everyone has a case where it should be their area of interest that gets updated. 

Even loose estimates of timeframes are not given because at a guess, they don’t want to be beholden to them. 

I know, because I’ve tried asking for one. These updates will come if and when they come. Asking to be kept in the loop would be nice but I don’t think it’s going to happen from my own experience.

1 minute ago, Bala said:

These updates will come if and when they come. Asking to be kept in the loop would be nice but I don’t think it’s going to happen from my own experience.

I don't disagree that this is what will likely happen. However, the prescription is that it shouldn't, continuing down this path is not good.

I think if a deadline can't be given, or a roadmap of what is being focussed on can't be given, any transparency is better than none.

Even if it's just "Hey guys the server keeps crashing because of an update that went wrong. we're working on it, be patient with us" in the announcement channel.

Or "X and Y is why we haven't had an update for so long, we're working on Z and then we're ready to publish an update"

ANYTHING but silence is better than what we have right now.

• Like 5

It was mentioned in the #developments channel that there was a non-vehicle related update that was allegedly to be released within upcoming days from 29/07. This is now over a month ago.

I will echo some statements under this thread. Transparency is absolutely key, and the more there is of it, the better, even if it means informing players that X update is at a standstill or discontinued for Y reason (e.g. priority to a new project), as stated by @Harley, or that a deadline has been moved for a new estimate for whatever reason as stated by @Cyrus Raven.

Edited by skeletee
  • Like 2

Of course the developers are busy bees, but the REASON they are developing is to help improve and expand the experiences of the community, I share @Harley's point!

There is reservations, of course, saying "This update will be released on this date, 3 months in the future" is extremely specific and can easily be missed, but just a general ball park of progress, like new movies do, "Coming this winter, Irish Hat update!".

Especially about active issues, which isn't just down to the devs to communicate, yesterday having the server go down so often, people in game where asking "Does this happen all the time?! This is ridiculous" and in the discord there was obvious frustration, even @Ranger had to perform some 'boredom/crowd' control by doing a counting exercise in #general! Would be nice to see an official notice about server issues in the future.

Edited by Purely
  • Upvote 1