JakeVolkoff

The AWFUL Speed Camera script needs to change!

The Speed Camera and Speeding ticketing system on this server is nothing short of Awful. It honestly needs to be fixed or just plain and simply removed. I don't know who's idea it was to design it this way, but it's just so stupid.

Why do issued Speeding Tickets get assigned to the driver, when caught by a Speed Camera. The fines should go directly to the VEHICLE / License Plate. It's just so far from roleplay.

It makes 0 sense to get a speeding ticket to yourself while you are driving a stolen car, How has nobody done anything about this yet? This is meant to be a roleplay server, why should people have to RP paying tickets that would not / should not be given to them. It has been done well in other communities, I can't imagine it is a hard fix or implementation. If you're going to have this system, why have an automatic speeding ticket system at all?

Drivers should have a consequence of not parking their cars in safe places. If the car is reported stolen, then the tickets should be automatically cancelled/voided. The speed camera would RPly have a picture of the drivers face at the time, if the face does not match the driver, then the tickets should be voided and cancelled as they would in real life.

Edited by JakeVolkoff

29 minutes ago, JakeVolkoff said:

The Speed Camera and Speeding ticketing system on this server is nothing short of Awful. It honestly needs to be fixed or just plain and simply removed. I don't know who's idea it was to design it this way, but it's just so stupid.

Why do issued Speeding Tickets get assigned to the driver, when caught by a Speed Camera. The fines should go directly to the VEHICLE / License Plate. It's just so far from roleplay.

It makes 0 sense to get a speeding ticket to yourself while you are driving a stolen car, How has nobody done anything about this yet? This is meant to be a roleplay server, why should people have to RP paying tickets that would not / should not be given to them. It has been done well in other communities, I can't imagine it is a hard fix or implementation.

I understand your frustration, but what is the alternative you purpose?

What happens if Player A steals Player B's car and joyrides it around stacking 100,000$ in fines? Would this seem ''fair'' to you?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Cyrus Raven said:

What happens if Player A steals Player B's car and joyrides it around stacking 100,000$ in fines? Would this seem ''fair'' to you?

It should be the same way it would work in real life, the tickets would be voided if the car was stolen.

They could easily make a script that would link the fines to the car, and also be able to identify the name of the driver of the car (OOCly). RPly the camera would show somebody else driving the car, the owner of the car gets in contact with the police, the police confirms this and the fines get voided. Or would that be too much RP for everyone here?

1 hour ago, Cyrus Raven said:

The car was stolen... the tickets would be revoked once appropriate authorities were notified... I'll say that the law enforcement has issues of its own and the lack of organisation and RP quality that has been getting worse over the years in government factions probably wouldn't allow for something which needs close inspection and dedicated minds on it to function.

but yeah it would definitely make more sense for the tickets to ALWAYS go to the vehicle instead of the driver. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever for the fines to go to the driver.

1 minute ago, KariOne said:

The car was stolen... the tickets would be revoked once appropriate authorities were notified... I'll say that the law enforcement has issues of its own and the lack of organisation and RP quality that has been getting worse over the years in government factions probably wouldn't allow for something which needs close inspection and dedicated minds on it to function.

but yeah it would definitely make more sense for the tickets to ALWAYS go to the vehicle instead of the driver. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever for the fines to go to the driver.

16 minutes ago, JakeVolkoff said:

It should be the same way it would work in real life, the tickets would be voided if the car was stolen.

They could easily make a script that would link the fines to the car, and also be able to identify the name of the driver of the car (OOCly). RPly the camera would show somebody else driving the car, the owner of the car gets in contact with the police, the police confirms this and the fines get voided. Or would that be too much RP for everyone here?

Player A logs out at legion square, leaving their car locked. Player B lockpicks the car, stealing it and driving it around for the next 3-4 hours and eventually leaving it at burgershot parking. Player B wakes up the next day, noticing he now has 50,000$ worth of fines on his vehicle. He heads to Mission Row to complain about the tickets, claiming his vehicle was stolen.

In this scenario explain the following:

How would PD/SD figure out if the car was truly stolen? Would they rely on the man's verbal statements?

If Verbal Statements are enough to get the fines voided, wouldn't this mean that anyone can effectively complain about getting a car stolen to avoid speed camera fines?

The current system while not perhaps the most realistic, works well and prevents people from speeding around where these cameras are set up, which is the entire point of the speed cameras in the first place. I don't see how a system like OP suggested can be implemented without it leading to abuse by players to get any speed camera fine voided.

6 minutes ago, Cyrus Raven said:

Player A logs out at legion square, leaving their car locked. Player B lockpicks the car, stealing it and driving it around for the next 3-4 hours and eventually leaving it at burgershot parking. Player B wakes up the next day, noticing he now has 50,000$ worth of fines on his vehicle. He heads to Mission Row to complain about the tickets, claiming his vehicle was stolen.

How would PD/SD figure out if the car was truly stolen? Would they rely on the man's verbal statements?

If Verbal Statements are enough to get the fines voided, wouldn't this mean that anyone can effectively complain about getting a car stolen to avoid speed camera fines?

The current system while not perhaps the most realistic, works well and prevents people from speeding around where these cameras are set up, which is the entire point of the speed cameras in the first place. I don't see how a system like OP suggested can be implemented without it leading to abuse by players to get any speed camera fine voided.

I don't know how you're justifying how someone driving a stolen vehicle gets the fines, its not how it works irl, shouldnt work ig. The speedcamera would rplying show who was driving, not rocket science

12 minutes ago, Cyrus Raven said:

Drivers should be more careful where they park their cars (As they would in real life, they would value their property). Park their cars in a No-Crime Zone if you don't want it to be stolen. You should also be a way so that tickets are automatically voided if they report the car stolen to the police, it's really not that hard to do.

"How would PD/SD figure out if the car was truly stolen? Would they rely on the man's verbal statements?" - As I stated, the camera RPly would show somebody else driving the car. I never said anything about verbal statements.

Edited by JakeVolkoff

6 minutes ago, Cyrus Raven said:

Speed camera can provide RPly a picture taken with a view into the car through the windshield. 

Driver During Fine: InsertNAMEhere

Officer would check the picture taken at the time during Fine, check the features of the owner of the vehicle and that would be evidence they weren't driving the vehicle. Sure they could be masked, but if we're gonna make it unrealistic let it be as realistic as we can get it.

Or, Fine Taken at: insertDATEhere insertTIMEhere

Driver Online during fine: FALSE

There are many ways for it to determine who was driving the vehicle in a manner that would RPly be better than just giving the fine to whoever is driving, and that just doesnt make any sense.

-1 the script is in place to stop an ooc problem of people recklessly speeding through ncz and the pier. Due to to this it has a weird aspect that it will only give tickets to those driving the car instead of the actual car owner. 

the change that the op suggested will just be used for trolling people as stated above. Let’s give someone that we don’t like millions in fines because we can. 

34 minutes ago, IAmTurtle said:

-1 the script is in place to stop an ooc problem of people recklessly speeding through ncz and the pier. Due to to this it has a weird aspect that it will only give tickets to those driving the car instead of the actual car owner. 

the change that the op suggested will just be used for trolling people as stated above. Let’s give someone that we don’t like millions in fines because we can. 

I'm sorry but are you not reading his response?

If the vehicle is stolen, the tickets get null and voided. Read before you reply.

2 hours ago, LiverLevi said:

I'm sorry but are you not reading his response?

If the vehicle is stolen, the tickets get null and voided. Read before you reply.

Except ''stolen'' is not easy to define, either IC'ly or OOC'ly. Is it voided if the car was reported stolen before the fines were given? After? At any time? How do you determine if the person driving the vehicle stole it or if it's someone that has permission to drive the car? What prevents people from sharing cars with each other and constantly claiming that their car was stolen and therefore all fines should be voided.

Not saying it's impossible, but to get a system up and running like the one you're talking about would be a developmental nightmare I suspect, but hey if someone can provide a clear outline of how it will work including how it will continue to stop people from recklessly speeding at 240 in another car they don't own past speed cameras, then I'm all ears.

As said earlier by IAmTurtle, the speed camera system is placed on the server to stop players from speeding in No Crime Zones, and that is one of the reasons why the person driving the vehicle is receiving the ticket.

Regards,
Awazki

7 minutes ago, Awazki said:

As said earlier by IAmTurtle, the speed camera system is placed on the server to stop players from speeding in No Crime Zones, and that is one of the reasons why the person driving the vehicle is receiving the ticket.

Regards,
Awazki

Make no sense, no crime zone or not. It's an IC issue, the ticket shouldn't be given to the driver, but the owner. IRl if you drive a car and speed, the owner get the ticket.

7 hours ago, JakeVolkoff said:

It makes 0 sense to get a speeding ticket to yourself while you are driving a stolen car, How has nobody done anything about this yet? This is meant to be a roleplay server, why should people have to RP paying tickets that would not / should not be given to them. It has been done well in other communities, I can't imagine it is a hard fix or implementation. If you're going to have this system, why have an automatic speeding ticket system at all?

Drivers should have a consequence of not parking their cars in safe places. If the car is reported stolen, then the tickets should be automatically cancelled/voided. The speed camera would RPly have a picture of the drivers face at the time, if the face does not match the driver, then the tickets should be voided and cancelled as they would in real life.

I do understand it is unrealistic on frustrating, but it's not as black and white as you make it seem. When you speed through a speeding camera IRL you don't just get a text immediately informing you you have a fine, it can be quite a while before you receive that fine, during that time you'd have reported your car stolen and you wouldn't have even gotten the ticket in the first place. And talking about realism, have you seen the quality of actual traffic cameras? There's no way it would be possible to accurately identify a person sitting behind a vehicle. Also when driving a stolen car it would make sense you'd purposely take shortcuts to avoid any camera whats so ever. When someone steals your car they dont drive on the main roads they drive on the backroads to be avoid being spotted BY traffic cameras. BASICALLY what im saying is just AVOID the cameras! Drive through vinewood, drive on the dirt road instead of through paleto!!! Don't go to the pier in a stolen vehicle avoid the bank its literally on one of the biggest streets.

1 hour ago, LiverLevi said:

Make no sense, no crime zone or not. It's an IC issue, the ticket shouldn't be given to the driver, but the owner. IRl if you drive a car and speed, the owner get the ticket.

This is not an IC issue. No Crime Zones are OOCly enforced. Speeding is a crime so it makes sense that your not allowed to speed in No Crime Zones.

Speed Cameras were implemented because we wanted to tackle the unrealistic speeding in certain areas, but instead of doing it through staff means which would result in admin punishments, we decided that we'd implement a system that would ticket the player regardless of the vehicle they were driving, to keep it as much In Character as possible and make the consequences In Character as opposed to Out of Character. While speeding happens all the time in real life, it's unrealistic in the sense that pre- speed cameras, everyone would drive 100+ down the pier, past the police stations, past hospitals, etc. Now you have a choice, but that choice comes with consequences.  

At the moment, we really have no interest in changing how speed cameras work because it's there to solve an OOC problem without having to intervene OOCly to an extent. 

TL;DR read Cyrus Raven's reply above.