Spergburger

Lower the range that text chat is seen to be more in line with VOIP

So the changes with VOIP and range it can be heard are all very nice and are helping to prevent people just cranking their voip volume so they can metagame stuff, but it'd be nice if something could be done about text chat to give it the same range. As it stands now text chat can be seen from quite a long distance and used to metagame stuff. I've seen multiple reports about it where someone called the police and people heard it at impossible distances and used that knowledge to gun the caller down, and I've even seen it happen first hand to me. By lowering the range that text chat can be seen it'd help reduce the amount of incidences where this is happening, which would also help to reduce the reports on it, freeing up time for admins to work on other stuff. It'd also help improve roleplay in general and give more reason for people to use /low /s /w and /carwhisper.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Also I think that being in a car muffles VOIP so it'd be cool to see something like that with text chat, whether if the person is in a car there's a lower range on how far away you can see the chat, or it could be "muffled" so that you only see some of what they're saying, as if you can't quite make out what they're saying ICly

Just now, Spergburger said:

You can't do that on a phone, and it's besides the point. The range people can be heard while speaking normally using text chat is too high in comparison to the VOIP range. I shouldn't have to whisper to someone so that someone down the street and outside of my car can't hear me.

Then here is a +1.