Spizor

The recent update about nametags..

I would like to suggest to instead of having to hold ALT to toggle nametags, make it a toggleable command like /toggletags and it would work the same as /toggletabbed
I know some people might argue that this is done for realism and such and you wouldn't have nametags floating over someone in real life, but, this is a game and there's huge differences on remembering someone on a game rather than IRL.

At the end of the day this is still a game and there has to be boundaries between realism and a game to make it enjoyable 

• Like 14
  • Upvote 14

Gonna play devil's advocate... -1
I really like it and think that it will force more meaningful interactions and have you get more used to the voices and appearance of the people you're closer too. 

34 minutes ago, xmilsxox said:

makes it 100% harder to tell who is talking due to not being able to see the green ID when someone is talking

This bit I do agree with, especially if they need to /vr and even moreso if they do it in a vehicle. I think a compromise of just having ID's over heads that then expands into an alias when you press ALT could be a middle-ground. 
But overall I think the new way will just need people getting used to it more than anything and is better for immersion imo.

Edited by DrPathetic
  • Like 3
  • YAY 1

I'm happy with how it is now.

I feel it may be useful to also see aliases and IDs whilst you are in the process of typing too as having to reach to hold down alt to check ID/aliases while typing crazy name spellings or IDs does make some RP a bit longer.

Edited by LeroySimpson

45 minutes ago, DrPathetic said:

I really like it and think that it will force more meaningful interactions and have you get more used to the voices and appearance of the people you're closer too. 

This bit I do agree with, I think a compromise of just having ID's over heads that then expands into an alias when you press ALT could be a middle-ground. 
But overall I think the new way will just need people getting used to it more than anything and is better for immersion imo.

But the thing is remembering someone in real life is completely different than remembering someone in-game. In real life you don't see 10 other people having the exact same clothes and facial features as someone you know, to which that can happen in-game. Also since this update I've already seen people taping their ALT key down or having a script to hold ALT down at all times, so why not just make it easier for everyone and have a command for it that you can toggle on/off instead?

Not only is this going to make reports 10x harder since by the time that I remember I have to press ALT they might be already gone, but as I said before at the end of the day this is a game, not everything has to be 100% realistic otherwise it would not be enjoyable

This is already a report here that proves one of my points..

Edited by Spizor
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Spizor said:

In real life you don't see 10 other people having the exact same clothes and facial features as someone you know,

But isn't half the point of all dressing the same and looking like a bunch of drones to not stand out? As someone that's around a bunch of people in the exact same uniform all day in-game, I can very easily point out name and badge numbers of those I have known for a while, with the newer trainees not so much. Which I think is exactly the point. 
And I'm not all for the toggle command as honestly I just think so many people will go for the convenience route and toggle it on which will defeat the points I mentioned in the last post and above.

-1/+1. It’s a good change, but I agree that name tags should automatically show when someone is using VOIP. It’s easy to distinguish people’s voices usually, but it’s a lot harder to keep up when it’s within quite a big group of people and I need to press alt briefly every time someone chips into the conversation.

• Like 1

-1/+1. It’s a good change, but I agree that name tags should automatically show when someone is using VOIP. It’s easy to distinguish people’s voices usually, but it’s a lot harder to keep up when it’s within quite a big group of people and I need to press alt briefly every time someone chips into the conversation.

Yeah when I'm on the pier now its impossible for people to tell whos talking to them. I think the Alias should show when the person is using VoIP. After all this is a VoIP roleplay server and it is good to know who is talking and when. When I'm getting arrested by cops now I have no Idea who is talking to me from where. When in reality I would be able to tell who is addressing me. It feels unnatural, it makes it feel like TeamSpeak or discord when you are in game. It removes the spatial awareness.

Big +1 for seeing alias when someone is talking/on the phone/Radioing

• Like 4

18 hours ago, DrPathetic said:

Gonna play devil's advocate... -1

This bit I do agree with, especially if they need to /vr and even moreso if they do it in a vehicle. I think a compromise of just having ID's over heads that then expands into an alias when you press ALT could be a middle-ground. 

-1 For these reasons

The bigger issue is no one is attempting to stand out and be recognizable, the fact that even after this change people are still asking my crim to take off his mask is baffling to me considering how much I push to make him a unique character. If you can't recognize someone through their voice and personality/character then you probably haven't had a meaningful interaction with them and shouldn't recognize them easily. Once people start to get used to it I think people will start to get used to remembering those that they interact with frequently and push to make themselves standout

On 2/15/2021 at 5:13 PM, Spizor said:

I would like to suggest to instead of having to hold ALT to toggle nametags, make it a toggleable command like /toggletags and it would work the same as /toggletabbed
I know some people might argue that this is done for realism and such and you wouldn't have nametags floating over someone in real life, but, this is a game and there's huge differences on remembering someone on a game rather than IRL.

At the end of the day this is still a game and there has to be boundaries between realism and a game to make it enjoyable 

+1 I 100% agree, I find I struggle with my memory and I find it extremely hard if I need to quote someones ID or name because I cannot see it infront of me, and when you're typing you can't press ALT, so I find that it can make my RP a bit slower, the same with if you are in a large group of people, it is very hard to distinguish where the voice is coming from which makes it even harder when trying to role play because I'm finding I'm having to say 20 times a day who is asking for me and where, where as if it was so that Voip was to show when they are talking I wouldn't have to say who's talking and where is it coming from and also IF it was real life, you would see their mouth moving and have the perception of hearing where exactly the voice is coming from. 

From an accessibility stand point as someone who struggles with brain fog and memory issues because I am considered disabled, I think you should implement a toggle system, because after all it is a game, and I don't really think that being able to see alias's or ID's is something that has ever detrimentally impacted my RP experience unless it was being used for significant MG reasons of course. 

Edited by Nexecuss
wanted to add more info :)
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Maccy said:

-1 For these reasons

The bigger issue is no one is attempting to stand out and be recognizable, the fact that even after this change people are still asking my crim to take off his mask is baffling to me considering how much I push to make him a unique character. If you can't recognize someone through their voice and personality/character then you probably haven't had a meaningful interaction with them and shouldn't recognize them easily. Once people start to get used to it I think people will start to get used to remembering those that they interact with frequently and push to make themselves standout

I would agree with you if the alias system was completely removed/revamped but it still exists with that extra step that you have to take to now which is holding ALT to know who's talking to you or to even report a player which sometimes you cannot catch in time. If this was the way to implement previous suggestions about the alias system, this is not it.

Edited by Spizor
  • Like 1

+1 on making it a toggle ex. /Showids

Iv'e wanted the option to not see ID's/Alias' for a long time, but, now I feel it would be much better as a toggle instead of almost forcing it upon everyone all of a sudden with no middle ground or choice. There is literally no downside to having it as a toggle, it keeps everyone happy 😕

also while we're on this subject i feel /ame's need to show above people's heads even through the id's not being on, as a command it's become useless because you know 80% of people aren't even going to see it. 

Edited by vella
spelling
  • Like 1