Bala

Misdemeanor/Felony Fines [Asset-based $$$ Discount]

Idea

When you receive a misdemeanour or a felony charge in game, you get both an amount of time the charge holds and also, a fine that you have to pay.
What I propose is that similar to how tax effects your salary based on your current assets, we apply a similar discount modifier to the standard fine that a person receives depending on their assets.

There isn't necessarily a lot in this suggestion for established criminals to be honest, but they have the benefit of already having the money, where as coming up as a crim in the server is at times unnecessarily punishing and difficult.

The Problem

We will use Murder as an example.  Currently, Murder comes with a 90 minute jail sentence and a $14,000 fine.
While the practice of fining people for their crimes might help regulate the economy, it also does not take into account how much a person has.
We will look at an individual charge, because I don't wish to over-complicate the suggestion.

$14000 to an established criminal with plenty of assets might be a permissible loss. They know how the prison system works, they are fully aware of the consequences and they can take the hit.
$14000 to a petty criminal, who is just starting out is going to be quite significant. While the IC motive is to deter crime, crime is also a part of the server and I feel like in this scenario, the server is more punishing to someone who might not know how our prison system works than to someone who is clued in and knows what is coming. 

The Solution

My idea is basically to apply a tiered percentage discount on the fines depending on a person's wealth for all misdemeanours and felonies. Citations are for the most part about the price of a change of clothes so it's not really that significant. 

These amounts are placeholders and would be subject to fine tuning at the discretion of whoever implements this but something along the lines of. Also, to be clear, this is not a suggestion to increase fines, only to decrease them based on the appropriate level of assets. I'm not trying to encourage DM or anything like that.

• Assets > $2m = No discount. Murder would still fine the person $14,000.
  • Assets between $1m and $2m = 10% discount. Murder would fine the person $12,600.
  • Assets between $500,000 and $1m = 20% discount. Murder would fine the person $11,200
  • Assets between $250,000 and $500,000 = 35% discount. Murder would fine the person $9,100.
  • Assets below $250,000 = 50% discount. Murder would fine the person $7,000.

You can probably buy a pretty good car for about 300-400k in our server (35%). You can buy a 2g for about double that. (20%)

Not only is this scale a little more fair with the smaller time criminals, a realistic outcome of this is that it might encourage the criminal factions to encourage their newer members to be the ones committing the crimes, which mirrors a more realistic approach. By the end of Scarface, he's not the one doing the small time drug deals is he?

Edited by Bala
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 5

I would definitely agree with this suggestion.  Being a "New" or "Low Level" crim can be very punishing at times, especially if you get caught. Although, i do l think that crims should have to really think about what they are doing and know that there is a very real consequence for their actions, there should be a little leeway for those up and coming crims.