Marcusandrew31

Prison RP and Prison Time

so i wanted to make a suggestion for Prison Rp, i think that it would Make Criminals and DOC have an amazing time in DOC. I feel like it should be enforced more in Prison that prisoners have things to do, the DOC guards can be more involved with the prisoners taking them out to the yard when its time or taking them out to mine, making prisoners who are just AFK in there watching movies or something while they wait for an hour this gives them things to do. This would provide more opportunities for RP, for example, prisoners will try and make more escapes, this will Provide DOC to rp with them which i assume they would like, there can be a shower period where guards can actually watch like IRL or guard outside. instead of having doc search and put them in jail and then just watch catwalks for a few minutes and then leave. i find that this will also make it so that the guards can do more things like search people if they have too, RPLY of course. there are so many rooms in DOC that aren't used by prisoners that can hold all sorts of RP situations. let me know what else DOC can do to make Prison RP better.

• Upvote 2

It isn't doc's responsibility to generate RP for you, you can make your own RP. Why not join DOC and be a guard on an alt and see what its like, its easy to make suggestions but hard for them to be implemented, join the faction on an alt... work there a while, earn a position and work to develop a plan! 100% the easiest and best way to get an idea for change to occur that requires no scripting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jbacon said:

It isn't doc's responsibility to generate RP for you, you can make your own RP. Why not join DOC and be a guard on an alt and see what its like, its easy to make suggestions but hard for them to be implemented, join the faction on an alt... work there a while, earn a position and work to develop a plan! 100% the easiest and best way to get an idea for change to occur that requires no scripting.

yea i see 

standing still being AFK is that how rp is and then at the end you guys are coming and saying that we are not rping dude i tryna to rp with every guard 70 procent off them  they just ignor me and my rp so i think it is more you guys why prison rp is so boring ( noy every guard but the most )

alberto de beast.png

Edited by AlbertoPanchino

@Itssmegol58 "DOC is really boring" and right after you say "I just jump on cod till my sentence is over"...Do you not see the issue with that statement?

But to @Sodapopcurtis main point, So as someone that's High Command at DOC we do actually have stuff in place for more RP opportunities such as officers coming into the cell block for yard time, shower time, food, and exercise and a bunch of other things. Granted, we're limited by the script things that can be done in prison (basically just mining) but we work with what we got. 
Obviously there comes issues such as:

• Some people literally afk
  • A lot of people just start fights for no reason
  • Due to the nature of people always wanting to try and get a prison break we have IC policies regarding the officer:inmate ratio in the cell block which limits the times we can do this since it depends on DOC online vs inmates online which means we can't chill in the cell block all the time
  • For some ridiculous reason, the only script thing for inmates to do requires a pickaxe...which can RPly be used as a weapon so that always has to be taken into consideration (I'm all up for removing mining and replacing it with some better script activities more fitting to a prison)

I've been following a bunch of DOC/prison threads on this forum and I 100% get your frustrations and I personally am working on ways to improve that experience for people to lose the stigma that jail is an OOC punishment but you have to understand there needs to be some give and take also, for example inmates shouldn't just try and 1v1 a guard (primarily when we're coming into the cell block to generate some different RP like all the things you mentioned) as they're armored up and have weapons so trying to 'yoink' a tazer/baton/pistol on the off chance you get admin perms for a prison break after the fact.

About your point that a lot of rooms in DOC aren't used by inmates, true, but they are actually used for various other activities such as processing, medical treatment, solitary and recruitment by the HR department or for inmate items. Believe me, there's not much else in the interior that would be able to generate much RP for inmates, let alone would make much sense to be there.

As I said, some issues stem from the smaller faction number count when compared to PD/SD but I hope you believe me when I say the kind of things you mention in your post are very much things we're trying to push the faction members to do when there's enough people on duty and general duties are quiet (e.g. processing new inmates or retrieving peoples items from front desk or supervising a visitation)

@Jbacon also has a very valid point, Some of the burden for creating RP falls on the inmates also to be willing to let officers in the cell block without a DM fest or 'all pile on the first officer and take them hostage when we dont have prison break perms'. And also them not being afk so often. And as he said, if you joined the faction you'd see a lot of the difficulties and frustrations our end when it comes to trying to generate RP for inmates.

@AlbertoPanchino You know me and how much effort I put into trying to RP with you, so I hope you take my word that if you ever have an officer that does not respond to your RP that if you came to me with details or proof I will 100% chase it up as I push for very high RP levels with my faction members. 

But to summarize, these kind of RP activities is something we're trying to push a lot more recently (I even brought it up in the IC and OOC portions of our command meeting today) so I do hope that you see more of it when it's available and we're not a 24/7 faction, we do have quieter times where it just doesn't make sense officers can come inside the cell block or do things beyond chatting to you from the catwalk when it's not peak times on the server.

And if any of you have any direct non-script suggestions for the DOC on an OOC level you can reach me on discord also at DrPathetic#0001

Edited by DrPathetic
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

9 hours ago, DrPathetic said:

@AlbertoPanchino You know me and how much effort I put into trying to RP with you, so I hope you take my word that if you ever have an officer that does not respond to your RP that if you came to me with details or proof I will 100% chase it up as I push for very high RP levels with my faction members. 

I know you IC i know that you put a lot of Rp with the inmates etc.

but i am not saying everyone i am saying the most of the guards and maybe the new guys are not really doing any rp i know some are trying to put a lot of rp but the most they just dont care 

alberto de beast.png

@DrPathetic yeah i completely understand where your coming from about resources and shit but what im saying is that its not hard to do more you know, like for example the amount of times ive been yelling for a guard to free me from a locked room and its never happened is insane, i once yelled to get out because i was stuck and another guard said what are you gonna do report me if i dont let you out, its stuff like that, i think the guards should act more like guards, no dis to DOC ive had some great RP in prison before dont get me wrong but i feel like im always the one starting the rp off and when i dont and just sit AFK, i either get the shit kicked out of me and die because no DOC comes to help me and bring me to med bay. its small things like that, im sure its gonna take a lot of time for the RP to change in prison  but its good to start with the small things, like having more DOC in the cell block watching so that in influences prisoners to wanna rp more. This also goes with @Jbacon point, it would have to go both ways, if im in prison trying to rp and theres not a single guard in sight, how exactly am i supposed to Rp, with my self?

just small things that will make big changes over time.

I've been in prison on an alt and the sum of my experience there was mining stamps monotonously and being chased around the general population area by two greebos who wanted to punch me for no reason.

Script support doesn't force roleplay but it sure would help. Half of the problems that I can see stem from boredom. 
If the Prisoners are more engaged and well-behaved, the DOC guards can interact with them and that improves their faction and the overall roleplay of the place.

My hat goes off to @Kat and her team for getting as much juice out of that fruit as possible and making it a half decent experience.

If you want ideas, just play prison architect for half an hour.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 5:49 PM, AlbertoPanchino said:

yea i see 

standing still being AFK is that how rp is and then at the end you guys are coming and saying that we are not rping dude i tryna to rp with every guard 70 procent off them  they just ignor me and my rp so i think it is more you guys why prison rp is so boring ( noy every guard but the most )

alberto de beast.png

I was in prison this saturday, (on my crim) I had a Jtime of 85minutes, and the entire time I was in RP with other inmates or doc guards.... I dont recall any of the guards names as I icly called them nick names. "Bud", "Bert", "Doc", "Cutie" we all had a good time, and the guards were constantly in and out of the cell block to interact with me and other inmates. I think there was maybe 5minutes where I wasn't in RP.
I was attacked inside and rather then fighting back I called for guards who came, saved me, isolated the attackers, I had been attacked with a crowbar so we did some medical rp, then I got labeled as a "snitch" so prisoners were constantly trying to catch me alone. It was actually a good time I truly enjoyed it and passed along the positive feed back to the guards and fellow prisoners that were present during my time. And all agreed they enjoyed it.
This all started because I showed a willingness to RP rather then just AFK in my cell.

I will and have thanked the DOC members, whilst some were interested in just chilling, it was clear when RP was presented for them to participate in they were 100% ready and wanting to be apart of it. Hats off to the DOC guys... its a shame people dont follow the RP rules in prison... DM... give me your stamps... give him my 5 stamps then punches me even after complying... or talking to someone in the cell block and then instantly getting beat and killed... folks need to start reporting this and admins policing DOC more would help.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jbacon said:

I was in prison this saturday, (on my crim) I had a Jtime of 85minutes, and the entire time I was in RP with other inmates or doc guards.... I dont recall any of the guards names as I icly called them nick names. "Bud", "Bert", "Doc", "Cutie" we all had a good time, and the guards were constantly in and out of the cell block to interact with me and other inmates. I think there was maybe 5minutes where I wasn't in RP.
I was attacked inside and rather then fighting back I called for guards who came, saved me, isolated the attackers, I had been attacked with a crowbar so we did some medical rp, then I got labeled as a "snitch" so prisoners were constantly trying to catch me alone. It was actually a good time I truly enjoyed it and passed along the positive feed back to the guards and fellow prisoners that were present during my time. And all agreed they enjoyed it.
This all started because I showed a willingness to RP rather then just AFK in my cell.

I will and have thanked the DOC members, whilst some were interested in just chilling, it was clear when RP was presented for them to participate in they were 100% ready and wanting to be apart of it. Hats off to the DOC guys... its a shame people dont follow the RP rules in prison... DM... give me your stamps... give him my 5 stamps then punches me even after complying... or talking to someone in the cell block and then instantly getting beat and killed... folks need to start reporting this and admins policing DOC more would help.

Hey Bacon. It depends on the timezone and the players that are currently online at that time. Some new players only want to fist fight until death for no apparent reason while others try to get isolated for the rest of their sentence so they can watch Netflix in peace. I'd say you were lucky.

• Upvote 1

well when I went in there was no one, a couple guys logged in were afk, but as soon as rp kicked off they joined in. When people realize that jail isn't a place to afk and start to rp thats when you will see it increase in activity. When the majority choose to afk thats when it becomes an afk place. Like DOC has said, less trying to jump the guards and more trying to rp with them will increase their ability to come in and rp with you!

While it would be fun to have more things to do, I often find if you put the effert into the RP, the guards are more inclined to RP with you.

I have a crim that frequents DOC and is known as a HVT because of the RP that I bring forth. They put in some of the best RP in the server regarding the handling of inmates that actually attempt to RP with them. 

They do have a prison scheduel where they go into the cell block and RP with the inmates, but with the inmate mentality of "A guard, lets punch them and break out." It simply isn't done as often as they would like. I think rather than complaining about the guards not doing anything, it would be more valuble to make some suggestions about how they can improve things scriptly.

For example: Adding more jobs that inmates can do to get stamps. Cooking, Cleaning, or other things. This would give people more insentive to make stamps, and either play poker with them or buy something from the store/buy less time. I have never seen the poker table actually be used in prison as it's just way too annoying to get your hands on stamps.

Big up DOC for the work they put in.

• Like 1