Sam Axe

Fix or Remove the unmarked cop cars!

little bias on this. my civ account ive been using for 11 months has just basically been ruined because of this so im pretty mad. currently there is some type of unmarked police car script cops can use now. however it is broken AF and needs to be fixed sense me and many others are likely getting really shrewed over because of it. 

all this does is puts a single non flashing red light to the top of a car that can be added or removed at will. today i was playing on my civ account and came into contact while doing totally legal stuff. (i swear, it was legal). so i get confronted by a random guy in a minivan, he starts to complement me on my car and then after a few mins of this i say i have to go do some stuff (mining) he says, "stay right there, im lspd and your gonna sit your a** in that car" he then gets out and doesnt have a gun or shoes. only proof he has he tells me that he's a cop and thats his unmarked minivan and black bulletproof vest. now how many people would believe someone like that? so i assume the guy is getting ready to steal my car and is stalling for time till his buddy gets here and leaves. he then chases me in a minivan which only now he applies this single non flashing light to. and no siren btw, not seeing this before i dont know what the f*** is going on and trying to get away from this guy thinking hes modding or something being able to keep up to a sultan in A MINIVAN!. after a min or so a lspd cruiser joins in, as soon as he turns his lights on i pull over and get slapped with felony evading. what was 11 months on almost daily play and hard work is f***ed because starsky sold their minivan and it got bought by the lspd. the point is, even tho im likely to stop playing for a long time after this due to 11 months of my life wasted because of a non flashing light doesnt mean others have to. i like the undercover idea and yes, there are unmarked cop cars in real life but the cops dont install the lights only once the chase started. the system needs to be fixed so im suggesting the following

i get they need to be undercover but when a rando walks up to you in a civ outfit claiming he's a cop driving a praire with a light up top i dont think anyone would think its really a cop and shouldnt get hit with felony evading for not stopping for it. now if they see police lights like the undercover cars ig or atleast something actually flashing and with a siren i think people would believe it and take face value more. rather then think "this guy is trying to steal my car. ima gtfo" like in my case. i had no idea the guy was a cop and until marked cars showed up i was 100% sure he was lying and did something similar to what i did in the pics, or was a modder. 

the light needs to actually flash like a police light or something like it. a single nonflashing red airport runway light used to signify a unmarked cop car doesnt need to be explained on how ridiculous it is

sirens should also be available via script like the light or vehicle mod so only cops could apply. 

have the /siren command activate both the flashing red light and siren, create a /siren 2 command that would turn off the siren. this would instantly make it clear to people its actually a cop and not a bug, modder or police impersonator

well there it is. hopefully ill see you all later but this really did it for me i think. gl and to all those rp'ing hopefully you enjoy the game.

edit: some people think me saying this can be exploited by (police impersonators) is unrealistic and doesnt happen. i did this in 10 minutes. rp'd buying a laptop to make it appear as i have the ability to "/amy Opens their police MDC" at traffic stops, printed the fake badge on the computer ig and bought the fake lights to put in the car at a furniture store. obviously this was all done on the server and i already got rid of the stuff but its just proof its way to easy to do and doesnt look like a cop vehicle at all. 

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Edited by Sam Axe
added the pics

You like undercover work, but you want those doing it to drive around with a siren on it?
In your circumstances, cops have to formally identify themselves so why wouldn't you ask for them to show you some identification?

I'm not sure LSPD's detectives should lose the ability to do what is already a different job, because you didn't think to ask more questions.

There is no "fix" to be made here, whether or not a detective places a siren on their vehicle is a matter of personal choice and if it was to be enforced, it would have to be enforced in-character.

• Upvote 1

Totally an IC issue, definitely fill in an IA report though. Sounds like the officer should have shown you his badge straight away as soon as he told you to stay in the vehicle. I'd say they should even force it through /showbadge rather than RPing the /mes and /dos to avoid any situations like this

You like undercover work, but you want those doing it to drive around with a siren on it?
In your circumstances, cops have to formally identify themselves so why wouldn't you ask for them to show you some identification?

I'm not sure LSPD's detectives should lose the ability to do what is already a different job, because you didn't think to ask more questions.

There is no "fix" to be made here, whether or not a detective places a siren on their vehicle is a matter of personal choice and if it was to be enforced, it would have to be enforced in-character.

Would you say it's an IC issue if the feature was introduced where people could buy spray cans and use them while in the vehicle and it's moving? And then after this update people begin fleeing from police and as soon as they turn a corner instantly spray paint their car another color and claimed that they were never stopped in the first place? Also I did ask the cop to identify themselves and his identification was "im a cop". Never showed a badge or anything and while I was in jail two other people were in there for similar reasons. Many civilians don't think is there actual cops driving around an extremely high priced vehicles wearing street clothes. All that I'm saying is if it's going to be role-played that it's an undercover car when it be a cool is less than a foot away and has an emergency light on it you should be able to see it if they're going to use it as justification for giving someone a felony

Edited by Sam Axe

Totally an IC issue, definitely fill in an IA report though. Sounds like the officer should have shown you his badge straight away as soon as he told you to stay in the vehicle. I'd say they should even force it through /showbadge rather than RPing the /mes and /dos to avoid any situations like this

I did but if we're going to be honest it's incredibly unlikely a ia report will be accepted. The person is of a very significant rank and usually in cases like that it's put down. Like I said in my post I'm not trying to say cops should not be able to use unmarked vehicles all I am saying is if they're going to use them there should be some form of consistent ability to tell that vehicle is unmarked if the person inside it isn't going to wear a uniform and then claimed that the invisible light did they don't activate until a Chase start was supposed to be proof when they made contact with you in the first place when you can't see the light

You could probably IA report this In-Character and have the charge dropped. In most US states, as far as I know, whether a cruiser is marked, has sirens, or the officer is uniformed, plays a role in charging someone for felony evading. Doesn't hurt to try eh?

I used to work in sa gov on aother char and can tell you that the majority of IA reports go completely and utterly ignored or denied. A lot of the time from my understanding was people file them as a way to get payback if you will and because IA knows this, rejects a lot of them unless it is blindly obvious the cop broke some form of law when conducting the situation.  Or the officers of extremely low rank it makes a huge mistake

Maybe like a red light on top of the car?

Yes! But the cop should not be able to remove the light at will so that it's invisible until a Police Chase Begins where then it gets activated and they slap you with felony evading because he turned on a light that was previously not there when they're close to you. That's why I'm suggesting they have to leave the light there so people once extremely close to the vehicle can actually tell it's an unmarked car by seeing the turned off light. Otherwise, what's to stop me from going to the furniture store and buying a red light I'm putting it on my car and begin conducting traffic stops where I Rob people

Edited by Sam Axe

I believe the idea relates to the below. Some undercover cars have a removable beacon, notice the wire out the back. If the cars had a permanent beacon.. well then it wouldn't be undercover.. For me the mistake here was and IC one, you should have asked for proof of identification, you didn't do this and chose to evade which you've succumbed to the consequences. 

A policeman puts the blue light on roof of an Undercover police ...

Edited by Stimo

1. A megaphone was used to ask you to pull over. That should have been your first indication that it might have actually been a cop since no other faction or vehicle can have those other than law enforcement.

2. The passenger of the “undercover” vehicle was in full uniform. If you’ve been on the server as long as you say you have, you should have recognized that.

3. You said “if you’re really a cop, call your backup” before driving off.
It is completely an IC issue that could have gone much differently. As everyone said, ask for identification next time if you don’t believe it. Cops are supposed to show you their badge upon request. If they didn’t, then that’s definitely IA report worthy.

• Upvote 2

I believe the idea relates to the below. Some undercover cars have a removable beacon, notice the wire out the back. If the cars had a permanent beacon.. well then it wouldn't be undercover.. For me the mistake here was and IC one, you should have asked for proof of identification, you didn't do this and chose to evade which you've succumbed to the consequences. 

A policeman puts the blue light on roof of an Undercover police ...

yes, some cars do have that but again. that its a rotary emergency light which dpesmt display a color. and the car has a siren in it so people can verify it is a cop car and not some guy who bought a $20 light on amazon. to counter this almost all major police departments in the country have gotten rid of using this system of lights due to it being dangerous and easily manipulated by police impostors. i get your point but ig i could do the same thing. i could go buy a red light at the furniture stop, park my car in the road near my house and put the light on my car. then do a fake sobriety checkpoint and rob people. thats the issue. its not something that realistically would prove they are a cop

yes, some cars do have that but again. that its a rotary emergency light which dpesmt display a color. and the car has a siren in it so people can verify it is a cop car and not some guy who bought a $20 light on amazon. to counter this almost all major police departments in the country have gotten rid of using this system of lights due to it being dangerous and easily manipulated by police impostors. i get your point but ig i could do the same thing. i could go buy a red light at the furniture stop, park my car in the road near my house and put the light on my car. then do a fake sobriety checkpoint and rob people. thats the issue. its not something that realistically would prove they are a cop

I feel you, but the ID would have.

1. A megaphone was used to ask you to pull over. That should have been your first indication that it might have actually been a cop since no other faction or vehicle can have those other than law enforcement.

2. The passenger of the “undercover” vehicle was in full uniform. If you’ve been on the server as long as you say you have, you should have recognized that.

3. You said “if you’re really a cop, call your backup” before driving off.
It is completely an IC issue that could have gone much differently. As everyone said, ask for identification next time if you don’t believe it. Cops are supposed to show you their badge upon request. If they didn’t, then that’s definitely IA report worthy.

your right, it is a ic issue which is why i changed some basic facts such as location, vehicle, and persons involved to hide the identity of people. your reference to a megaphone being used doesnt make ic sense because when sound travels it hits hills, trees, rocks and ect.... not sink to the ground and go to only 1 guy, especially when its facing a different direction.(until rewatching the footage i never even realized you guys used a megaphone btw) a uniformed cop stayed in a tinted dark car in a dark uniform sitting above the car on it opposite side. lets not argue on a suggestion form. this is only suppose to be a suggestion to fix something thats more a bug exploitable by players vs fair. nothing is stopping players from pretenting to be fake cops by using this system currently. i could go to the furniture store, buy a red glowing light and place it on my car near my house and say im doing a checkpoint and rob people. its really unrealistic.

Edited by Sam Axe

@Sam Axe  From what you have said I think you have the issue with getting the charge when you didn’t know he was a police officer.  You can make a In character IA report for that. There is nothing OOC you can do. 

i know that. an admin i talked to said they would discuss it as possible powergaming sense the light can be hidden and then get arrested for not seeing it but i just think the light thing is a problem still unless its somehow static or flashing. especially when in jail 3 other people were in there for the same thing not realizing it was a cop. only difference was they kept going in there situations when cops showed up

Edited by Sam Axe

I feel you, but the ID would have.

the cop in question kinda refused to. i did ask but more specifically he said his uniform (only a black vest) was proof after being asked about a badge. then the guy starts coming to my car like he's about to carjack me. i just think the system in right now is extremely poorly thought out for ecrp. the light system should be much more obvious and realistic as currently people could easily impersonate cops with this. not needing a siren, or uniform and only a non flashing light to "Prove your a cop" should really be more thought out

@Sam Axe Looking at the image that light is on the wall and not on your car....

yea, but if someone pulled up in a car behind you and that suddenly appeared and told you they were a cop, had a gun, and badge would you believe them? also this was at the weazel news office. the furniture worked really far away. 

Edited by Sam Axe

@Sam Axe you got a video of you putting the light on? in the middle of the street? As the furniture you use can only be built where you have building permissions. So driving around it would not work.

but thats driving, im talking about a car pulling up beside you and doing that while you are stopped. not driving. if you are in my case where they pulled up beside me, said they were cops and used that light that doesnt exist until a command is entered and then say it was there the entire time?. if they do it in transit and you dont see it because like in my case, i was a nice distance away from them. you get hit with felony evading because you couldnt see a non existing light that they have to use a command to actually appear

1. IC issue

2. Aren't the cops here suggestion Sam axe do some mixing by asking he act as if his character would have ooc knowledge that megaphones and lights can't be installed onto cars?

Realistically, I can go have a megaphone, lights, and siren system put on my car for a couple hours work and a couple hundred bucks. So why are these cops insisting we mix and operate under the knowledge only cops scriptly can have a megaphone. He doesn't know on his civ whether Triads or someone has begun putting lights and megaphones on their cars.

actually thats right. really good point also reinforcing this.