fullfart

Was this robbery unrealistic?

So me and my friend decided to rob a guy at a gas station in the middle of the desert, we had masks, there were no witnesses and it happend during night time. Keep in mind, these types of robberies happen every day in USA. So this is not anything unrealistic. He claims the area was not secluded, how more secluded can it be than in the middle of the desert?

I saved the video so you can take a look the conversation and share your opinion of whether im right or wrong.

The Admin decided to kick me where he claims I had a bad attitude, I had no bad attitude I just argumentet against his points and he had no valid answer so he decided to kick me to redo the application process.

Video link: https://streamable.com/zt7vom

EDIT BELOW:

His claims and mine

His claim:  A car worth 10k chopping plus a gun is not a good reward. My claim: people steal cars that are worth 3k chopping and scam people on guns worth 3-5k, so how cant a total of 13-15k be a good reward?

His claim:  A lonely gas station at night in the desert is a highly populated area. My claim: These kind of gas stations get robbed daily in the USA. So if a lonely gas station is a populated are, what is the los santos bank compared to that?

His claim: Gas stations are poplulated with cameras. My claim: What can a CCTV do against two robbers with masks?

EDIT 2 Below: 

Here are some real life stats of where real life robberies happen.

• 2% of robberies happen at banks.
  • 2.5% of robberies occur at gas stations.
  • 16% of robberies happen in a victim’s residence.
  • 6% of robberies take place at convenience stores.
  • 43% of robberies take place on streets and highways.
  • 14% of robberies occur at commercial housing complexes (apartments/condos).
  • Approximately 17% of robberies transpire in locations other than those listed above!

These stats are out of 400,000 incidents a year. 2.5 procent of that is 10.000.

Source: https://www.globalsecurityexperts.com/home-security-2/crime-prevention-advice/robbery-statistics-and-tips.html
Edited by fullfart

You have to think, would you rob someone here IRL and not be seen.. unfortunately with RAGE we have ghost towns, but in real life areas, like the one you chose, would have people using the road.. the shops in the area.. the gas station..
Sometimes common sense is required when performing these acts so we can be as close to realism as possible. Just because no one on the server was around, does't make the area secluded. 

I haven't played on the server for some time, but I believe the direction the staff want these robberies to be taken are.. away from what would seem public areas.. go down an alley way.. behind a wall.. in the woods/forest.. etc.

Hopefully this helps a little. 

Edited by Stimo

5 minutes ago, Stimo said:

You have to think, would you rob someone here IRL and not be seen.. unfortunately with RAGE we have ghost towns, but in real life areas, like the one you chose, would have people using the road.. the shops in the area.. the gas station..
Sometimes common sense is required when performing these acts so we can be as close to realism as possible. Just because no one on the server was around, does't make the area secluded. 

I haven't played on the server for some time, but I believe the direction the staff want these robberies to be taken are.. away from what would seem public areas.. go down an alley way.. behind a wall.. in the woods/forest.. etc.

Hopefully this helps a little. 

So you are telling me robberis only happen in alleys and forests? That's highly unlikely. I feel that the person that gets robbed are sore losers who cant deal with the downs in a RP scenario. Everything has ups and downs. If you remove the downs then it will be unrealistic and boring. This basically makes it impossible to rob people. Which is unrealistic and boring.

Just now, fullfart said:

So you are telling me robberis only happen in alleys and forests? That's highly unlikely. I feel that the person that gets robbed are sore losers who cant deal with the downs in a RP scenario. Everything has ups and downs. If you remove the downs then it will be unrealistic and boring. This basically makes it impossible to rob people. Which is unrealistic and boring.

They were clearly just examples of places to rob.
You've asked a question here and I answered with an alternate opinion to express why it may have seen the way it was seen. 

1 minute ago, fullfart said:

What is stated in their rules? That you cant rob at gas stations?

"Moving forward, we're going to disallow robberies from taking place in areas that would realistically be populated or areas with many player witnesses. Areas that are realistically populated could be highways, clothing stores, gas stations etc etera. "

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yputi said:

"Moving forward, we're going to disallow robberies from taking place in areas that would realistically be populated or areas with many player witnesses. Areas that are realistically populated could be highways, clothing stores, gas stations etc etera. "

How come there are witnesses in crimes IRL? Well because crime happens even tough there are witnesses. This law enforces civilian life and downgrade criminal life in this server. This rule is not even stated in the rules. Where did you find this information?

Just now, fullfart said:

How come there are witnesses in crimes IRL? Well because crime happens even tough there are witnesses. This law enforces civilian life and downgrade criminal life in this server. This rule is not even stated in the rules. Where did you find this information?

Honestly, best thing you can do RN is just learn from it and use that info. There is nothing that can be done. Now you know and you have the option to return 😄 It can't be reverted anyway

23 minutes ago, Stimo said:

They were clearly just examples of places to rob.
You've asked a question here and I answered with an alternate opinion to express why it may have seen the way it was seen. 

Obviously, but then again, there's also the no high-risk, low-reward rule in place—and these combined really limit the number of opportunities a criminal can perform the act of robbery.

Wouldn't this then mean that for a robbery to be considered valid, you'd have to hide in the woods or an alley way, and hope that somebody you've previously interacted with, and had gathered sufficient OOC evidence that he'd IC-ly "objectively" be "worth robbing", randomly comes and walks through that area alone?

I understand that the server had an unreasonable amount of robbery occurrences, to the point where players expected to be robbed the very instant they found themselves outside a NCZ, but I don't think this is the way to solve that problem... it's the opposite extreme and will only lead to further destroying and limiting the criminal roleplay.

Edited by Tyrone Stokes
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Stokes said:

Obviously, but then again, there's also the no high-risk, low-reward rule in place—and these combined really limit the number of opportunities a criminal can perform the act of robbery.

Wouldn't this then mean that for a robbery to be considered valid, you'd have to hide in the woods or an alley way, and hope that somebody you've previously interacted with, and had gathered sufficient OOC evidence that he'd IC-ly "objectively" be "worth robbing", randomly comes and walks through that area alone?

I understand that the server had an unreasonable amount of robbery occurrences, to the point where players expected to be robbed as soon as they'd leave the NCZ, but I don't think this is the way to solve that problem... it's the opposite extreme and will only lead to further destroying and limiting the criminal roleplay.

You're 100% right. The criminal life in this server is boring and extremly limited. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gekko said:

Server is trying to move from shitty rp, stop being like a fucking ex and looking at the past how it was before, just move on and improve yourself.

Shitty RP? You mean boring RP with just talking and no action? There is nothing to afraid of and your permit for you gun will be useless because you will never get to use it. It's like DAYZ, you hate dying and starting over, but that risk makes the game so much more fun and exciting. They are removing a core element with this new no robbing rules.

11 minutes ago, fullfart said:

Shitty RP? You mean boring RP with just talking and no action? There is nothing to afraid of and your permit for you gun will be useless because you will never get to use it. It's like DAYZ, you hate dying and starting over, but that risk makes the game so much more fun and exciting. They are removing a core element with this new no robbing rules.

Boring RP with just talking no action?  You're litteraly just said what you're after for. THIS IS A CORE ELEMENT FOR PEOPLE THAT KNOWS FUCK ALL ABOUT RP'ING.    (((And to the people who thinks that talking RP is boring I suggest you to start actually looking into streamers who plays on nopixel and most of their roleplay experience is based on TALKING and they never rob random people for no reason))

Do you know you can still fuck with a people just got to know how to do that? YOU understand that WORDS can lead to ACTIONS? (Thing is that you don't want to get into confrontation, because then they might get a gun out and oh boy oh boy, you don't want to lose, you're just for that FearRP) Do you get such simple things?
NO YOU don't because the only thing you can do is "HAAAANDS OOOP" to a player who tries to fill up his gas. Players with rp like yours plagued this server for years and years to the point where most of the criminals thinks this is a norm and once server clearly said we're trying to move from this, we're still going to do it...

And you question that it's not a shity RP? That's how 100% your whole robbing rp goes into:
Hands oop i have a gun
You move I shoot
/ME pats the man down
/DO success?
/ME attempts to take items away
/Do success?

LETS DIP DIP DIP DIP

Edited by Gekko
  • NAY 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, kenichis said:

Robberies IRL have witnesses that can direct the police. In Eclipse its not possible. Plus what are you gonna rob anyways? A GPS? Theres no point.

And It's not even about robberies, but people mentality on this server + FEARRP makes braindead robberies so OP. Most of the people won't be mad to lose their shit if it was worth losing = if they will get a good roleplay out of it.

And about the FearRP part. My best friend brother was police officer for 20 years in America... and he always said, shitties day was when you have to pull a gun out on someone, because people are going crazy then and it doesnt mean that they ain't afraid of their life. But people get such huge adrenaline rush that they don't understand what the fuck is going on, they might run, try to fight (yeah against a gun, bare fists), piss themelves, scream, start crying and so on and so on. But in this server rules state that if someone pulls a gun out on you, you're their bitch and it never helped for robbing mentality in this server.

• NAY 1

I'm open to changing my mind on this but what everyone else is saying doesn't invalidate the OP's points.

It's 10:30 PM in game time. That means that there will be a small amount of people on the roads/in the area because people will be in bed or at home. He's in an already rural part of the map which would also reduce the amount of people on the roads. He's fully masked up and unidentifiable and has found someone alone in the dark with not a lot of people around

IMO, that's the exact type of environment we should be robbing in. I took the new rule to mean that we can't rob someone at mid-day in a clothing store because that would be totally unrealistic (lots of people around, and in an already crowded area during peak times.

If not here, then where can people do this kind of roleplay?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dashingly said:

I'm open to changing my mind on this but what everyone else is saying doesn't invalidate the OP's points.

It's 10:30 PM in game time. That means that there will be a small amount of people on the roads/in the area because people will be in bed or at home. He's in an already rural part of the map which would also reduce the amount of people on the roads. He's fully masked up and unidentifiable and has found someone alone in the dark with not a lot of people around

IMO, that's the exact type of environment we should be robbing in. I took the new rule to mean that we can't rob someone at mid-day in a clothing store because that would be totally unrealistic (lots of people around, and in an already crowded area during peak times.

If not here, then where can people do this kind of roleplay?

That's my point, I'm glad some people understand.

11 minutes ago, fullfart said:

That's my point, I'm glad some people understand.

yeah i definitely see where you're coming from and I'm not even a player who does the whole "Hands up this is a robbery" type RP. I 100% don't think that what you did should be against the rules. It seems like everyone is taking the rule literally to a tee that you can't do any robberies in public, when that just should not be the case.

Honestly, if you're not allowed to rob someone at 10:30PM in the middle of a rural area with no one around, then where would you be able to aside from the woods or some obscure shit like that.

Why are store robberies still allowed if what you did is against the rules lol? Just remove /grabcash and delete the shopkeeper. I mean I know that you robbed a real player, but still the point stands, if you're in such a high populated area, then why are any stores allowed to be robbed at all. They are the literal definition of high risk, low reward. You get maybe a few hundred $ for a potential huge sentence

EDIT: excellent points made by @Ryzoft I would definitely make an appeal if you got in trouble for this. From day one of this rule break I knew that it would lead to situations like this where the rule is so ambiguous that you could get in trouble for something that you shouldn't have gotten in trouble for. It should be reworded, or at least explained better.

Edited by Dashingly

38 minutes ago, kenichis said:

Robberies IRL have witnesses that can direct the police. In Eclipse its not possible. Plus what are you gonna rob anyways? A GPS? Theres no point.

If robbing people where witnesses are like in the city, they would phone the police, and also there are more than a GPS to obtain. Also there's a point, the RP. Criminal RP. YOu're basically suggesting to remove criminal RP. This server should be called Eclipse No Criminal only civilian RP

2 minutes ago, fullfart said:

If robbing people where witnesses are like in the city, they would phone the police, and also there are more than a GPS to obtain. Also there's a point, the RP. Criminal RP. YOu're basically suggesting to remove criminal RP. This server should be called Eclipse No Criminal only civilian RP

90% of the time these robberies have little to no RP involved. "Hands" and /me pats down is not RP.

If you really wanted to RP, you can hop in the victims car, hold him up silently using /me and tell him to drive somewhere more remote. After that you can do what you please to him. That is called RP, not "hands hands" and taking people's GPS' off

7 minutes ago, Ryzoft said:

I think there are a lot of factors to be considered here. Lets remember that we are playing on a roleplay server intended to be fun at its core. Rules are supposed to protect players but not serve as a safety net for IC situations. The rule is extremely vague and subjective. Lets break down the rule and look at the problems with it. 

Robberies are to be conducted in a realistic manner and require the robber to have a reasonable in character motive. High risk, but little reward robberies are deemed unrealistic and should not be performed. Robberies should be performed in secluded areas where there is a low chance to be seen by witnesses.

So firstly,

Robberies are to be conducted in a realistic manner 

This means that, while conducting a robbery you would have a weapon and a covered face to conceal your identity. 

require the robber to have a reasonable in character motive. High risk, but little reward robberies are deemed unrealistic and should not be performed.

This is where things get opinionated. These are extremely vague and should definitely be clarified in the future. In my opinion seeing someone with a pistol, high value car is a good enough reward. Little reward would be if the player has no pistol, is driving a low valued car and is simply minding their own business. This is to protect legal RPers and I respect that fully. 

Robberies should be performed in secluded areas where there is a low chance to be seen by witnesses.

Now, this is also very subjective. From the video seen it is an empty gas station in the middle of nowhere. In a realistic scinario there would not be anyone here or maybe at the most 1 other person likely inside the store. Gas stations in the desert are NOT busy populated areas at all and if you simply google desert gas station on google you can see hundreds of pictures of empty lonely gas stations looking just like the scenario posted. There was a low chance a witness would pass by and see this robbery. 

Lets discuss "realism"

The point of realism is to make us feel immersed in this roleplay world. However, we must also remember this is a game that we want to enjoy and have fun on. Now I will accept that in the city in the middle of one of the busiest roads in the middle of the day is not realistic at all. Now, this is in the case that you are literally in the middle of the road with 5 men all surrounded them with large guns. What is a realistic robbery in the day light on a busy street? They happen and I can assure you they are not rare at all. Robberies take place on busy places in the day as much as night. How would you conduct a realistic robbery in the day on a busy street? Here are some ideas but with the vague language of the rules are still not allowed. 

Pocket robbery 

/me would put his hand into his pocket and grabs ahold of his pistol making it point out the jacket 

/me would make a head gesture to signal [player] to look at the pistol 

"You see this? You want to die?"

This player would now be under fearRP as RPly a pistol is pointed at him and he would be forced to quickly hand over his possessions. 

This is a realistic robbery that happens in cities all the time. Mostly with knives however it still happens with guns. A gas station in the middle of nowhere in my opinion would be a valid place to rob someone as long as there are no witnesses (REAL PLAYERS)

Do these look like busy high risk areas to you? 

ANruebq.png

szQGUEP.png

I would high recommend appealing this using the points I have stated.  

I agree with you 100%, how would I go about to appeal this?

Hello.

If you have an issue with a decision that a member of staff made, please follow the instructions in this thread to appeal it:

https://forum.eclipse-rp.net/topic/5706-punishment-appeal-requirements-must-read-before-posting/

Community discussion is a critical part of our forums, however, directly discussing/criticizing/attacking a specific administrative decision is not something that should be happening in this section. The correct way to approach a decision that you are unhappy with is via the aforementioned appeal system.

If you wish to suggest a change in the way a certain thing is handled in the community, such as but not limited to game suggestions, rule suggestions, forum suggestions, visit this section and formulate your ideas honestly: https://forum.eclipse-rp.net/forum/7-community-suggestions/

Thread locked and archived.

Sincerely,

alexalex303

• Like 2
  • Confused 1