Tommy Capone

File item to file off serial numbers

Currently if you want to RP filing off a serial number on gun, the OOC evidence of that RP is only valid for 48 hours. This is unrealistic as if I we're to file a serial number off in real life, it wouldn't grow back after two days. This currently severely restricts what you can do with guns that have a serial number leading back to you. I am suggesting a file you can buy at stores that when you use while holding a gun removes the serial number off that gun. I think the file item should sell for at least half the price of  a laptop. On the topic, gun traces are very unrealistic compared to the US IRL. IRL when the police look up the serial number of a gun it doesn't tell them who the owner is, just whether that gun was reported stolen or linked to any crimes. If police recover a gun in a crime they can't just look up who the owner is either. Police have to go to the ATF and then get the name of the gun store that originally sold the gun, then go to that store and get the name of the person who bought that gun, after that they go to the original purchaser and its he says she says as to what happened with the gun. IRL that is the only way police can find out who is the owner of a gun. I think this should change to be more realistic. Let me know what you guys think.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

While ECRP tries to mimic real life, there are some things that cannot be mimicked to pure perfection due to a multitude of factors and therefore things have to be simplified. Your example of the process to finding the owner of a gun also relies on the fact that these officers and departments IRL run on dedicated work shifts, are available when you need them, have a significant staffing size, etc. You have to remember that this is still a game, people aren't around 24/7 be it on shift or not. As far as the 48 hour rule for evidence - again yes, not fully realistic, but it's perfectly placed to prevent obnoxious powergaming and constantly limiting RP for others because of something that was done 6 OOC months ago (using 6 months as an example). 

-1 from me

Edited by Aldarine

4 minutes ago, Aldarine said:

While ECRP tries to mimic real life, there are some things that cannot be mimicked to pure perfection due to a multitude of factors and therefore things have to be simplified. Your example of the process to finding the owner of a gun also relies on the fact that these officers and departments IRL run on dedicated work shifts, are available when you need them, have a significant staffing size, etc. You have to remember that this is still a game, people aren't around 24/7 be it on shift or not. As far as the 48 hour rule for evidence - again yes, not fully realistic, but it's perfectly placed to prevent obnoxious powergaming and constantly limiting RP for others because of something that was done 6 OOC months ago (using 6 months as an example). 

-1 from me

The suggestion is for a purchasable “file” item to remove the serial number from a weapon permanently - not to create an ATF faction or to change the rules surrounding  RP being valid for 48 hours. 

Edited by Zion Willard

18 minutes ago, Zion Willard said:

The suggestion is for a purchasable “file” item to remove the serial number from a weapon permanently - not to create an ATF faction or to change the rules surrounding  RP being valid for 48 hours. 

The suggestion in itself would give you an item that would circumvent a rule. Having a method of permanently removing a serial number blatantly goes against an already established rule in the server which falls under Powergaming. I believe nothing should be implemented that easily gives players the ability to influence future RP for an unlimited amount of time. People are already free to re-RP filing the serial number off a gun every 48 hours (should their character not have died and NLR triggered). Also OP mentioned tracing a gun IC does not match IRL and I commented on the need for flexibility in things like this due to ECRP still being a game. 

My -1 still stands. If you want to remove a serial number, do it RPly every 48 hours and keep time stamped evidence.

Edited by Aldarine

6 minutes ago, Aldarine said:

The suggestion in itself would give you an item that would circumvent a rule. Having a method of permanently removing a serial number blatantly goes against an already established rule in the server which falls under Powergaming. I believe nothing should be implemented that easily gives players the ability to influence future RP for an unlimited amount of time. People are already free to re-RP filing the serial number off a gun every 48 hours (should their character not have died and NLR triggered). Also OP mentioned tracing a gun IC does not match IRL and I commented on the need for flexibility in things like this due to ECRP still being a game. 

My -1 still stands. If you want to remove a serial number, do it RPly every 48 hours and keep time stamped evidence.

Typically the filing is done by the seller to protect themselves from being caught reselling legal weapons purchased with firearms licenses. Once they are filed, they are then sold. Because of this, they don't have the gun anymore to continue filing every 48 hours.

For this to be a viable option, there would have to be a secondary way to track the firearm (there may already be, I'm not sure). This needs to be in place to track rule breakers (people giving legally purchased firearms to their alts).

16 minutes ago, Aldarine said:

I don't quite understand how being able file a serial number off would constitute powergaming? If anything I think would open up RP more. Like @Brawnkoh said, if I don't have the gun any longer I can't RP filing off the serial number. Maybe to balance it, make it cost 4k and make it a 1 time use item?

49 minutes ago, Aldarine said:

-1 from me

my point with the firearm tracing system is that realistically if you get stopped with a firearm, and the police enter in the serial number the most the police can tell is whether it is stolen or been linked to a crime. I'm not saying i want it to be life like where it takes two weeks to find out who the owner is. I'm saying realistically the police wouldn't be able to tell who the owner is until its been used and recovered in a crime, assuming its serial number is still intact.

Edited by Tommy Capone
adding on

15 minutes ago, Tommy Capone said:

I don't quite understand how being able file a serial number off would constitute powergaming? If anything I think would open up RP more. Like @Brawnkoh said, if I don't have the gun any longer I can't RP filing off the serial number. Maybe to balance it, make it cost 4k and make it a 1 time use item?

It's just a sublisting on the powergaming rule regarding actions that have potential to influence future RP scenarios that's all. I can see where something like a file item would be useful for illegally selling legal firearms but I would just rather see roleplay of checking the firearm to make sure you are using the correct one that was scratched off previously or refiling the serial number after purchase to ensure the seller did it properly and have all of your evidence compiled should you ever need it. I just really don't agree with an item that can permanently change something with such long lasting effect but that's also just me. 🙂

Edited by Aldarine

1 minute ago, Aldarine said:

It's just a sublisting on the powergaming rule regarding actions that have potential to influence future RP scenarios that's all. I can see where something like a file item would be useful for illegally selling legal firearms but I would just rather see roleplay of checking the firearm to make sure you are using the correct one that was scratched off previously or refiling the serial number after purchase to ensure the seller did it properly and have all of your evidence compiled should you ever need it. I just really don't agree with an item that can permanently change something with such long lasting effect.

I understand that, but I don't think it would be powergaming. At this time selling legally acquired guns and not getting caught is pretty much impossible cause you cant count on people to continue to RP filing the serial number off every 48 hours. I'm suggesting a way to sell legally acquired guns and not have it come back to bite you 48 hours later everytime. Something that at this point isn't possible. 

4 hours ago, Brawnkoh said:

Typically the filing is done by the seller to protect themselves from being caught reselling legal weapons purchased with firearms licenses. Once they are filed, they are then sold. Because of this, they don't have the gun anymore to continue filing every 48 hours.

For this to be a viable option, there would have to be a secondary way to track the firearm (there may already be, I'm not sure). This needs to be in place to track rule breakers (people giving legally purchased firearms to their alts).

So what if, when it was filed it would say [SERIAL NUMBER] 1---1051--- like they're filed. and then in OOC Chat it would read ((10001051880)) So we can still check if someone is giving guns to an alt

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.