DarkGrape

Flaws of The Legal System and other details

You have to remember that this is also a game and nobody wants to sit around for hours on end constantly recording/clipping and doing paperwork. Those in legal factions, especially PD, have a ton of paperwork following their time on duty as it already is.

As far as the issue with "a cops word" goes, there are corruption rules in place which make it so this is possible. 

All in all, a legal system will take some time to implement and I'm sure that should it be considered, lots of time and thought will go into it. Right now, any issues with the way PD does things for arrests is technically an IC issue and should be brought up that way. 

Edited by Aldarine
  • Like 2

1. Miranda rights aren't useless.

2. Instead of someone simply deciding if you should be released sooner or not, more scripted jobs should be added into the prison. More work you do, less time you spend in.

3. I mean, you're asking for a "innocent until proven guilty" system. Yet you're saying all cops are metagaming, but have no proof of it? Kinda of ironic and a big statement to make without proof...

4. While updates may not suit all players, they're still very welcomed. 

5. Saying "we need X" is easy, but making it is a whole different story. It has to be balanced, effective and function well with other factions. It has already been said it's being worked on, but it's a difficult task. Not everyone is going to want to go to trials and sometimes people may not have the time for it. Arresting, searching, processing and transporting (+ maybe doing extra work if DOC isn't on duty) already can take a LOT of time. There's also a question if the person has enough OOC time to cover it all.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smutty said:

Let's look at a couple days of criminal activity:

Day 1: You're broke, hungry, can't afford a car... You manage to find a car with a full tank of gas, so you steal it. (GTA 45 minutes) You head over to the foundry hoping to make a quick 8000-10000 robbing a miner that just dropped off a bunch of ores. You hold him up by holding a knife to his back telling him you'll carve him up if he doesn't comply. Since you got the drop on him you also manage to steal his pistol. (Armed robbery 60 minutes) Oops, you weren't wearing a mask and he knew you, and reported you to the police. Now you have 10 grand. You get some food and drink and a gps, maybe even a map then head to sleep. 

Day 2: You check your bank and things are looking grim. Time to sell some drugs! You managed to hide the car from yesterday and jump inside. You head to the shop and buy a mask, put it on and head up to your local drug lab. You get to the drug lab and some dude is in there by himself, wearing a wife beater and you see he doesn't have a gun. You pull up and buddy gets spooked, jumps on his bike and takes off. You start making drugs and get a decent haul. (Manufacturing Narcotics 60 minutes) Suddenly you hear cars approaching. Thinking it's going to be a local gang you decide you're going to run for it so you aren't gunned down. As you jump in your car you spot the cops coming into the compound. You manage to juke them and now you're running to save your ass. (Felony evading 60 minutes) You lead them on a chase that passes through 2 speed camera zones and you get 2 reckless operation charges (20 minutes) and it looks like you're finally getting away. You decide you're going to ditch the car so they don't recognize it and start chasing you again. Little did you know, the helicopter has been watching you. You're 100 ft from your stolen ride and here comes the brigade. You decide, it's shootout time. You manage to down 1 cop and injure another. (Murder on a govt employee 135 minutes). You take off on foot leading them on a short pursuit (resisting arrest 25 minutes). You're finally taken into custody, still wearing your mask (10 minutes) and you've racked up 415 minutes, just shy of 7 hours. Is this a realistic scenario? Sure it could be. But if you do this, how can you come and complain about unfair prison times? Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. 

So what you are saying is, getting caught stealing a car which belongs to a player, robbing a player of their hard grinded money, then getting caught in a drug lab and getting into a shootout and murdering another player... and you are mad at a large sentence? you are talking about getting caught multiple times over the course of 2 days and serving 7 hours in prison is too much? How about this, do the crime more carefully, dont rob a person in broad daylight, dont pick lock that vehicle in the middle of the road, wear your mask, surrender to avoid the murder charge when you know you are caught... and if you gamble a shootout make sure you win... Like I dont understand this at all...

Also this post starts by outlining legal problems while saying nobody talks about this. The change to the legal system was a majority supported and discussed on the suggestion page for weeks.... The judicial system  has been the work of the government for a while but it is a large undertaking so it takes time. We have to be somewhat reasonable, this is not a cops and robbers server and if you choose to take up a life of crime, the large punishment should scare you into complying or being good enough not to get caught.

15 minutes ago, Wizzidy said:

So what you are saying is, getting caught stealing a car which belongs to a player, robbing a player of their hard grinded money, then getting caught in a drug lab and getting into a shootout and murdering another player... and you are mad at a large sentence? you are talking about getting caught multiple times over the course of 2 days and serving 7 hours in prison is too much? How about this, do the crime more carefully, dont rob a person in broad daylight, dont pick lock that vehicle in the middle of the road, wear your mask, surrender to avoid the murder charge when you know you are caught... and if you gamble a shootout make sure you win... Like I dont understand this at all...

Also this post starts by outlining legal problems while saying nobody talks about this. The change to the legal system was a majority supported and discussed on the suggestion page for weeks.... The judicial system  has been the work of the government for a while but it is a large undertaking so it takes time. We have to be somewhat reasonable, this is not a cops and robbers server and if you choose to take up a life of crime, the large punishment should scare you into complying or being good enough not to get caught.

My example is a made up scenario, just so you know. I was trying to give a realistic scenario of how quickly someone could rack up a 7 hour sentence and that they would make a complaint about it... I hope that was clear enough... Lol 

Anyway I agree with what you're saying. Basically how I closed off, don't do the crime if you can't do the time. 

2 hours ago, cheatonus said:

Getting caught red-handed is different then having an officer roll up to you and say "we had a report of Elegys racing in the area and you're under arrest."  But I think even if you catch someone red handed the burden of proof on you should be the same as everyone else.  Drop the clip in your arrest report.  That "a cops word" counts for more than a civilian's thing really irks me to be honest.  I understand why we RP it that way, but it still really irks me.  Any arrest should require physical evidence that would be admissible in court, even though we don't have courts.  Arresting someone shouldn't be taken lightly, especially with increased sentences and fines. 

I have never seen someone arresting someone just for suspicion of crime, we can detain you for that but if we do not find anything we let you go but o well if we find we will arrest you.
If we trust civilians word if you look at it criminals attempts to murder someone infront of our face yet they still cry oocly that they haven't done anything. We don't add charges if we ain't 100%, you ask for us to record, but maybe you can rply get camera and record it yourself then, wouldn't that solve your problem? It would be even easier for us to see what you did and what you didn't. 

Edited by Balastas

On 8/19/2019 at 6:00 PM, Xoza said:

Could things be a little better? Sure.

Do we need more complicated processes? Hell no.

Los Santos is borderline, if not already a Police State cannonly.

This mostly, it does need improvement, and I do think some things like appeals expunging etc should be taken out of the hands of the police, however I dont think we need a court proceeding for john smith robbing 7 stores, saying fuck the police, and shooting 2 cops... some things are cut and dry. Also I have been up this tree for a long time, despite having an easily over abusive justice system which isnt really a problem if handled well (which it is to a decent margin) we don't currently have a way to erase records... This leaves a small portion  of the civilian RP population stuck with charges that should have or would have never been that permanently damage RP opportunities, and currently our only suggestion is "just CK" like civilians arent the ones investing the most into their relationships... They are hurt the most by it, have the most to lose, and are most abused by the mistakes. There needs to be a way to expunge, remove, or resolve felony records. My character has 1 felony charge from before he got a name change, that was over 5 months ago in real life time, and yet he is still barred from joining police and getting a weapons license despite being a law abiding citizen for what is decades in game time.... I stand by the idea that while extensive records should brand a person a criminal, a single felony should not be irredeemable given the margin of error in the current legal system. Saying "CK or make an IA report" is not sufficient...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.