Cyrus Raven

Gang & Faction: Turf System

not again...... -1 from me on any script additions regarding this.

If a gang wants to act like they own a street or an area, they can do all of this with RP. There is no need for their turfs to show-up on the map or to be shown as an OOC status for anyone... they can just guard turfs with guns and act like it's their's, just like IRL. 

On 8/28/2019 at 5:16 PM, Flucifial said:

not again...... -1 from me on any script additions regarding this.

If a gang wants to act like they own a street or an area, they can do all of this with RP. There is no need for their turfs to show-up on the map or to be shown as an OOC status for anyone... they can just guard turfs with guns and act like it's their's, just like IRL. 

Can I try and press you for an explanation on your -1 ?

It seems to me that saying ''they can do this in RP'' doesn't really get us anywhere. I could argue that most things in game could be done through RP, but certain factions, jobs, gang functions, etc... are done through the script because it is convenient and more entertaining, so my question is why are gang turfs something you don't think deserve a script function ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyle White Raven said:

Can I try and press you for an explanation on your -1 ?

It seems to me that saying ''they can do this in RP'' doesn't really get us anywhere. I could argue that most things in game could be done through RP, but certain factions, jobs, gang functions, etc... are done through the script because it is convenient and more entertaining, so my question is why are gang turfs something you don't think deserve a script function ?

Cause before people metagamed it hard... they'd see the OOC sign, that told you who's turf it was, where the turf was, and more. I don't think we need to script back in a way for gangs to have their turfs displayed. 

1 hour ago, Flucifial said:

Cause before people metagamed it hard... they'd see the OOC sign, that told you who's turf it was, where the turf was, and more. I don't think we need to script back in a way for gangs to have their turfs displayed. 

I see the turf system as a way to give gangs something more to do. Yes, they could technically all draw up a map and share it between themselves, having to redraw it every single time something changes, but that's a pain in the ass. Not only that, but having a system like this would maybe encourage more gang on gang violence if done correctly.

I am not saying to take the previous system and implement it again or even to take everything I have written and use it. This is simply meant as a script suggestion that other Hardcore RP servers in SAMP have had in the past and that have worked well (in my opinion). 

Also, in regards to the meta thing. It goes back to the whole ''they can RP it'' thing. I would probably not consider that meta. There is a script that would show X turf belonging to Y gang, the way this would translate to the RP world would be someone walking past a street and seeing some sort of graffiti or gang members hanging around. The difference here is that in one system you have the script which makes things easier and more convenient and the other you have to RP it, which isn't something that always reaches everyone.  I could suggest we get rid of the F4 menu all together because it is ''Non-RP'' or ''Meta'', players should just remember and write down on a piece of paper who they hired for their business/faction or recruited for their gang. Same goes for the salary system. This shouldn't be a thing because players should submit weekly checks themselves, etc...

However, the reason all these scripts exist is because it is more convenient. I would look at the turf system the same way. Now this isn't to say that everything should be turned into a script, but It's just to show you that there should be a broader conversation about the actual pros and cons of this system and not just dismiss it because ''they can just do it in RP'' 🙂

Edited by Kyle White Raven
Added Section

5 hours ago, BULLDOZER said:

This used to be in and it was chaotic, wars would rage out and would just turn into a DM fest, a system is not needed to own a specific area, just go there and hang around, like the grove street families or the east end irish gang. You just need to be creative about it.

Could you please tell me if two gangs goes to war, how and when you can decide that someone have won the war? 
and what kind of benefits you would get from wining the war? 
If Eclipse would count as a hard rp server and majority of people who would be playing here would be in that level, then I agree that turf system would be useless, because people would look for RolePlay situations and could do everything by following the RP, but lets come back to the current state ant reality that Eclipse server counts as light RP and don't get me wrong, I don't see anything bad about it, but it needs more script based stuff especially for this kind of stuff.

Edited by ViktorR

In the old system a war would end when both gangs decided, through the F4 menu, there's no F4 menu irl... Gangs would go to war over turf and earn other gangs respect and loyalty if they won, look at an old gang called the exiled for instance, they had wars and won and it became a monopoly, yes this is how it happens irl but the new system restricts gangs from having a monopoly over all the turf and so controlled all the guns and drugs. You can do anything with the system we have just need to get creative and make Rp and situations. Have an illegal fight club or illegal street race. Hang out in one area (not the bank or another NCZ) and call it yours, rob people and scare them if they come on. Just need to play around with it and think of things to do, there's been so much good criminal RP and all it takes is one guy to have a good idea and pitch it! Good luck !

On 8/29/2019 at 5:17 PM, Kyle White Raven said:

I see the turf system as a way to give gangs something more to do. Yes, they could technically all draw up a map and share it between themselves, having to redraw it every single time something changes, but that's a pain in the ass. Not only that, but having a system like this would maybe encourage more gang on gang violence if done correctly.

I am not saying to take the previous system and implement it again or even to take everything I have written and use it. This is simply meant as a script suggestion that other Hardcore RP servers in SAMP have had in the past and that have worked well (in my opinion). 

Also, in regards to the meta thing. It goes back to the whole ''they can RP it'' thing. I would probably not consider that meta. There is a script that would show X turf belonging to Y gang, the way this would translate to the RP world would be someone walking past a street and seeing some sort of graffiti or gang members hanging around. The difference here is that in one system you have the script which makes things easier and more convenient and the other you have to RP it, which isn't something that always reaches everyone.  I could suggest we get rid of the F4 menu all together because it is ''Non-RP'' or ''Meta'', players should just remember and write down on a piece of paper who they hired for their business/faction or recruited for their gang. Same goes for the salary system. This shouldn't be a thing because players should submit weekly checks themselves, etc...

However, the reason all these scripts exist is because it is more convenient. I would look at the turf system the same way. Now this isn't to say that everything should be turned into a script, but It's just to show you that there should be a broader conversation about the actual pros and cons of this system and not just dismiss it because ''they can just do it in RP'' 🙂

Still a -1 from me