OswaldJenkins

PRISON SENTENCE TIMES

so not only me but a lot of people agree that the prison times are too long, and if your gonna argue and say that its because its "realistic" that's a stupid point since its a game and many things in the game and also server don't compare to real life. I have been on the server for the past two days and i have only broken speeding laws and resisted arrest and i end up getting sentences which are longer than two hours. so surely a good idea would be to still follow all the laws and stuff but reduce the sentences or even half them. Also there should be a max sentence time because imagine having to spend 6 hours in jail and not even being able to afk its ridiculous and the server will lose people because of that.

• Like 1

This is a roleplaying server. Actions have consequences. The person that you rob: he loses his car for three hours, pays a fee, buys a new gun, radio, gps and map. He has to work for those items too. 

Prison times are there to deter bad crime. If you are a very good criminal, you will almost never be caught. There are a number of criminally active characters that have been to prison three times in more than six months. 

However if you are just here for the chases and shootouts, then those will come with consequences, and should you feel that you want to do it without any, there's always GTA Online.

Edited by alexalex303
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

but you made a scenario which is not what im talking about. "speeding" and a "chase" how do these affect anyone and yeah it s a roleplay server but as i said they shouldn't be that long its. anyway i wanna know what other people think who play the game and are not support or anything like that because most of you will agree on the times

These prison times are a breeze, back in the day on an Arma 2 rp server (wont mention names but not hard to guess if you were around then) I would spend 24+hrs in jail at a time. If anything I think they should be increased! Actions have consequences however from what I understand the RP in prison is lacking (havn’t been, could be wrong) so that should be improved before doing anything too drastic.

If prison actually had solid rp on eclipse I’d love to make a character that had a life sentence, prison gangs etc. Be hella fun.

Edited by Drek20

14 minutes ago, Drek20 said:

These prison times are a breeze, back in the day on an Arma 2 rp server (wont mention names but not hard to guess if you were around then) I would spend 24+hrs in jail at a time. If anything I think they should be increased! Actions have consequences however from what I understand the RP in prison is lacking (havn’t been, could be wrong) so that should be improved before doing anything too drastic.

If prison actually had solid rp on eclipse I’d love to make a character that had a life sentence, prison gangs etc. Be hella fun.

People say that RP in prison is lacking, but they don't mention that one of the major reasons it's lacking is because we used to have 2 hour max sentences for any crime. There have been many RP situations in which one party TPed out of prison because 2 hours isn't really that long. Longer prison sentences will naturally breed RP as people will find things to do, we also have prison activities now with mining and poker. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, alexalex303 said:

People say that RP in prison is lacking, but they don't mention that one of the major reasons it's lacking is because we used to have 2 hour max sentences for any crime. There have been many RP situations in which one party TPed out of prison because 2 hours isn't really that long. Longer prison sentences will naturally breed RP as people will find things to do, we also have prison activities now with mining and poker. 

Oh I see, ya as I said I couldn’t confirm or deny the RP situation in prison. I totally agree!

The current times are fine and the only thing that happen with a sentence cap is massive metagaming (knowing OOCly that the cap is there and then, as an example, opening fire on multiple cops because you know you won’t get any more time) which is something that has been done numerous times. If a criminal was smart they would plan their activities so they have a limited chance of getting caught. Also with the penal code publicly available you can always see the potential charges and jail time and consider if you should be sneakier, plan more, or cancel the idea.

As far as prison rp goes, it’s a very 2 sided thing. Yes, activities were added to prison and the inmates do need to start rping with one another more. DOC also needs to put a better foot forward. When people are on duty they should be taking a more active role in rp and limit goofing off and socializing. I’m not saying all of DOC does this because that’s absolutely not true, but I have seen times when this happened and can now slightly better understand the potential rp difficulties that criminal players mention (although they still should rp with each other in jail).

I'm not a fan of the huge increase to prison times. Whilst it's fun roleplaying a criminal and occassionally getting arrested, anything more than 2hrs in prison is excessive and detracts from the fun of roleplaying a criminal.

I'm all for prison roleplay and I get extending sentences may boost the prison population but it does get boring after a while. I value the deterrent to committing crimes and the consequences for actions if caught, but that needs to be balanced up against deterring people from roleplaying criminals altogether.

With the 2 hour max we noticed that criminals were using that information to go all out. Essentially, if they already had a couple of reckless driving charges and other small crimes that hit the limit they would then instigate shootings with PD or other criminals not caring about jail as they know they've already reached the max possible time.

The point of no max jail sentence is to encourage players to think smart and not try and rob every living person they see anywhere on the map. Plan carefully in a secluded area and chances are you will make it out.

Edited by Kyle White Raven
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Kyle White Raven said:

With the 2 hour max we noticed that criminals were using that information to go all out. Essentially, if they already had a couple of reckless driving charges and other small crimes that hit the limit they would then instigate shootings with PD or other criminals not caring about jail as they know they've already reached the max possible time.

The point of no max jail sentence is to encourage players to think smart and not try and rob every living person they see anywhere on the map. Plan carefully in a secluded area and chances are you will make it out.

I agree - We want players to think smart and be cautious, but at the same time we want players to be able to roleplay a criminal without being forced into prison for ridiculous amounts of time.

16 hours ago, alexalex303 said:

Longer prison sentences will naturally breed RP as people will find things to do, we also have prison activities now with mining and poker. 

It's the opposite. There has actually been a decline in prison RP because people are more likely to afk their way through a 5 hour sentence than stick around for a 1-2 hour one. There are also fewer people in prison as a result of the strict sentences, which have put people off playing as criminals (which you could argue is a good thing, but it does decrease the opportunities to roleplay).

Mining is a joke; it's incredibly boring with no real benefits. And you can't play poker unless you mine for ages to get enough cash to join the table. And because of that, even if you get enough money together to join the table ($1500), it's really unlikely that there is anyone else around to play with who also bothered to mine for that long.

So, to the cops who constantly support the longer sentences argument, I humbly request that you make a criminal character (if you don't have one already), rack up some charges and commit to doing 5+ hours in prison without going afk. If you manage I will be very impressed (and concerned for your mental health).