Lance_Luther

Police Corruption Against Server Rules + Other Suggestions

Since joining ECRP, the biggest problem i've seen and heard people talk about is how corrupt the police department is and how much power they have.

Police Corruption:

• Should be against server rules and have serious consequences. 
    • Example: 3+ Hours of Admin Jail, and the offence should be linked to all their accounts so they may never be able to join PD or another Law Enforcement faction again. (Servers do this)
  • Chief of Police threatening to put you and bunch of people in jail for 24/hrs for “questioning” (IC’ly you can’t do shit against that) 2 seconds later you hear all of SWAT laughing about it.
  • Taking your weapons away for no reason and “losing them” when high key they are probably shooting at half of us with our same weapons that we bought
  • Camping at Drug Labs and Raiding Drug Labs without presenting a warrant.
  • Destroying Drug Labs without warrants
  • “Random” Trace Phone ID’s. I’m from the UK but i’m pretty sure there’s a supreme court ruling stating that police need a valid search warrant before obtaining location data (trace peoples phone ID)
    • Let them at least obtain our phone number or give us the ability to change it

Vehicle Impound:

• Makes it very easy for players with minor charges to be caught since an officer physically has to come done and release your car
  • Vehicle Impound should be separate from PD and a completely different entity.
  • Similar to /park command for example: /impound (this will automatically spawn your vehicle for a price) since police take forever I wait on average 20-30IRL minutes. Police don’t want their time wasted doing tedious work like that and neither should the player wait  all that time just to be potentially arrested.

Camera System:

• It’s a good idea but hers a few recommended changes.
  • Make the cameras more visible. For example make them Yellow, give players the opportunity to slow down right before the camera. 
  • Lower the fines. Start at a minimum of $200 and max it out at $600 for example. Those fines will add up.
  • Shouldn’t be served Prison Time for Reckless Operation of a vehicle due to being flashed on a camera. (Especially if you were a mask I got 2 Hours in Jail Despite having 3 days to pay it off.)

With all of this being said. I think this will help create more of a balance in the server because right now it is way too one sided (for PD) in comparison to the people since they don’t earn much and get abuse most of the time.

Many other people on this server feel this way as well. However I am aware that there is some of you who don’t (PD). So i would like this to be an open discussion, as I feel this is definitely one of the most pressing Server/Community issue regarding balancing.

This has only been a fraction of my experience during ECRP and I tried to keep it as concise as possible. Please share you opinions in regards to this potential change and if you disagree share you reasons why this shouldn’t be changed. 

• Like 3

Police Corruption is already disallowed in LSPD and warrants removal from the faction. They can request for corruption permission from me if their character story justifies it, as we advocate for good and proper character development. 

• "Chief of Police threatening to put you and bunch of people in jail for 24/hrs for “questioning”

Doesn't sound right, because I've not been online to RP much on my police character because I'm helping out in both weazel and LSEMS until they get more members. I'd love to see some video footage of me saying this, otherwise, I suppose we can dismiss this allegation.

• Example: 3+ Hours of Admin Jail, and the offence should be linked to all their accounts so they may never be able to join PD or another Law Enforcement faction again. (Servers do this)

We have no intention of disallowing corruption in the server rules because we believe in role-playing and good character development. There are corrupt police officers In Real Life, and there will be corrupt police officers on Eclipse RP, albeit, very rarely. 

• Taking your weapons away for no reason and “losing them” when high key they are probably shooting at half of us with the same weapons that we bought

We have no scripted storage locker, officers are forced to destroy weapons and other items they get from players. There's no point in officers using weapons from suspects, they have plenty of weapons available in the faction.

• Camping at Drug Labs and Raiding Drug Labs without presenting a warrant. Destroying Drug Labs without warrants

There are already internal faction rules that dictate that they cannot enter drug labs without having a proper reason to do so. If they get a 911 call or a report in a different form about a crime happening in a location, they are obligated to investigate. And if they find a drug lab, they are obligated to destroy it as equipment to manufacture drugs are illegal. 

• “Random” Trace Phone ID’s. I’m from the UK but i’m pretty sure there’s a supreme court ruling stating that police need a valid search warrant before obtaining location data (trace peoples phone ID)

Random Phone Traces are not a thing, we have no court in the server as of right now and this is not based in the UK. A very select few have the ability to trace phone numbers and there are IC regulations dictating when they can and can't trace a phone number. There is also OOC internal rules in the LSPD that dictates how they should role-play it. Players can already avoid having their phone traced by simply turning it off.

If you are unhappy with the conduct of an officer IC or OOC, you can use this https://gov.eclipse-rp.net/viewforum.php?f=24 and report them and we can determine if they acted according to rules or not.

• Upvote 2

Yesterday got arrested for reckless driving because I was not aware of the cameras around the bank, this is the most stupid thing have ever happened to me

I paid 20k in tickets, I was speeding around bank, no warning at all, even cops speed there

I'd suggest adding a flying text on the cameras - displays the speed limit it would help because people are getting fucked by cops because they are not aware

I can understand that people feel that the LSPD is not doing good, but you need to understand due to the big wave it is not AS easy to deal with everything. Also you cannot blame the LSPD If suspects literally just do not want to RP something out. But to put up allegations without any data backing it up at the end is like a scream out of desperation.

If something like that ever happens, record it and report it. You are free to RP it, go to Mission Row find a high ranked officer and Talk about it in the office. Talk it Out, proceed making a Report about the Case on the Gov Forum.

The LSPD put has put a lot of work to provide everything what is needed and at LSPD there are several tests to ensure that officers will always RP correctly. If players do not report anything the proper way I cannot really understand why players don't report it how the system tells you too.

It is easy to say but If it would be X it would be easy, but If it just stays at that, there is no outcome from a simple "If"

Edited by Spark

I don’t know about police corruption. All I know is that criminals laugh at the police, my brother is a criminal and he finds it pathetic how easy it is to out-do the police. Also, apparently the police force aren’t too good at aiming their gun at the criminals.

Big -1 for changing the price of the speeding tickets. It would make it too cheap and people would carry on speeding. The cameras are there to catch you out, as it’s against server rules to commit a crime in an NCZ.

On 3/20/2019 at 12:48 PM, Lance_Luther said:

Should be against server rules and have serious consequences. 

It is against PD internal regulations and does have serious consequences already. A further limitation of this would not make any difference. There is no rule dictating the possible role-play style a criminal can pursue and there shouldn't be any enforced on cops either. OOC is OOC and IC is IC.

Chief of Police threatening to put you and bunch of people in jail for 24/hrs for “questioning” (IC’ly you can’t do shit against that) 2 seconds later you hear all of SWAT laughing about it.

Assuming the actual Chief of Police said this to you, the example you give here has nothing to do with corruption at all. If anything, it is standard practice IRL. A person can be detained without a warrant for up to 48 hours, for example, as per the Supreme Court ruling County of Riverside v. McLaughlin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_of_Riverside_v._McLaughlin

The fact that apparently, SWAT personnel laughed about it, isn't corruption either. Maybe bad taste and unprofessionalism at best. 

Taking your weapons away for no reason and “losing them” when high key they are probably shooting at half of us with our same weapons that we bought

Your weapons aren't ever taken away for no reason. I bet you have been charged and jailed every time when your weapons have been taken which in itself was reason enough. I am confident that nobody in the PD is shooting you with weapons seized from you, as everyone has department-issued weapons. Weapons seized from criminals are dropped off in the evidence room/armory. You can see for yourself when you walk into the PD, straight past the front desk and through the door on the left. Peek through the window and check up on the disposal of seized weapons and drugs. 

Camping at Drug Labs and Raiding Drug Labs without presenting a warrant.

You wouldn't believe the volume of calls we actually get of people reporting drug labs. We drive there after receiving such a call, which is probable cause enough to enter the premises. And upon spotting drug manufacturing equipment and chemicals out in the open, it is more than legitimate to destroy them. That is not an issue the PD created, but rather the decision to make people have to produce drugs in specific areas instead of private homes. Don't blame the PD.

Edited by flow

I will be honest - there is a reason why such large group of people on the server is saying what they are. There is big issue with Police force and pardon me, but not everything is as beautiful and correct as you are putting it down here. I am a person that looks for reason and logic in every situation and Im not gonna be salty just because I got arrested or because my weapons were taken. No, if there was a proper arrest, if there was good enough reasoning, I will accept it and go with the flow. Sadly it is rarely like that. You in PD have so many rules and such strict organisation on "enforcing" the rules, when in reality it is not even close to that. As an example you could use the same things about what is a probable cause and what is not. The fact that police officer has to be 100% sure of the crime done by the individual, not just winging. You will say - if you have been mistreated and bla bla, use the gov forum. Been there, done that, and after two reports, that I had to wait to be looked at for 3 IRL weeks, I just got stronger taste in my mouth of police corruption/powergaming. Same as in RL, when Police has done you wrong and you have tried to show that and you still get a spit in your face in the end, you just lose the trust in police and if you lose the trust in Police, then what do you think is going to happen? We here are talking about Police image that you have to maintain and take it seriously. I know you do occasionally discharge people from police force, but to be honest, not often enough.

If you think Im full of bullshit, then here is a little taste of bullshit Im talking about:

On 3/20/2019 at 11:48 AM, Lance_Luther said:

I 100% Agree with this, not the first time its happening for me when I've done nothing bad since I've logged in, and I just get tracked by phone, just because I had fines from cop I killed or something

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.