HobGoblin

OOC consent to RP as an animal / mental illness

This is a disapointing and non-reasoned suggestion (that oddly feels like a very poor, thinly veiled attack), I don't see a reason that an individual having a mental illness would require OOC consent (providing it's not conflicting with other gross rp/ooc rules), and would entirely stifle a large number of individuals characters. This even includes Herrman Wolff, who I try to portray as being manic obsessive, and I think this has lead to some novel and fun situations what a great deal of individuals, I hate the thought that this would be entirely strangled, especially due to a such a rule being implemented, especially if It's done off the back of a forum post that gives no reasoning for it whatsoever. 

A big -1 from me.

Edited by Herrman_Wolff
  • Like 1
  • YAY 7
  • Upvote 2

Honestly from doing a lot of the CRU work ICLY for the past year. This feels massively targeted towards 1 player in particular and restricting someones opportunities to role play. The fact of the matter is mental illness is such a broad topic irl so if we're going to restrict someone being animal. We're going to need ooc consent for PTSD. now that we restricted PTSD it's time to restrict BPD and now that we're restricting BPD it's time to restrict simple depression. 

I'm going to break the ice and outright say that I do believe this is an attack against Wolfgang Bathshebas character which has a MULTI YEAR recorded IC history and when things get sketchy ICLY that the player of said character checks for OOC consent to keep players comfortable.

This request feels massively and unnecessarily targeted and taking away from MD factions role-playing opportunities and from role-playing opportunities from the player base as a whole. -1

Edited by Dred
  • Like 1
  • YAY 7
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HobGoblin said:

someone who RPs a mental illness

This is a huge broad topic and too general really as a suggestion. If someone's not being offensive by mocking some sort of mental illness purposefully to get a reaction then I don't see an issue. I've had great fun doing CRU and psych rp with many people going down this route of RP. Ranging from people being psychotic, to OCD, to depression, the list goes on.
I have 2 characters that would fall under this category, one who had a serious head injury and is mentally deficient, is quite simple and also can't talk properly without stuttering (Bathsheba), and one character that has more subtle ones like ADHD and OCD. I've personally not had any complaints raised to me about either and have generally had good feedback with even suggestions from people who know it better to make it more realistic. So overall, the first part I don't think it should be gated OOCly.

As for someone who RP's as an animal, as long as they're actually human and not oocly saying they're RPing an animal, I also don't see the harm. Off the top of my head, this has happened twice (not including people with fursonas like kopi and bear), Wolfgang and the fish people. With Wolfgang the RP is pretty in-depth, a lot of which most people don't see, and nobody, including @JellyFaun actually thinks they're playing an animal and more a human who's just a bit lot mental. In their own unique way, they had a good unique character idea and the only real downside is the IC hassle of having to jump through hoops to handle him. (which is more of a good side since it breaks up the cookie-cutter interactions and arrests and treatments). The fish people were just faking it ICly to get to use their masks to my knowledge and never thought they were roleplaying actual fish.

My main question is just...why? I don't quite understand the problem it would be solving

Edited by Ash
  • Like 2
  • YAY 3

I don't understand what the point or goal is here. This seems like rather than willing to engage in the genuine roleplay that people like Wolfgang provide, you would rather not be forced to deal with roleplay at all during your efforts as an LEO and if anything poses an inconvenience it should require OOC consent. Should I need to provide OOC consent for being left in an ambulance for 30+ minutes following a scene?

Nevertheless, massive -1.

• Like 1
  • YAY 5
  • Upvote 2

Hello, I do not give OOC consent to being arrested and left in the back of a cruiser/ambulance for a half hour because charges cannot be sorted out, please add a rule to give OOC consent for getting arrested by detectives and officers.

On a more serious note, massive -1 for me, I believe if you gave more reasoning and examples, this would be a healthier discussion. This would completely kill MD's CRU and lots of current character's storylines.

Edited by DontSniffSugar
  • Like 1
  • YAY 6
  • Upvote 2

Hello, I don't give ooc consent of my character being shackled in the back of a tarv because I am claustrophobic IRL and I feel like this is insulting to my condition. 

Listen.. this is Role Play at the end of the day.. a game where everyone comes to unwind from a hard day and have some FUN. Wolfgang who I assume is who you're talking about has done MANY years of story-building for their character. They have been respectful when gross RP may be needed and asks for everyone's ok before doing it. IF you don't like to be involved with someone's story and RP just walk away or pm them saying you don't feel comfortable and wish to move on. No need to request rules like this when you can easily say you wish to not be around or partake in the RP and walk away.

BIG -1 from me

Edited by RocketInAPocket
  • Like 2
  • YAY 6
  • Upvote 1

I am...baffled to say the least. I feel very targeted and also feel that your post was unnecessary and rather cruel. I put a lot of work into my roleplay, be it on Trixie or Charlie or Wolfgang or even the short lived Memaw Fish. 

Wolfgang is a character that is a lot of things to me. He is one i get to have lots of funny shanigans and interactions with the Bathshebas with, one where I get more serious MD and law enforcement roleplay and also one that has a really really deep backstory that not many people get to interact with. I know he is a lot to deal with and that is by design. 
He suffers from a multitude of mental issues that all stem from a series of linked incidents: PTSD, Lycanthropism (an actual real world medical condition), dissociative personality disorder, anxiety/panic disorder and addiction.  And back when he was new he was entirely feral and non-verbal, living in the woods with animals.  This is all part of his backstory and based on actual research I have done.

Wolfgang is also an outlet for me to be silly, unmask my real-life autism in a way that enriches others without being socially unacceptable, and a way for me to have fun with my friends.

This extremely thin targeted attack has really hurt my feelings. But I am so happy to see how many people are standing up for the way I choose to roleplay. 

• Like 1
  • YAY 7
  • Upvote 3
  • hand 5

Howdy,

Simply put, this isn't something we're willing to consider amending into the rules as roleplaying a mental illness in and of itself does not constitute as a form of offensive roleplay and it's a stretch to consider mental illness RP to be offensive if the person is not actually portraying an offensive display of said illness. If anything, roleplaying a mental illness can add more RP opportunities to various spaces on the server such as LSEMS' CRU division.

That being said, there's no point in asking for OOC consent to RP being mentally ill if it's not being done in an offensive manner. If someone's RP makes you uncomfortable, separate yourself from the situation.

Archived.

• Like 6
  • YAY 3
  • Upvote 3
  • hand 2