JohnnydaHo

Dump the rule break for talking on radio when being captured/arrested

In a recent decision a player was given a Fear RP punishment for talking over the radio while being arrested. this should not be an OOC rule break for fear RP when in actuality there is no reason IC to fear for ones life over such a trivial act  and police officers are not going to shoot for it.   IMO this type of rule application is based on a "need to win" mentality as far as getting access to crim freqs by police.  I do not see why, provided a clear and timely demand from the police is given, that a charge of fail to comply wouldn't suffice in such a situation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnydaHo said:

In a recent decision a player was given a Fear RP punishment for talking over the radio while being arrested. this should not be an OOC rule break for fear RP when in actuality there is no reason IC to fear for ones life over such a trivial act  and police officers are not going to shoot for it.   IMO this type of rule application is based on a "need to win" mentality as far as getting access to crim freqs by police.  I do not see why, provided a clear and timely demand from the police is given, that a charge of fail to comply wouldn't suffice in such a situation. 

It's a "need to win" mentality to reach for something in your ear while having multiple barrels of high powered rifles printed at you.

EDIT: To further clarify on this point, as I think it's a good opportunity to do so. The "need/play to win" mentality is something that definitely exists on the server. But It's a two-way street. Work smarter. Change freqs \before\ you get caught or be extremely careful. (also, i don't think LEOs care about john random's freq)

Edited by AtlasOLimbo
  • YAY 1
  • yooo 1

3 hours ago, JohnnydaHo said:

police officers are not going to shoot for it

I'd recommend you look into how often unarmed people get shot by the police due to either not complying or making sudden movements. When LEOs are in high adrenaline situation where they could get shot at any moment they will not hesitate to shoot you if you make a sudden movement such as reaching for something ( like a radio ) 

There's a reason people fear the police, innocent and unarmed people get shot on several occasions in many countries where guns are as common as here on Eclipse. I doubt very few people would keep the same mentality if they had several lethal weapons aimed at them in real life.

If we're going to make fear RP rulings decided on what you as a player think someone is or isn't going to do would that mean Law Enforcement can ignore fearing for hostages if they the believe the hostage taker won't shoot or harm their hostage? 

The only reason you don't get shot or seriously injured in a situation like what you're referring to is because LEO on the server operate under much less stress, don't get the same level of adrenaline rush and are held to a higher standard for force then the real life counterparts. 

These rules are in place to make the game fair and make people play realistically.

We know cops won't shoot you on spot for talking on your radio or walking away in real life (usually) but it's a rule in place to prevent people from never obeying with LEO orders in game because they would ride the fact that they wont get shot for non-violent actions. If FRP didn't apply to everybody it would be really frusturating for others.

It's the reasons there are rules like not using your panic button when in an injured state to make the game more fair. In real life you would be able to hit a panic if injured but not everything is about being realistic. You also can't hit a panic button when being held at gun point which is the same as talking on the radio essentially.

Looking at the FRP rule, LEOs have more expectations/restrictions. For example, LEOs are more restricted on rules of engagement and making sure they don't insert themselves in dangerous situations when greatly outnumbered, or what people like to refer to as Hero copping. This is not something criminal players are scrutinzed for at the same level. 

Edited by Jett_J

Basically, the rule is in place to negate people doing CSGO callouts while being arrest. Things like "Legion Square, 3 here." Then all of a sudden you have 3+ cars rolling up with guns to shoot cops so that you aren't arrested. As Jet said, the same holds true for PD. When we get scriptly injured, we can't use radio, we can't use panic, if we're in TAC, we don't make any sort of callouts until we're discovered.

-1 I would agree that some rules are in place to create a fairness across the server. I think this stipulation is one of those rules. Whether or not it's petty to report just for it is up to admins, but how do you know if someone is a repeat offender for the same thing if you don't make a report?

Unless you're David Blaine, nobody's pulling a .50 out behind their ear.

Numerous legals will hit their emergency button whenever they get the chance... because of course they would.

It's a dumb rule implemented to ensure LEO's get your freq. Get rid of it. Literally nothing is stopping anyone from using a radio that hasn't been taken from them yet.

Get your radio call outs before you get caught and shout “scrambled eggs” so that everyone knows you been caught !!

so just my 2 cents and I may be repeating what some of y’all have already said…

I think the rule is ok …. I think without the rule , it makes the game a more win or lose game where we should be looking for immersion and RP. 

cops got you at gun point and you call your crew over the radio, they come kill cops and you win……. Or you don’t get caught in the first place and you win. 

where as the cops lose every time until you are in jail. 

I think the radio rule would be abused if it was taken away. But think about someone robbing another person. 

I got robbed in the hunting grounds the other day by a “New player Tagged” person. I could of talked over the radio while he was robbing me and had people assist me in a matter of minutes. But I didn’t as I feel the RP should go on. Hell I even /o to him to help him rob me as he was apologetic because he didn’t know what to do he just found a gun and came up and pointed at me. 

that might be a weak example but yea there many opportunities for the rule to be abused 

anyways my two cents ! 

Well here's the options:

A) They make a late radio call for backup or to warn that they're being arrested and you report them which possibly will result in a banned player.

Or B) You radio for backup knowing that the individual just made a radio call and continue on ICly... because 1) there is no RP that would require them to not use their radio barring a major injury and 2) with the exception of not getting their frequency who really cares?

You are, of course, role-playing a character who's only intentions should be keeping the peace and maintaining law and order unless you're crooked.

This is a dumb conversation that shouldn't even be taking place to begin with.