XeV

Ability To Disable Weazel Ads

I make this suggestion because TOO MANY times I have missed Me's and Do's in the chat because like 6-9 weazel ads come through at the same time and its really annoying because sometimes its just breaks full immersion because the weazel ad has a pun in it or a joke of some sort during a serious RP encounter.

I have also had mods go Aduty on me because they think I am stalling or ignoreing RP but in reality I just did not see it cause of the stupid ads flooding my text chat.

Just some kind of command to disable seeing weazel ads would be a nice QOL change, If I want to purchase something ill turn them on and leave them on and If I am about to enter some possible RP I will turn them off to avoid flooding.

Also phone off should stop me from seeing ads, I am tired of getting ads while in prison low key.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bill Breacher said:

This is already an existing suggestion. 

Yes. I'm currently collecting screenshots of ads flood. If we had ability to choose how many chat lines we see or font size, I wouldn't mind (that much) but honestly seeing these RGB colors flash in front of your eyes every couple of minutes is just pure cringe, and feels like made by sociopath to satisfy his needs to punish people. Aside from not having ads with phone off, it would be cool to have phone app that has only weazel news ads, articles and whatever they want to put up in there, and people who are genualy interested, will use it. Perhaps, even a notification tone can be implemented for ads app so that it plays when new ad is posted (IF! player chooses that way.). And argument that such additions will "kill weazel" is not based on arguments but rather emotions, and does not make any sense worth arguing. Point and case. 

Edited by Antonio_Colombo

3 hours ago, Antonio_Colombo said:

RGB colors flash in front of your eyes every couple of minutes is just pure cringe, and feels like made by sociopath to satisfy his needs to punish people

Hello. You've said this on various thread, and I fail to see how using two different colors per ads is RGB, My only interaction with you ICLY is that you wanted a grey ad and got very upset over the fact we have to use two different colors.

Do you have ANYTHING construtive for me, the leader of Weazel, or do you just want to give your two cents on everything?

We have a rule that were put in stone back when weazel was first made an official faction, 3 bulk ads per 5 minutes. Which is more than enough time to respond to RP.

I'll be waiting for your collection of screenshots. 🙂

Edited by Asbo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Asbo said:

Hello. You've said this on various thread, and I fail to see how using two different colors per ads is RGB, My only interaction with you ICLY is that you wanted a grey ad and got very upset over the fact we have to use two different colors.

Do you have ANYTHING construtive for me, the leader of Weazel, or do you just want to give your two cents on everything?

We have a rule that were put in stone back when weazel was first made an official faction, 3 bulk ads per 5 minutes. Which is more than enough time to respond to RP.

I don't have anything against you as person or weazel as organisation, yet I am against the way about how it is regarding choosing what I want to see and what I don't. This said, if I want to see ads or other news, I should have choice, my choice, made by myself and not someone other than me. If I don't want to see them, I should have choice not to see them, and I am 99.95% confident I am not the only one who thinks this way, in case it is that I am only person who has this believe about right to see what I chose to see, then I take all my accusations back, suck it up, take it like a man  and ask for forgiveness out of my heart because I acknowledge that I might be wrong in the first place. 

Aside from this, yes I get it it's your thing to have at least X amount of colors, and while our IC interaction did not went the way I imaginated, it is undeniable fact that most of the ads have at least 3 if not more colors and various symbols, that are larger than rest of the text font. For me this is a distraction, that I personally would like to avoid at all costs, but sadly there is no such chance to avoid it (SCRIPTLY). As part of IC logic, I believe customer is (almost) always right and he is the one who pays for service of his needs, if my character wanted only 2 colors, so what? I mean, my character would still pay a price for a service, I don't see why it needed to be such a big deal. Anyways, that is a topic for IC and I do not want to go into IC details other than explaining my vision and logic behind why I address it the way I do. If by miracle such feature gets implemented, it would mean that news would need to work harder to keep potential news users interested into using this content, meaning better quality and engagement, Listening to what customer actually wants and not just rubbing in his face "oh sorry it's policy we need to follow, nothing we can do, so here take  ctrl+c ctrl+v template of colors/effects"... I hope you see where I am going. 

I also don't get the flex of You "being the leader", should it change my mind or leave me speechless? Well, do You have anything constructive to answer to me, "average player, leader of nothing", or are You just gonna add "Your two cents" without listening to what is said between the lines? 

In short, as I have already stated, I have nothing against weazel as such or You as "leader of weazel", what I want is simple right to choose wheater I want to consume content created by weazel or not. 

Peace. 

31 minutes ago, Asbo said:

I wish I had proof, I may even have POVs of it so I'll look. I can absolutely promise that when I am playing at like 3-7am (UTC) weeknights you can tell when someone from weazel has clocked on because boom bulk ad after bulk ad.

I agree this is not continued and from then on  it's one here or there, but when they first start it's like the feel they need to launch weazel to the moon, and ads are the fuel.

2 minutes ago, Asbo said:

I'm sorry, but are you serious? Me saying I'm the leader means I can make changes alongside LFM?

I'm sorry I felt a bit out of control and might gone unnecessary cringe In my previous comment, I have difficulties to understand the meaning of some things said to me (IRL condition), but that is not excuse, of course. Anyways, I do t follow what is meant by "LFM", could You please elaborate? 

5 minutes ago, Asbo said:

Legal Faction Management.

Okay fair point, to me it felt like You rubbing it into my face to make me feel lesser of myself, if that was not the intent then I ask for apology. Anyways, the fact that there is now two such posts from me and XeV, clearly indicates that some things are out of place, and I don't want to explain them, if You get it then you get it. For all I meant was that players should not see ads when phone is off. People turn their phones off for sole purpose to not be distracted(and not get traced

5 minutes ago, James McGrity said:

I wish I had proof, I may even have POVs of it so I'll look. I can absolutely promise that when I am playing at like 3-7am (UTC) weeknights you can tell when someone from weazel has clocked on because boom bulk ad after bulk ad.

If you do, please forward it to me. We have set OOC rules that all our faction members should follow.

https://imgur.com/a/xM1haC5 these are just few that i scraped from random SS without even trying to catch distracting ads, yes maybe there is not more than 3 ads per 5 minutes in my examples, but please honestly tell if this is distracting to you? to me it is. And that is on TOP of server sided messages like "remember that refueling in middle of pursuit is non-rp" etc.  Too much unnecessary information, that could be avoided if these messages (weasel adds) would not pop-up with phone off.

i have for years. been a supporter of removing Weasel ads from the chat. I personally find it MG/PG. of course it can be argued that it isn't as there are rules protecting us from Weazel ads being used to spread some IC information.

I've been trying several times over the years to get Weazel news their own App on the phone instead so that you're not forced to see ads in the chat when you realistically wouldn't without looking at a screen or being near a radio.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, inorigj said:

i have for years. been a supporter of removing Weasel ads from the chat. I personally find it MG/PG. of course it can be argued that it isn't as there are rules protecting us from Weazel ads being used to spread some IC information.

I've been trying several times over the years to get Weazel news their own App on the phone instead so that you're not forced to see ads in the chat when you realistically wouldn't without looking at a screen or being near a radio.

Yeah, it's a shame that people voices Are left unheard and ignored, yet we are encourage to post our ideas here on forums. What Is the point in posting them, if maybe 1/100 gets even reviewed and 1/100 of the reviewed ones get actually implemented. 

On 2/17/2023 at 11:46 PM, James McGrity said:

I agree this is not continued and from then on  it's one here or there, but when they first start it's like the feel they need to launch weazel to the moon, and ads are the fuel.

Hey there! Around February the person that worked those night shifts was usually me and I can assure you that I have not posted that many ads in that time. It's usually even difficult to have 3 ads to post every 5 minutes. My own feed gets clogged in ads sometimes at those hours, though, because there's just not enough bulks to do that kind of stuff.

29 minutes ago, Kellie_D said:

Hey there! Around February the person that worked those night shifts was usually me and I can assure you that I have not posted that many ads in that time. It's usually even difficult to have 3 ads to post every 5 minutes. My own feed gets clogged in ads sometimes at those hours, though, because there's just not enough bulks to do that kind of stuff.

Honestly looking back at the footage I have/had that's exactly the case, the ads roll in but nothing else os going on so it looks like a steady stream. My apologies to all!

So yeah... It's not about weazel or ads (or what sort of info they carry in said ads), no, it's about game mechanic, where you wouldn't see ads with, for example, phone turned off, or dedicated app opened inside mobile phone UI.It just doesn't make sense, you wouldn't see advertisements if you would have phone battery dried out and phone closed! Those who will be interested in checking ads, would have to do something in order to see them, those who don't want to see them at the moment simply has no options to not see them. I Honestly don't know how much simpler I can explain it without people caching up on wrong ideas like  "I want weazel to die" or "have personal antipathy against weazel"... 

5 hours ago, Antonio_Colombo said:

So yeah... It's not about weazel or ads (or what sort of info they carry in said ads), no, it's about game mechanic, where you wouldn't see ads with, for example, phone turned off, or dedicated app opened inside mobile phone UI.It just doesn't make sense, you wouldn't see advertisements if you would have phone battery dried out and phone closed! Those who will be interested in checking ads, would have to do something in order to see them, those who don't want to see them at the moment simply has no options to not see them. I Honestly don't know how much simpler I can explain it without people caching up on wrong ideas like  "I want weazel to die" or "have personal antipathy against weazel"... 

Nah man I got what you were saying. I don't think this is some ploy to destroy the Weazel company. LOL.

Ads should be moved to a phone app or at least toggled off when your phone is off. I just don't think it'd be implemented for a looooong time, if at all. But I like the idea. 

I like the rgb ads, theres nothing wrong with it, it looks nice. People can choose how they want their ad to look withing the available colour palet or they can have Weazel use a template, either way the colour is not disturbing or anything imo, maybe if you have mods...

I also see nothing wrong with the amount of ads that come trough, sometimes theres an ad but its never enough to clear your whole chat and also the ads are a part of the city, they matter. If ads were disabled when the phone is off would make sence but then 90% of crims will never get ads because they play with their phones off.

Look I get it, you don't like ads irl and you dont like ads in game but changes to the server are made to improve the roleplay for everyone, the weazel faction is a necessary part of the city and if their leader thinks a change will greatly affect their ability to continue the roleplay then we should hold merrit to his opinion, definetly if more people agree. This idea has been proposed before and has received the same responses every time.