Yputi

Minimum RP character age

Hello,

So I was informed quite a while ago that people are not allowed to RP that they are younger then 16 years old. When I encountered a person who RP'ed he was around 10 years old I informed the person I heared about this. The person wasn't quite happy I said that, but I only informed him I heard it. An Admin came to teh location and confirmed it is NOT against the rules to RP underaged, but also said it was a rule in the old rulebook.
Then I explained that it made sense in my mind as everyone is able to get a driverslicense without any restrictions. Someone else then responded with that things should be seen in a RP way and not script (which I agree on). 
In the past I did encounter some "trolls" who were RP'ing underaged and showed quite some failRP. After that 1 encounter I haven't seen it for ages. 

The admin that was there also said it might get discussed to get it back in the rulebook. I personally do think it is a good idea. Why? Well, here is a list of what I think:
- People standard get base income. Quite alot for an underaged.
- Underaged can't get a job
-  Underaged people should be able to do crimes without getting the same punishment as older people (because they are underaged).
- Trolls (I know, there are people who can RP properly).

Basically, it doesnt really make sense to me.

Now, I hope to have some feedback and POV of other people. I personally do see how this was a rule in the past.

My theorem is:
The age your character can have, should be a minimum of 16 years or older.

Please let me know what you think, yay or nay. And ofcourse, why (so I can change my mind).

================================================================
UPDATE 1/1/2019
================================================================

Update:
I have checked all the comments. First of all, thank you so much for these.

First I want to answer some comments with my opinion:
@Xoza:

However for legal reasons and protections for the sake of the server, owners and community there should be rules against and zero tolerance of ERP with characters or players underage for any reason.

I searched hours and hours for offical rules against this. Sadly I didn't came far. Then I am talking about legal reasons. The game (GTA V) is a 18+ game and states it contains graphical content. What I did find was this post on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/282992646969557466/
This adds up to your point where there should be a zero tolerance of ERP with characters that are underaged. Commign back to the point where an ECRP staff member was upset finding 2 characters performing an act of ERP with an underaged caharcter informed, the staff member was disgusted and not happy. 
There are people in this community that don't really bother seeing this or performing this themselves, but there are also people who do. Personally I think it's a no-go, but it's not that upsetting for me as I do realize it's still a game.

@Denni:

I thought at first this was a minimum age to join the server. I would have +1 that... allowing the people to stay who are already underage but for no more new ones until 18+.

I did some research (again) and I did find the following: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_European_Game_Information
GTA V is classified as PEGI 18. However, PEGI ratings are there to HELP European consumers make informed decisions when buying video games.
I do believe this is something the server shouldn't be bussy with. Everyone is different and behaves different. It's up their parents, themselves or sellers of the games to decided if they should play or not.
I did see some discussions about this earlier and I did agree on some points. Still, I do think this is something to deal with by Rockstar or Steam and not by the server EXCEPT in exceptional situations.

@Flucifial:

but I do consider it Fail Roleplay for a 6 year old to be having ERP, because the odds of him/her even knowing what that is, is very slim.

I agree, 100%. What does make this hard in my opinion is that we (as the people controlling the characters) already have some knoledge that you might didn't had in the past. It will be hard to say something like: "You didn't had that knowledge when you were that old". Then it would be assuming as there are not fact to rely on.

My conclusion (for now):
I do think its great to have everyone's opinion and POV. Once again, this helped alot.
Personally I would appreciate some dedicated guide for people who RP an underaged character. If it is alone to remind them what would be considered promoting poorRP and the /do's we would expect from them as scriptwise this isn't possible, but the info would be important.

This updated will be added to the original post and the titel of the original post will be updated.

Edited by Yputi
Update with replies added. Also updated title.
  • Like 1

So here's the thing.
As long as there ain't a functional government, then we can't change the driving age or lessen the criminal punishment, even if you're underage ( As there's no parlament to suggest it, and no proper government to accept and enforce it )

But I do think it's important to make guidelines if people want to roleplay as an earlier age than 16, ICly.
For example, I think that we should have strict rules against any form for ERP if you're roleplaying a character that's under 16 years of age.
Not to limit players roleplay experience, but to avoid stuff like pedophilia being a rp thing.

4 minutes ago, Vasquez said:

So here's the thing.
As long as there ain't a functional government, then we can't change the driving age or lessen the criminal punishment, even if you're underage ( As there's no parlament to suggest it, and no proper government to accept and enforce it )

But I do think it's important to make guidelines if people want to roleplay as an earlier age than 16, ICly.
For example, I think that we should have strict rules against any form for ERP if you're roleplaying a character that's under 16 years of age.
Not to limit players roleplay experience, but to avoid stuff like pedophilia being a rp thing.

The admin I spoke with indeed did tell me RP'ing underaged is allowed, as long as ERP isnt involved.

Just now, Vasquez said:

I believe we should have it more clear.
Maybe adding it into the rules would be nice.

So just so I know I understand you right:
You SHOULD be able to RP underaged, but there should be strict rules and it should be clearly defined in the rulebook?
Also, do you think there should be a minimum at all? 10 years old is a little xtreme imo, but thats me.

Just now, Yputi said:

So just so I know I understand you right:
You SHOULD be able to RP underaged, but there should be strict rules and it should be clearly defined in the rulebook?
Also, do you think there should be a minimum at all? 10 years old is a little xtreme imo, but thats me.

I think 10 years old is pretty underage, and I personally don't see how it could be properly roleplayed.
But I don't believe in restricting it, like if you can roleplay it, then go ahead.
But as said, I think it's important to have some proper guide lines and rules to make sure people don't abuse this opportunity for their own sick fantasies or so.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xypint said:

Are you suggesting people under 16 shouldnt be allowed to rp on this server, or people RPing character under 16 shouldnt be allowed

RPing yes. 
Title: Minimum RP age
I will make it more clear, thanks

Edited by Yputi

4 minutes ago, Taedolf said:

I mean I honestly don't see an issue with it, provided it's actually done in an RP manner.

RP should be realistic and yes, I do agree it should be possible to RP it. As Vasquez mentioned though, I do think there should be clear rules:
"But as said, I think it's important to have some proper guide lines and rules to make sure people don't abuse this opportunity for their own sick fantasies or so."
Realisticly you won't put a 10 year old in jail. But from the other side, a 10 year old wouldn't lockpick a car. 
I still agree with Vasquez there should be clear and proper guide lines for this as I did see this in the past. Not to mention how I did see some people were 14 and 1 day later they were 18 and got their gun license.

• Like 1

I think that there shouldn't be a minimum. Certain couples like to roleplay having babies, then an actual player will roleplay their baby for them. In-game time goes 4x faster than IRL time, therefore the kids will age quicker. The base income given can be roleplayed as the parents as a College fund, for example.

If there is Fail Roleplay, then report them like anyone else.

All the other points you listed can be avoided with a good roleplayer who sticks to their scheme. 

Functional government is in the works.

-1 from me! 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Flucifial said:

I think that there shouldn't be a minimum. Certain couples like to roleplay having babies, then an actual player will roleplay their baby for them. In-game time goes 4x faster than IRL time, therefore the kids will age quicker. The base income given can be roleplayed as the parents as a College fund, for example.

If there is Fail Roleplay, then report them like anyone else.

All the other points you listed can be avoided with a good roleplayer who sticks to their scheme. 

Functional government is in the works.

-1 from me! 

Do you think no proper guidelines should be added to this kind of RP?

3 minutes ago, Yputi said:

Do you think no proper guidelines should be added to this kind of RP?

Why would under-age characters have special rules, that are different from everyone elses? I think there could be some in-character laws added about child labor, minimum driving ages, etc. and with that (and the upcoming government) the scripts could be updated to support underages. There doesn't need to be OOC rules for literally anything someone wants to roleplay, that's ridiculous. 

40 minutes ago, Flucifial said:

Why would under-age characters have special rules, that are different from everyone elses? I think there could be some in-character laws added about child labor, minimum driving ages, etc. and with that (and the upcoming government) the scripts could be updated to support underages. There doesn't need to be OOC rules for literally anything someone wants to roleplay, that's ridiculous. 

So also ERP should still be there for underaged?

4 minutes ago, Yputi said:

So also ERP should still be there for underaged?

I don't have an opinion on that. If they do it with each other, sure, but for example, a 10 year old doing ERP with a 24 year old, I don't know... I think it would just fall under the consent. It would be Fail Roleplay for example 6 year olds doing it, but I'm sure it has happened before IRL. 

2 minutes ago, Flucifial said:

I don't have an opinion on that. If they do it with each other, sure, but for example, a 10 year old doing ERP with a 24 year old, I don't know... I think it would just fall under the consent. It would be Fail Roleplay for example 6 year olds doing it, but I'm sure it has happened before IRL. 

I remember an staff member (not gonna name anyone) that was curious because he spotted people doing ERP with an underaged involved.

I am just trying to figure out what you would think and I am open for everything.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Yputi said:

I remember an staff member (not gonna name anyone) that was curious because he spotted people doing ERP with an underaged involved.

I am just trying to figure out what you would think and I am open for everything.

Yeah like I said, I don't see anything wrong with characters like 12 and up doing ERP with other kids, but I do consider it Fail Roleplay for a 6 year old to be having ERP, because the odds of him/her even knowing what that is, is very slim. It's a delicate topic, and would need more discussion for sure. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Flucifial said:

Yeah like I said, I don't see anything wrong with characters like 12 and up doing ERP with other kids, but I do consider it Fail Roleplay for a 6 year old to be having ERP, because the odds of him/her even knowing what that is, is very slim. It's a delicate topic, and would need more discussion for sure. 

I would update the post tomorrow. Also add my new POV on this.

I think I agree with @Flucifial on most points when it comes to having children, them playing and having fun like children would but growing up fast. There should be some guidelines though to playing as someone under the age of 18, like stating they are in a /do when they encounter someone new.

However for legal reasons and protections for the sake of the server, owners and community there should be rules against and zero tolerance of ERP with characters or players underage for any reason.

Update:
I have checked all the comments. First of all, thank you so much for these.

First I want to answer some comments with my opinion:
@Xoza:

I searched hours and hours for offical rules against this. Sadly I didn't came far. Then I am talking about legal reasons. The game (GTA V) is a 18+ game and states it contains graphical content. What I did find was this post on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/282992646969557466/
This adds up to your point where there should be a zero tolerance of ERP with characters that are underaged. Commign back to the point where an ECRP staff member was upset finding 2 characters performing an act of ERP with an underaged caharcter informed, the staff member was disgusted and not happy. 
There are people in this community that don't really bother seeing this or performing this themselves, but there are also people who do. Personally I think it's a no-go, but it's not that upsetting for me as I do realize it's still a game.

@Denni:

I thought at first this was a minimum age to join the server. I would have +1 that... allowing the people to stay who are already underage but for no more new ones until 18+.

I did some research (again) and I did find the following: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_European_Game_Information
GTA V is classified as PEGI 18. However, PEGI ratings are there to HELP European consumers make informed decisions when buying video games.
I do believe this is something the server shouldn't be bussy with. Everyone is different and behaves different. It's up their parents, themselves or sellers of the games to decided if they should play or not.
I did see some discussions about this earlier and I did agree on some points. Still, I do think this is something to deal with by Rockstar or Steam and not by the server EXCEPT in exceptional situations.

@Flucifial:

but I do consider it Fail Roleplay for a 6 year old to be having ERP, because the odds of him/her even knowing what that is, is very slim.

I agree, 100%. What does make this hard in my opinion is that we (as the people controlling the characters) already have some knoledge that you might didn't had in the past. It will be hard to say something like: "You didn't had that knowledge when you were that old". Then it would be assuming as there are not fact to rely on.

My conclusion (for now):
I do think its great to have everyone's opinion and POV. Once again, this helped alot.
Personally I would appreciate some dedicated guide for people who RP an underaged character. If it is alone to remind them what would be considered promoting poorRP and the /do's we would expect from them as scriptwise this isn't possible, but the info would be important.

This updated will be added to the original post and the titel of the original post will be updated.

Edited by Yputi
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Flucifial said:

I do consider it Fail Roleplay for a 6 year old to be having ERP, because the odds of him/her even knowing what that is, is very slim. 

With all due respect, a 6 years old child unawareness of sex wouldn't stop a 30 years old man from having sex with said child.
I understand that it's a case by case thing, but even with both players consent, I still believe we should have a rule specifically stating the minimum age of ERPing, just to avoid any kind of pedophilia roleplay on the server.

I don't see anything wrong with characters like 12 and up doing ERP with other kids

I'm pretty sure it's still considered pedophilia if the character is 12.
The legal age of consent in the US is 18, while in EU it's around 16, so I think we should keep the age of consent at 16, and def. not 12.

Edited by Vasquez
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Denni said:

18+? That's a little over the top... there are multiple staff members who are 16 years of age or younger. I don't see why this would be needed. 

1 hour ago, Vasquez said:

I'm pretty sure it's still considered pedophilia if the character is 12.
The legal age of consent in the US is 18, while in EU it's around 16, so I think we should keep the age of consent at 16, and def. not 12.

For a 12 year old to do it with another 12 year old? That's more of something parents would need to handle.

Age of consent in the US is a state by state thing, not a nationwide thing, however, those are laws, so they should be laws in the game as well, not OOCly. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.