Arvark

Police Scanner

Very few people would possess the ability or knowledge to "hack" such systems in real life. It makes no RP sense that everybody would possess such an ability, just as it makes no RP sense to steal helicopters and fly them, but people do it anyway. 

Furthermore the risk to reward ratio is completely unbalanced. If you succeed you get access to vital information and presumably PD communications, whereas if you fail you, at most, have to AFK for 2hrs in prison. Also, this just seems to encourage cop baiting, I don't know what use this would have other than to cop bait. 

Edited by Aldari_Tagril
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Aldari_Tagril said:

Very few people would possess the ability or knowledge to "hack" such systems in real life. It makes no RP sense that everybody would possess such an ability, just as it makes no RP sense to steal helicopters and fly them, but people do it anyway. 

Furthermore the risk to reward ratio is completely unbalanced. If you succeed you get access to vital information and presumably PD communications, whereas if you fail you, at most, have to AFK for 2hrs in prison. Also, this just seems to encourage cop baiting, I don't know what use this would have other than to cop bait. 

Mh, I'm not saying it should be an easy thing to get, maybe something can be added so that it's hard to get and you actually have to know stuff (like how recipes work for drugs, I don't see people in real life making Heroin from scratch but it's in the server, I saw the shipment more realistic, that's how it works IRL), and also it why would it be used for Cop baiting? Anyway it could be used for robberies and all kinds of illegal stuff...

1 hour ago, Captain Tofu said:

-1 Just don't act the way that leaves you with a criminal record if you don't want one.

And for the first suggestion, criminals have way too much power already. -1

Well this is a Roleplay so it's supposed to simulate real life, and in real life people don't wanna get caught and they'd do everything they can in order for it not to happen which includes a police scanner, I bet how effective it would be to say "Just don't act the way that leaves you a criminal record if you don't want one" to any criminal.

Being to able get into the LSPD radio frequency would be something that can happen in real life. There are people who sit there and listen to police radio as a hobby, I would entertain that idea once cop baiting was shown to ease up on the server. I don't think that being able to listen in on 911 calls (as they are made by phone) or being able to hack your record and clear it is very realistic though.

Yeah maybe the record thing could be a super rare thing. Also yeah calls themselves should not be listened to, I didn't explain myself very well in the post, I meant something like: 

A calls the cops "Shootout at Rockford Hills"

the dispatcher says on the radio "Shootout at Rockford Hills", you should be able to listen that, on top of that any convo made with the radio (although I'd be more inclined towards the idea of just hearing the dispatcher rather than the full radio)

10 hours ago, Arvark said:

Yeah maybe the record thing could be a super rare thing. Also yeah calls themselves should not be listened to, I didn't explain myself very well in the post, I meant something like: 

A calls the cops "Shootout at Rockford Hills"

the dispatcher says on the radio "Shootout at Rockford Hills", you should be able to listen that, on top of that any convo made with the radio (although I'd be more inclined towards the idea of just hearing the dispatcher rather than the full radio)

I don't see why we should give criminals this advantage

5 hours ago, Chris Strange said:

I don't see why we should give criminals this advantage

As I said, it shouldn't be something easy to get, more like something very hard to get so only few get it. And maybe make it so that you can't use it forever, maybe only lasts for a couple of IRL days.

4 hours ago, Arvark said:

As I said, it shouldn't be something easy to get, more like something very hard to get so only few get it. And maybe make it so that you can't use it forever, maybe only lasts for a couple of IRL days.

It's virtually impossible to hack police radios for the reason I mentioned. I can't speak for every police department but at least where I live everything is strictly accounted for - Firearms, radios, OSTT equipment (spray, baton, tazers etc) are all issued at the start of the shift and returned at the end.

1 hour ago, DeanThompson said:

It's virtually impossible to hack police radios for the reason I mentioned. I can't speak for every police department but at least where I live everything is strictly accounted for - Firearms, radios, OSTT equipment (spray, baton, tazers etc) are all issued at the start of the shift and returned at the end.

Not questioning that, I'm speaking about the "advantage".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.