Elsie

is this community safe for LGBT people?

i only ask because i saw a thread from this forum a little bit ago full of extremely homophobic jokes (it has since been archived, it was from almost 2 years ago) and it made me pretty nervous about joining this community. does this server condone that kind of behavior? are LGBT players welcome here and protected from harassment under some kind of rule? this is a genuine question.

• Like 3

Everyone on the server is treated the same.

If you play, and someone makes comments that you don't like, you can ask them to stop, and if they don't stop, you may report them.

If someone says something, and no action is taken, then nothing will happen to that player. So if someone says something that is considered "Gross [Rule 8: Point 6]" and you ask them to stop, but they don't - then you should report them.

Edited by Boonga
  • Like 2

Hey @Elsie, with my interactions with a lot of the players here out of character, I've seen a lot of them being supportive of LGBTQ+ folks which is extremely important to me. In terms of In Character interactions, the F slur and some other slurs that would be considered homophobic have been thrown around quite a bit in all honesty which can make me uncomfortable at times, but I just remember that hopefully these are in-character interactions only and it doesn't depict that player's out of character beliefs or opinions. If stuff like this makes you uncomfortable, or it's excessive you can definitely ask them in /b (Out of Character chat) to stop using those terms as it's making you uncomfortable per the server rules.

Under #8 of the Server Rules, it states the following:

Players using offensive language IC must not use it excessively and must stop if asked OOCly.

If a user ends up using language in character that is making you uncomfortable out of character and they don't stop when you ask them to, it's a breach of server rules and that individual should be reported for it. Generally speaking, I'm always recording with a bodycam for in-character reasons, but I have Shadowplay recording in 10 minute intervals for ensuring that I can document breaches of server rules properly for player reports. Barring some interactions with random players I've met once or twice, everyone that I interact with on a normal basis is extremely supportive and very accepting of people for who they are.

I hope this helps! Welcome to the community. 🙂

• Like 1

I believe the server and it's staff members obviously don't condone any homophobic and transphobic behaviour.

However, this is a gaming community with young people, which sadly means that sometimes they will IC'ly scream out slurs. From my experience, there seems to be a culture of calling people who RP as presenting female characters and have a deeper voice as ''Traps''. I would imagine and hope anyone seen doing this if reported would be punished, but by then the damage might be done. These players can get punished if they are reported on the forums with evidence. Furthermore, there is no explicit rule banning the usage of these words, something I have spoken out against in the past. They do however prevent these words from being said, if it is blatantly obvious they are being used to illicit an OOC reaction and it falls outside of the realistic actions their character would portray.

The following is an image about an announcement made by a Head Admin on the matter

ZeazDWC.png

Hopefully this clarifies some of the points. I would love to have written this reply with open arms saying ''Most slurs are banned, NO exceptions allowed'', but sadly that isn't the case just yet, hopefully it will change in the future. I do hope you give the server a shot and see how you enjoy it, there are a bunch of really cool and accepting people who RP on the server and I am sure they would love to RP with you given the chance.

TL;DR - If someone wants to use the N-word (and I would assume this applies to other just as offensive words) specifically to offend a player and/or cause ''shock value'' OOC'ly then you MUST gain OOC permission to do so, according to Rule 8 someone linked in another reply. This does still mean you might hear certain words used in passing though assuming they aren't being used to directly offend anyone. However, you then have the ability to ask the person to stop using it. 

Edited by Cyrus Raven
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Elsie said:

are LGBT players welcome here and protected from harassment under some kind of rule?

Absolutely! Everyone is welcome here so long as they are willing to promote positivity and provide a good experience for all players in the community.

Welcome!

• Like 1

@Boonga @Brant @Cyrus Raven @MrSilky thank you so much for the reassurance! after seeing jokes oocly made about the pulse shooting in florida in that one thread it unsettled me quite a bit but your responses have made me feel better about all that aha. i'm transgender myself so knowing there's plenty of support here is definitely comforting. looking forward to playing here when i'm finished building my pc! ❤️

• Like 7