Charlie Mchoe

Testers for new updates that come to Eclipse.

Testers for new updates that come to Eclipse

In my opinion the Eclipse Server should have testers for the new updates that come to eclipse, this could either be randomly selected people from a group of people or a applicable thing similar to support. People who apply to be a tester should have above 300k xp. Once they successfully applied for the "Tester" rank there will be a tester channel where the Staff can @ Testers and get trusted people to test the new updates. The main role of the tester is to give feedback on the updates so that the developers can improve them till they are acceptable and usable for the main server, This way there will be less interruptions and restarts when releasing an update.

26fd4e94a3e8573d74fb39da4f31ebdc.png This could be the rank for people who successfully apply for the rank

89bdd08467ef42a887e38e168711f98b.pngThis could be a rank for people who review the Tester applications

8d2b287540a0f04f6b2d0ae23407b723.pngThis could be the rank for the person or people who manage the Testers

This Topic is just a suggestion to maintain and improve Eclipse rp it has nothing to do with the new update that rolled out the idea just came to mind. 

7 minutes ago, Aldarine said:

The Staff Team are the testers my dear.

I mean the testing at the moment isn't as thorough as it could be, the staff team is very legal-RP sided at the moment and I think it would be idea to get players from all areas of the community to contribute to testing as they often have different ways of doing things and different play styles based on their background. 

• Upvote 2

When we are testing things we are purposefully trying to "break" features. This has nothing to do with the side of roleplay you chose to partake in. We run through commands, features, and try to exploit, test, break, and manipulate them to find bugs and kinks so developers can look into them. 

1 minute ago, Aldarine said:

When we are testing things we are purposefully trying to "break" features. This has nothing to do with the side of roleplay you chose to partake in. We run through commands, features, and try to exploit, test, break, and manipulate them to find bugs and kinks so developers can look into them. 

The point I am making is that some players will have far more experience in certain areas of role-play than some members of staff, this will mean that they will be more knowledgeable about what it should, what it does and what it is intended to do. Staff is currently extremely legally orientated and it makes very little sense for them to be testing and approving changes to criminal RP, especially when it won't affect them and when they might not know what it previously did.

• Upvote 1

We're not the ones approving scripted changes to the server. Developers put everything in and we work together to go through the features with them providing information to intent, purpose, and functionality as we go through the testing process. Again, this has nothing to do with any line of roleplay. We are testing scripted features for bugs not saying what should/should not be implemented.

Just now, Aldarine said:

We're not the ones approving scripted changes to the server. Developers put everything in and we work together to go through the features with them providing information to intent, purpose, and functionality as we go through the testing process. Again, this has nothing to do with any line of roleplay. We are testing scripted features for bugs not roleplay.

My point is someone should be testing things for role-play. Take the portable drug lab feature for example, it was implemented thinking everything would be okay, quickly we learnt that the timers were too long, the selling prices were too low, the laptop regeneration was too slow and the tables were blowing up way too often. Things like this could be avoided with a more thorough testing procedure that involves more senior members of the community such as official faction high command and official faction members who can test these features thoroughly for extended periods of time prior to their release on the live server. You should not be pushing updates to the live server unless they have been tested in a properly controlled environment.

• Upvote 1

I respectfully still completely disagree. There is a difference between testing features to see if they work and obtaining community feedback following the push of an update. One deals with confidential information that the staff team is privy to and the other is overview of a community response and adjustments to features. Adjustments will always happen based on input from our playerbase from experienced to inexperienced players but that does not go hand in hand with trying to break something and exploit bugs.

personally I think there should be a new "Tester" role where staff members are free to apply but one of the points of the tester role is to spread the work around and not give it all to one group of people such as staff who have many jobs such as doing reports and other moderator activities. Allowing members of the community to apply for "tester" role gives the staff more time to do other activities and it doesn't overflow them in work. It also gives the community more of an insight on the new updates coming to eclipse 

Just now, MohammedAli said:

More than testing, i think updates should be discussed through polls and community feedback before being implemented.

We have had many great updates that made it fun for us, but we have also had awful changes which need reworking/removing.

+1 To that as well.

1 minute ago, MohammedAli said:

More than testing, i think updates should be discussed through polls and community feedback before being implemented.

We have had many great updates that made it fun for us, but we have also had awful changes which need reworking/removing.

I totally agree

I would rather just see more options for developers and staff members to get feedback from faction leaders and experienced members on things they think are issues in their respective areas and things that can be done to improve them. Rather than having testers, which i must say seems more of a thing to prevent bugs than anything else, have options for people to give feedback and requests too the developers, as this latest update has shown crystal clear the lack of communication between what the community wants and what the developers impliment.

@Aldarine What staff is doing is QA they ensure the bug squash. You dont have testers for the new gameplay. There is nobody in staff I know who actively is a criminal expect from seas and Will right now. Dont you think that maybe a criminal who makes alot of drugs with alot of XP could have better input that staff who are only legal and have almost 0 knowledge about the meta of the criminal state? 

Most games have testing because they want to find bugs/exploits in upcoming updates, which is what admins already do. If you then have balancing testers after, that just postpones the update and again, you're limiting your input on a small group of players. It's better to release a new feature to the live server and have everyone test it and give their input. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.