Sophine

The Solution to Fear RP

I have a gift for you, Eclipse RP. I've been trying to decide whether I really can be bothered to post this because I expect people will just say 'no' and not even really think about the consequences of the current situation, or the proposed changes, but I've decided to be kind rather than spiteful (for the most part).

The gift is a way to get rid of the vast majority of the Fear RP rule. The rule that demands that you use ruleplay over roleplay - that removes any kind of agency you have over your character's actions and demands that you act a certain way. For example - being told that it's against Fear RP to drive a vehicle through a street, but it's okay to walk through it. Because that's apparently less scary. Or something.

Anyway. The solution is: make death an actual thing to fear.

Right now, players fear going to jail more than they fear death. They are not allowed to run away from someone, even though it makes more sense to run than to stand and be robbed by some sloppy two-bit thief that doesn't even have any bullets in his gun.

Now, how do you make death something to fear? One solution that I've experienced in my 20 years of roleplaying is permanent-death. That is, you die and you're dead. No respawn. Dead. If you can prove that your character had a valid IC reason to murder a person then that person is dead. If you didn't, that person can appeal and get revived. That mechanic actually worked wonders for making people fear for their lives, but it's not something I'd suggest here on this server. People love shooting each other too much and death is way too easy to achieve for it to really work for this game.

Instead, I'd suggest some kind of penalty for dying. For example, in the United States of America, the cost for going to hospital can bankrupt people if they have no medical insurance. Heck, it can even bankrupt people if they DO have medical insurance. You could make dying cost a heck of a lot of money -- if you can't pay, then you go into debt, just like you do for going to jail. Are people messing around and not really taking death seriously? Tack on a $50K hospital charge if you were murdered, or something like that. Watch people actually care if they die. The actual number is irrelevant, what you're trying to do is make people fear death rather than try to use some kind of nonsense this-is-how-you-must-roleplay-even-though-it-makes-no-sense ruleplay.

The best way to encourage behaviour in any game is through game mechanics and not through rules. It'll also save a heck of a lot of time for admins and reports.

+1 FearRP should be led by the player's actions and not the rules. I hate the fact that players are almost forced to rp a certain way according to the rules leaving them have no choice when it comes to their actions due to players threatening to report you. I'm not that a big hospital fine will solve it but punishment for dying should be made. I also reckon they should allow people more time before they fully die allowing them to get saved and not die as often

• Like 2

For starters, Criminals already lose a lot upon death with the lack of guns on the server, and their street value.

Police paying 50k every time they die on duty would most likely result in an increase in salary or an overall ruling that makes their deaths cheaper per your idea. 

I can go on, but I think there’s too many variables to suit this idea properly. Death is and should always be feared. I understand why you say jail is more concerning, but I don’t think both options need fiscal penalties.

Just now, DetectiveStone said:

For starters, Criminals already lose a lot upon death with the lack of guns on the server, and their street value.

Police paying 50k every time they die on duty would most likely result in an increase in salary or an overall ruling that makes their deaths cheaper per your idea. 

I can go on, but I think there’s too many variables to suit this idea properly. Death is and should always be feared. I understand why you say jail is more concerning, but I don’t think both options need fiscal penalties.

Then it doesn't need to be a fiscal penalty. It just needs to be a reason to fear death. I disagree with your claim that death is feared right now. It really isn't. The number of times I've seen people messing around and just leave someone to die because they know they can just go pick them up from Pillbox is more than 4.

Just now, DetectiveStone said:

I agree that 50k is a lot but I think the problem with FearRP is that it rarely allows the player to do their own actions. For example, If I had a gun pointed at me and they told me to get on my knees, If I ran away they would definetly report me for not following their commands!

Just now, Sophine said:

Then it doesn't need to be a fiscal penalty. It just needs to be a reason to fear death. I disagree with your claim that death is feared right now. It really isn't. The number of times I've seen people messing around and just leave someone to die because they know they can just go pick them up from Pillbox is more than 4.

That’s a breach of NLR then, and is punishable. I understand why you say death isn’t feared, but I can guarantee you every criminal on the server does not want to die and lose their stuff.

10 minutes ago, Sophine said:

Tack on a $50K hospital charge if you were murdered, or something like that

Strong -1.

The only thing this will bring is people targeting their enemies after every NLR cycle with the one goal of placing them in crippling debt.

People will still die both accidentally and intentionally even if this was in place.

• Upvote 1

Just now, CallumMontie said:

Strong -1.

The only thing this will bring is people targeting their enemies after every NLR cycle with the one goal of placing them in crippling debt.

People will still die both accidentally and intentionally even if this was in place.

The figure was given as an example, and to get people to think of alternatives. How things are right now is not sustainable. The server cannot claim to be a roleplay server just have the biggest rule breaches be those that dictate how they should roleplay in situations.

The only thing you have to fear is FearRP itself.

FearRP is simple. The rule is intended to enforce showing due care for your characters life in situations where you would IRL.

The number of people who say "They would run at close gunpoint" are welcome to try as this eliminates the stupid from the smart. You would die, and it would take seconds.

It is fairly simple to not be placed under FRP, perhaps take time to learn how to do so and then avoid placing your character in these situations in the future.

1 minute ago, CallumMontie said:

FearRP is simple. The rule is intended to enforce showing due care for your characters life in situations where you would IRL.

The number of people who say "They would run at close gunpoint" are welcome to try as this eliminates the stupid from the smart. You would die, and it would take seconds.

It is fairly simple to not be placed under FRP, perhaps take time to learn how to do so and then avoid placing your character in these situations in the future.

I respectfully disagree with this assessment. Some parts of FearRP make sense, other parts make less sense. For example, bank tellers at banks that press a button and a security screen comes up to protect them. In this game, that would be deemed a breach of FearRP. In real life, it's their job. That you think that you can tell people how they would react in any situation is either arrogant or naive.

1 minute ago, Sophine said:

I respectfully disagree with this assessment. Some parts of FearRP make sense, other parts make less sense. For example, bank tellers at banks that press a button and a security screen comes up to protect them. In this game, that would be deemed a breach of FearRP. In real life, it's their job. That you think that you can tell people how they would react in any situation is either arrogant or naive.

A bank teller would not press the panic alarm if in clear direct gunfire whilst the gunman watched.

6 minutes ago, CallumMontie said:

A bank teller would not press the panic alarm if in clear direct gunfire whilst the gunman watched.

Arrogant it is then.

You see - you're telling people how they should act, rather than allowing them to roleplay and thus removing any kind of option that they have in deciding what their character would do. Let's call it 'railroading'. The moment you start telling people how they should behave, you start having to decide for every single situation whether that person SHOULD be allowed to roleplay their character that way. If, however, you made the player actually fear death as the character should then you don't need to do that. You give them control of their character back and stop telling people they're playing it wrong.

Edited by Sophine

The only system that actually had a big impact and actually worked was the coma system. It was boring as hell since you had to AFK for 15 minutes, but it did work. That system needs to come back, but in a different way (like being locked inside the hospital and potentially RP with medical staff or other patients). 5-10 minutes of that would be enough. To make it more fair, it would only apply if you were downed for less than 2 minutes. It should make people think twice before running it down mid into a gunfight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marca said:

The only system that actually had a big impact and actually worked was the coma system. It was boring as hell since you had to AFK for 15 minutes, but it did work. That system needs to come back, but in a different way (like being locked inside the hospital and potentially RP with medical staff or other patients). 5-10 minutes of that would be enough. To make it more fair, it would only apply if you were downed for less than 2 minutes. It should make people think twice before running it down mid into a gunfight.

Now this seems like a better fit, shame it was removed,

1 minute ago, Marca said:

Some kind of medical/coma RP would be pretty neat. It'd give medics something else to do than just painkiller RP and if you think that it actually made people fear death then it's a perfectly valid solution.

I see why this suggestion would be unpopular, but I actually agree with it. If you drop most of the Fear RP rules but implement the coma system, players would be more likely to act as they would in real life. If someone has a gun to you but your car is right there, you should have your own choice to risk your life trying to get to your car and escape. You may make it, you may not. The risk factor of dying and going through the coma system (Or maybe a fine, smaller than a prison fine usually is though) would encourage players to have more freedom to weather they want to comply with attackers' demands or not.

Edit: 

55 minutes ago, Sophine said:

Tack on a $50K hospital charge if you were murdered, or something like that

This is definitely way too overkill, however the money you lose upon death could depend on how much money you have total. The richer a person is, the more money they would lose if they died. However, to prevent newer players from abusing the system (Because they may not have that much money) is the more often you die, the longer your coma timer would be.

Edited by WobblierDog15
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marca said:

I like this idea, creates new RP possibilities aswell as "punishing" people for dying.

-1, I feel the way to fix fear RP is adding more rp. Like why do we need consent to kidnap/kill(execution) and torture. That and there no ability to do drive by. I feel if we removed some of these restrictions it would fix fear RP problems. But -1 on perma death and -1 on paying to come back.

Just now, Ultra3D said:

-1 Would punish people being DMed/VDMed

I mean isn't that the point? No one should be able to die and not lose any sort of money. If they did get DMed or VDMed then thats their problem and if they feel that it was wrong then obviously they can report it

1 minute ago, Ultra3D said:

-1 Would punish people being DMed/VDMed

If the person who got DMed made a report, they would get their stuff back. Ever heard of a refund report?

1 minute ago, MVGGreg said:

I mean isn't that the point? No one should be able to die and not lose any sort of money. If they did get DMed or VDMed then thats their problem and if they feel that it was wrong then obviously they can report it

It's not their problem if they got DM/VDMed. It's the fault of the rule breaker. Therefore, they make a report and get their stuff back. Just like if someone DMed you in game and you lost your items. Make a report and get them back

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.