corrosive

Make debt system take a percentage

Que the "don't break the law" speeches. But my character is a criminal. It is the role I chose and a role that I enjoy. But when I am arrested and charged are added (which are instantly zapped out of my bank) I often find myself in 30k debt, sometimes more. This means I have to grind for hours and earn nothing. I cannot even buy food or a GPS. I think it is far more rp to take a percentage of your income. Even if it is 60%. I saw a new player in jail with 80k debt. How is he possibly going to ever pay it off if he is going to starve to death before he gets anywhere. 

The issue is that unless people are forced, they are never going to pay their debt off. If debt only took off 60%, someone could just take that 40% that's left and be content to keep the debt up. 

Criminal activity also pays you in hand instead of in salary (robbing stores, selling drugs, robbing people), so debt is pretty well balanced for a career criminal.

3 minutes ago, alexalex303 said:

The issue is that unless people are forced, they are never going to pay their debt off. If debt only took off 60%, someone could just take that 40% that's left and be content to keep the debt up. 

Criminal activity also pays you in hand instead of in salary (robbing stores, selling drugs, robbing people), so debt is pretty well balanced for a career criminal.

No because, the system would take 60% of there earnings. So to get that 40%, you would automatically pay the 60%. Getting paid cash in hand is avoidance of paying the debt system 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, corrosive said:

No because, the system would take 60% of there earnings. So to get that 40%, you would automatically pay the 60%. Getting paid cash in hand is avoidance of paying the debt system 

If you have a debt of $25,000 and you take out $8,000 in salary, only $3,200 would go to paying your debt off. This would be painfully slow.

12 minutes ago, alexalex303 said:

If you have a debt of $25,000 and you take out $8,000 in salary, only $3,200 would go to paying your debt off. This would be painfully slow.

Sorry, But you have done your calculation wrong. 8000-40% to you =$4800 paid to debt. This leaves you with $3,200. $500 for GPS, $800 for fuel every few hours. plus food and water. This leaves you with the rp choice of using the rest to pay off your debt fast. Or living with reduced earnings for the forseable future. I don't mean to come across as pointlessly arguing. It's just something I think will bring motivation and not giving up because you're stuck in an automated system that you have no say in.

You have a say, you CHOOSE to lead the life you do.  Noone is forcing you, so making that choice is not forced upon you. Maybe doing things smarter would lead to less times being caught and punished, therefore racking up debt.  I think the motivation people ignore is not doing stupid crimes that will get you caught fast.  Being a smarter criminal will make you more money and you'll be caught far less than the average petty criminal.  Perhaps it's all in the perspective that you look at it that causes you to see this as a problem?  

4 minutes ago, Reckless311 said:

You have a say, you CHOOSE to lead the life you do.  Noone is forcing you, so making that choice is not forced upon you. Maybe doing things smarter would lead to less times being caught and punished, therefore racking up debt.  I think the motivation people ignore is not doing stupid crimes that will get you caught fast.  Being a smarter criminal will make you more money and you'll be caught far less than the average petty criminal.  Perhaps it's all in the perspective that you look at it that causes you to see this as a problem?  

With the influx of new police, and the sheriff's department opening. Pretty soon I will go to jail for J walking 

13 minutes ago, corrosive said:

With the influx of new police, and the sheriff's department opening. Pretty soon I will go to jail for J walking 

Jaywalking is a citation. You said you don't want to pointlessly argue but then you come with that snarky remark at a legitimate comment.

I currently have an unplayable character. He has 200k in debt (which he got from speeding before the debt update applied. I know it's very easy to say don't the crime if you can't deal with the consequences, but everyone else had their pre-update debt wiped. The only reason my character still has this debt is he went to jail the day the update came out). 

So, he is 200k in debt, 0 cash. He has a car on the map that he can't find because he doesn't have a map/gps, and can't afford one. He can't do any of the civilian jobs like trucking/bus driver/courier to pay back the debt because they require a gps to actually see where you are going. So no way to make an income. I'm fortunate that I have other characters to play on but there are new players in this exact position and debt has made the game unplayable for them

• Like 1

I agree that the debt should be serviced as a % garnishment on your salary. In real life when you owe the government money they don't take 100% of what you make, you still are left with enough to survive (enough for food, water and small supplies necessary to do your job). 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.