jacobedwardd

Automatic Impound lots

making Impound lots automatic  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer the impound lots to be run automatically rather than needing PD/SD

• Yes, automatic preferred
    • No, leave it the way it is now

Maybe we can just cut the human intervention part out completely and just RP with ourselves.

I don't think full automation should be considered, because its one of the only methods of cop/crim interaction that doesn't either end in a gun being drawn or a yelling contest. I also don't think leaving it as it is should be considered either, because I can imagine during the timezones where cops aren't online much and you want your car, it's a bitch.

I'd be up for automatic un-impound under the following conditions.

• There are less than six cops online at the time (PD/SD combined).
  • You need a valid drivers license.

That way we still keep the RP opps there but if you having to wait, it's an in-character issue where cops are busy, not an out of character one where they are just not logged in, on duty. You shouldn't get punished because people aren't active but at the same time, this aint Burger King, can't have it always your way either.

There are probably improvements there to make the sex more pleasurable for the cop too;

• Letting us know which Impound it's at, either City or Paleto.
  • How much the un-impound fee is BEFORE release.
  • Allowing us to set an optional time under certain conditions for a car not to be retrievable when impounding.
  • Allowing us to un-impound your vehicle from your list of impounded vehicles like /ticket functions, instead of typing in the plate.
  • Adding this straight fire flatbed script, that @Thang and me worked on improving, to flatbed the vehicle there so you don't have to fuck about with the positioning.
    https://streamable.com/lkzfy5
  • Also, if a vehicle is permastalled when impounded, charge the player an extra fee (like $500) but give them enough vehicle health left for them to take their car and get it fixed properly at Bayview or LSC.

Quality of life that shit and every one wins.
Damn, i'm good at this shit.

Edited by Bala
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

On 7/12/2023 at 11:37 PM, Bala said:

Maybe we can just cut the human intervention part out completely and just RP with ourselves.

I don't think full automation should be considered, because its one of the only methods of cop/crim interaction that doesn't either end in a gun being drawn or a yelling contest. I also don't think leaving it as it is should be considered either, because I can imagine during the timezones where cops aren't online much and you want your car, it's a bitch.

That way we still keep the RP opps there but if you having to wait, it's an in-character issue where cops are busy, not an out of character one where they are just not logged in, on duty. You shouldn't get punished because people aren't active but at the same time, this aint Burger King, can't have it always your way either.

There are probably improvements there to make the sex more pleasurable for the cop too;

• Allowing us to set an optional time under certain conditions for a car not to be retrievable when impounding.
  • Allowing us to un-impound your vehicle from your list of impounded vehicles like /ticket functions, instead of typing in the plate.
  • Adding this straight fire flatbed script, that @Thang and me worked on improving, to flatbed the vehicle there so you don't have to fuck about with the positioning.
  • Also, if a vehicle is permastalled when impounded, charge the player an extra fee (like $500) but give them enough vehicle health left for them to take their car and get it fixed properly at Bayview or LSC.

Thats a joke. For cops and Crim to interact. I have clips of cops legit avoiding doing their job. Giving lame excuses as to why they cant help or straight up ignoring you. Cops are just here to "RP" gun fights since they know they wont lose anything since its all handed to them automatically.  

• Like 1
  • hand 1

6 hours ago, Diego_Montoya said:

Thats a joke. For cops and Crim to interact. I have clips of cops legit avoiding doing their job. Giving lame excuses as to why they cant help or straight up ignoring you. Cops are just here to "RP" gun fights since they know they wont lose anything since its all handed to them automatically.  

ok spiderman

• Like 1
  • yooo 1

On 7/13/2023 at 12:24 AM, Phantas said:

This aint ever happening. Been asked of forever, staff have said multiple times suggestion has been forward to Devs due to reasons provided to them. Just ain't a priority update and will slip through the cracks for other updates. 

Hey man, at least we have the cool heartbeat sound effect that doesnt go away until you heal, and the flashing red screen, those are priorities, man

On 8/6/2023 at 2:01 PM, Diego_Montoya said:

Bros right though, had a cop straight up drop me off and let me iut of cuffs so they can go to a shootout lmao

On 7/13/2023 at 4:37 AM, Bala said:

"R u havin a bubble bath my son?"

I am 110% behind keeping RP interactions as open and organic as possible but pointing to impound release as an example is like pointing the the NHS as an example of good public healthcare...

Best case scenario is the LEO shows up within 30 minutes, tersely asks which car, sits at the "PC" for a minute, car spawns, he leaves. thats best case. the worst case is despite sirens blaring throughout the city, no one takes the call.

now the LEO don't wanna be there, the crim dont wanna wait there, theres no fun being had, theres certainly no RP being enjoyed...why not automate it? we are fine automating speeding tickets, we are fine automating Mors. 

That said, all the other suggestions you have sound real nice.

• Like 1
  • YAY 1

The automatic speeding tickets are for OOC reasons, not IC ones. As people were driving through populated areas of the server at speed and it was intended as a countermeasure to that. As for Mors, I mean the inconvenience is the price but also, your car getting totalled.

In terms of the Impound, the cop part of me still feels the same way about the Impound. I think that it's still an important part of what we can do as cops, especially for the newer people. So, I wouldn't be in favour of a fully automated system.

At the same time though, I think we have to recognise that impound response particularly in quieter times, sucks and inevitably it's an OOC punishment for our players to be denied their vehicle when they can get it.

After two fucking years, we might finally get that city impound which will hopefully make things more convenient down there.
I'd be up for allowing mechanics and government workers to release vehicles, just to give more things for mechanics and gov to do.
I'd be up for automatic un-impounds if there is less than x amount of cops on duty, you have a valid license and no outstanding charges.

Hell fuck it, give the workers that work the impound a small bonus for releasing vehicles?

Fully automatic is bad for business though.

Edited by Bala

Then why are all car dealers automated? Just cause they put in the hours to make millions now they dont have to rp? Same for all the corner stores. High end and low end are automated.... We can go in circles all day making up arguments for every side. I work 8-10 hours a day. I dont want to come home and send 1-2 hours waiting to get a car back. The only option I have is buying more cars or hoping someone feels like doing the least fun part of their job. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bala said:

In terms of the Impound, the cop part of me still feels the same way about the Impound. I think that it's still an important part of what we can do as cops, especially for the newer people. So, I wouldn't be in favour of a fully automated system.

While it may be an important part of the police job, it is not treated as such. It seems everything takes priority over the impound yard. When you have been standing in the impound for an hour requesting service and you are watching police drive past you (without their lights on) it gets really frustrating. Also, when it does happen, there isn't any fantastic RP to write home about. The police and the person getting their car generally don't want to be there and are trying to get through the process as fast as they can to go and do other things. 

Maybe meet in the middle. Have a timer start (15 minutes) and if that timer ends before someone comes, then it becomes automated. It would be interesting to see how many manual services are done vs automated in this scenario. 🤔

• Like 1

+1

While I can understand wanting to keep it the way it currently stands is to keep immersing and promoting friendly LEO and crim interaction, rather than just purely arrests or shootouts, and on paper that is quite a good thing. However in standard practice, it's usually resulting in waiting for multiple hours to even get an officer to come, or having an officer come quickly drop off a car and impound it and quickly driving off.
 There's been times I've personally waited and I've seen a LEO quickly come and impound a vehicle and then flat out say no when asked to get a vehicle out, as seen in the quoted message below.

On 10/9/2023 at 4:34 PM, Kjaer said:

https://streamable.com/w9y809 typical impound scenario

For some players, their vehicle in the lot may be the only vehicle that they have access to, and it can be very frustrating not being able to get the only vehicle you own out and continue using it.

I do understand on the LEO side, as I've played both crim and LEO actively, that something may come up that requires you to immediately leave the lot after impounding a vehicle, due to a store/bank robbery, shots fired, and stuff of that nature.

My suggestion as a compromise would be having a sort of semi-automated system. Where once you ring the bell, the officer can remotely check with the MDC if you have any warrants, if your license is suspended, and whatever else they may need to check. Then once all the requirements are met, the officer can then release the car remotely.

23 hours ago, SquirtleSquad said:

Here's the thing about all this automated suggestions and such. They require dev work. They take time to build, and it can be delivered broken. If it were to be explored, it'd be a while for it to be integrated.

Its not groundwork, tho. It would be a code very similar to the one already used by Mors. vehicles are inaccessible to owners, Require money to become accessible again. seems like a patch job to me. not something that would require much dev work. Stop me if i'm wrong...

To my untrained eye it seems like the QoL improvement vs the time to implement would be beneficial. 

Edited by Quietthecutie

11 minutes ago, Quietthecutie said:

Its not groundwork, tho. It would be a code very similar to the one already used by Mors. vehicles are inaccessible to owners, Require money to become accessible again. seems like a patch job to me. not something that would require much dev work. Stop me if i'm wrong...

To my untrained eye it seems like the QoL improvement vs the time to implement would be beneficial. 

The way to integrate it requires a lot of checks needed however, so it won't be as easy as select, ctrl + c, ctrl + v and change a couple of variables

9 minutes ago, SquirtleSquad said:

The way to integrate it requires a lot of checks needed however, so it won't be as easy as select, ctrl + c, ctrl + v and change a couple of variables

i'm not saying its a copy paste job, but i would imagine a lot of existing code could be repurposed. as i said, the QoL vs effort to implement seems heavily to the good, unlike some of the more outlandish suggestions you get on the forums. if you have anything solid to the contrary, id love to hear it. it appears we agree that it would be a good change to the server, and this is a place to suggest such things.

1 hour ago, Quietthecutie said:

i'm not saying its a copy paste job, but i would imagine a lot of existing code could be repurposed. as i said, the QoL vs effort to implement seems heavily to the good, unlike some of the more outlandish suggestions you get on the forums. if you have anything solid to the contrary, id love to hear it. it appears we agree that it would be a good change to the server, and this is a place to suggest such things.

Absolutely, as long as X, Y, and Z passes the checks in game, go for it in regards of implementing automation! I just hope it is relatively trivial to integrate.

Two birds with one stone, Make it a freelance job to unimpound cars. But also bring a /payfine machine there so people can pay their citations easily without wasting anyone’s time. People forget its a game and sitting waiting for 40 minutes just to be told you have 1 citation go pay it, then sometimes waiting that other 30 minuted(some players are cool and wait, others not so much)

I agree with Bala, it is a big part of LEO RP especially with paperwork and such, hell it was literally all I did to get a promotion at one point, but I think there are a few good options to explore-

1. As I said, freelance job! When nobody is in the job like the toll booth, make it like the mors menu!

2. Cut out the middle man, make it like the mors menu and have the stipulations your license needs to be valid and you’re not wanted.

3. And this is a hot take… leave it as is, and just don’t get your car impounded🤷🏻‍♂️