GoudaNough

Report Baiting/Rule Playing

Hello, I normally try to stick away from the more, negative sides of eclipse as to me it is like a second home and I have loved all my time here. However I feel like this is something that greatly needs to be addressed. People have started getting way to comfortable going to a public place and shit talking trying to get reactions out of people just to report. Personally I believe them going to a public place around people they do not know and shit talking to be Fail RP in the first place. However even if it isn't and you disagree I don't know how why people would do that and not expect to be harmed in any way. The amount of people starting shit at the pier and then that go into /ooc complaining about how you react to it has gotten sickening. I think a lot of this is due to how vague the DM rule has been setup to be. For me personally and the character I have created Evan Haze, I feel like being rude/border line gross towards one of my family members should be enough for DM. However that has not stopped people from constantly complaining when I go and end up stabbing or handling them for their actions. Really just would like to see this obvious report bating get handled and see higher quality RP at the pier than people walking around going "damn your pussy stinks" to random people they have never talked to. I love the vast majority of the community of ECRP however I feel like rewarding these people for their horrible roleplay and punishing people for being tired of it will greatly hurt the server. So I felt like it was necessary to finally bring it up to start a discussion in a formal matter. Thank you.

Edited by GoudaNough
  • Like 3

This is an incredible point due to certain groups and individuals that just start talking shit and acting crazy. Surely being harassed should promote the right to shoot, yet when the shooting starts the people pushing for reactions go report. It's ridiculous and doesn't make sense how people can get away with it.

On 5/28/2023 at 1:31 AM, GoudaNough said:

Hello, I normally try to stick away from the more, negative sides of eclipse as to me it is like a second home and I have loved all my time here. However I feel like this is something that greatly needs to be addressed. People have started getting way to comfortable going to a public place and shit talking trying to get reactions out of people just to report. Personally I believe them going to a public place around people they do not know and shit talking to be Fail RP in the first place. However even if it isn't and you disagree I don't know how why people would do that and not expect to be harmed in any way. The amount of people starting shit at the pier and then that go into /ooc complaining about how you react to it has gotten sickening. I think a lot of this is due to how vague the DM rule has been setup to be. For me personally and the character I have created Evan Haze, I feel like being rude/border line gross towards one of my family members should be enough for DM. However that has not stopped people from constantly complaining when I go and end up stabbing or handling them for their actions. Really just would like to see this obvious report bating get handled and see higher quality RP at the pier than people walking around going "damn your pussy stinks" to random people they have never talked to. I love the vast majority of the community of ECRP however I feel like rewarding these people for their horrible roleplay and punishing people for being tired of it will greatly hurt the server. So I felt like it was necessary to finally bring it up to start a discussion in a formal matter. Thank you.

They either bait DM rights by insulting you, expecting a reaction that would allow them to  fight and then loot you (while their inventory is practically empty) or bait a report if you go straight for retaliation. A lot of trolls or people that are here only for fights and PVP do that.

Edited by TheCactus

I personally think there should be a separation/clarification within DM between just attacking someone and killing them. For example, if someone constantly talks trash and it escalates to the point of pissing off your character, then you should have the right to swing on them and maybe knock them out, but not kill them. I don't think the average person would pull out a gun and just start poppin off just cuz of some trash talk at the pier to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

I personally think there should be a separation/clarification within DM between just attacking someone and killing them. For example, if someone constantly talks trash and it escalates to the point of pissing off your character, then you should have the right to swing on them and maybe knock them out, but not kill them. I don't think the average person would pull out a gun and just start poppin off just cuz of some trash talk at the pier to be honest. 

We differentiate between attacking, injuring, and killing when taking escalation into account. Injuring someone in a fist fight may make sense in a situation's context where full killing them wouldn't.

30 minutes ago, jason said:

We differentiate between attacking, injuring, and killing when taking escalation into account. Injuring someone in a fist fight may make sense in a situation's context where full killing them wouldn't.

dm rule is in the shittest spot i've ever seen atm, its just bait demands so you can shoot them as you know they won't shoot you. people have 0 fear when they get pulled on because they know they can just drive away. people will wait for you to hit their car etc and just gun you down. idk why it got changed in the first place. as much as you can do different things with it now, there is no clear structure to show what is and what isn't DM. its all opinion based which is just stupid.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 13

On 5/30/2023 at 10:12 AM, hrxvey said:

dm rule is in the shittest spot i've ever seen atm, its just bait demands so you can shoot them as you know they won't shoot you. people have 0 fear when they get pulled on because they know they can just drive away. people will wait for you to hit their car etc and just gun you down. idk why it got changed in the first place. as much as you can do different things with it now, there is no clear structure to show what is and what isn't DM. its all opinion based which is just stupid.

+1

Not only that but... while the average person would not just gun someone down at the pier, the average person would also not walk up to someone they don't know and immediately start shit for literally no reason. I have NEVER had someone IRL come up and say things to me that people feel that can say in game because the DM rule states you cannot DM  someone just for shit-talking. It makes no sense and gives people the freedom to feel like they can walk up to whomever and say whatever because the DM rule protects them. How is that realistic, improving the RP of the server, or fostering a place for people to RP enjoyably?

• YAY 1

13 hours ago, Buggs said:

+1

Not only that but... while the average person would not just gun someone down at the pier, the average person would also not walk up to someone they don't know and immediately start shit for literally no reason. I have NEVER had someone IRL come up and say things to me that people feel that can say in game because the DM rule states you cannot DM  someone just for shit-talking. It makes no sense and gives people the freedom to feel like they can walk up to whomever and say whatever because the DM rule protects them. How is that realistic, improving the RP of the server, or fostering a place for people to RP enjoyably?

You can start a fight with someone over shit-talk. This is the basis of escalation and interaction. Escalate accordingly. Someone talking shit? Talk shit back. Keeps going? Punch them in the mouth. They pull out a weapon? So do you. What you're describing is ruleplaying and is not allowed. "DM" isn't just shooting and killing, broaden your gameplay.

Use escalation and interaction. Talking shit alone isn't worth pulling out a gun and shooting someone in the street in most contexts, but it's absolutely worth escalating within reason to something like a fist fight.

• Upvote 1

On 6/1/2023 at 2:50 AM, jason said:

You can start a fight with someone over shit-talk. This is the basis of escalation and interaction. Escalate accordingly. Someone talking shit? Talk shit back. Keeps going? Punch them in the mouth. They pull out a weapon? So do you. What you're describing is ruleplaying and is not allowed. "DM" isn't just shooting and killing, broaden your gameplay.

Use escalation and interaction. Talking shit alone isn't worth pulling out a gun and shooting someone in the street in most contexts, but it's absolutely worth escalating within reason to something like a fist fight.

I agree with this, progression, however I also just see it as very poor RP for your entire RP to just be going to public places and talking shit. Just in the interest of getting someone to react so you can have your 5 friends gun them down. On top of this in real life you would never do this, I don't really care who you are you never know who your dealing with. It vastly shows a lack of care for your life. I am tired of seeing low quality RP consistently getting rewarded. I guess that's where I'm at more than anything, tired of rules being in a place that can be abused to promote low quality RP, and will turn newer players away.

Edited by GoudaNough

As far as I'm concerned, this has now been happening for about 3-4 weeks by the same people and all they do is cause chaos until someone reacts so they can all join in the fight. It's poor rp and now getting to the point of being boring as its practically everyday this happens. I would kinda just say its NRP with how little roleplay they do just to get a reaction. 

On 6/7/2023 at 3:47 PM, GoudaNough said:

I agree with this, progression, however I also just see it as very poor RP for your entire RP to just be going to public places and talking shit. Just in the interest of getting someone to react so you can have your 5 friends gun them down. On top of this in real life you would never do this, I don't really care who you are you never know who your dealing with. It vastly shows a lack of care for your life. I am tired of seeing low quality RP consistently getting rewarded. I guess that's where I'm at more than anything, tired of rules being in a place that can be abused to promote low quality RP, and will turn newer players away.

The described behavior is not permitted per our rules and you can punish them IC in the way I described in my initial response if you wish to stay out of reports.

ERsZVO6xc_Pa.png

For me, I stay away from a lot of shooting stuff because I don't understand it. There are times where I REALLY, REALLY wanna kill someone because they are picking on my friends and shit talking or my character just feels scared, but the thing is, I can't understand what is DM and what isn't. There is no training, I am not sure where to go to ask questions, I am not sure when I can pull my gun. Someone started stabbing my friends and I wanted to shoot him, but I did not know if I could or not because he wasn't attacking me. I find the DM rule too vague. As someone who has trouble understanding rules and can't see the grey due to disabilities, I cannot tell when I can and can't shoot. I also find the whole "you can get permanently banned for literally anything you do" a bit restrictive since there is no way to ask questions and no one to train new players or whatever is necessary for them. If someone joins a server who has never RP'd in their life, they should be able to ask admin questions or be trained at least a little bit or something or be able to be placed in a spot where they can just figured out the server's emotes and animations and learn which ones they like and want to use.

I think if you want higher quality rp, then staff needs to train players or allow some way to get a Q/A response. This way, players can know when and when they can't do something. Then during training, they should tell players to act out and rp and then the admin will tell them what was against the rules and what they should have done and help them do better RP. I would feel A HELLUVA lot lot more comfortable with shooting if I knew specifically what was realistic and what wasn't. I also feel like eclipse is a bit hyper realistic with the DM rules. The whole "you cant shoot at someone in a moving vehicle" is kinda vague because that means I can't shoot to get my vehicle back and I have to let him steal it even if I see him drive off. I think the rules need better and clearer examples that are separate scenarios of what is and isnt breaking the rules.

Edited by Silent_Waves
Suggestion and stuff to not reply a second time.