Buggs

Changing IC and OOC Interactions

Honestly, in the years that I've been playing ECRP, my characters have dealt with a lot of ups and down. They've been tortured, robbed, forced to do others bidding at gun point, cursed at excessively, etc. etc. Not once in all those times were my characters ever told to "go kill yourself". I thought it was almost an unspoken rule or against the rules. However, today for the first time it happened to my character. Call me sensitive, but I think this should require OOC consent to say to someone. Thoughts?

7. IC and OOC Interactions

Offensive Language, Sexual, Torture, or Disgusting Roleplay

Players are only allowed to engage in sexual, torture, or disgusting roleplay if all players involved including witnesses give prior OOC consent. Such roleplay should therefore not be held in public areas or areas where players commonly visit, e.g., prison/jail.

Usage of ethnic and/or LGBT+ related slurs is considered disgusting roleplay and all parties involved must give prior OOC consent before it can be done. In addition, it must make roleplay sense for your character to want to use any racial slurs In Character.

Racism Out-of-Character is strictly forbidden. 

Players using offensive language excessively In-Character through text or VOIP must stop if a player asks for it Out-of-Character. Players are not permitted to use offensive language Out-of-Character to others.

PzJWQVX.png Punishment: Anything from a warning to a permanent ban, depending on the context, severity, and occurrences.
  • Like 1

In my opinion it should be allowed but only in certain circumstances. Some players say "kill yourself" and even imply that you should do it in real life. Some say it in every interaction you have with them, no matter how pleasant it may be, and they say it more than once or spam it. I believe it should be something you would say only in heated arguments.
A recent report has been ruled as OOC toxicity for saying "kill yourself" + something that made it sound like they intended in real life. I agree with the ruling of the report as the intention was to insult the player OOCly through IC voip.
I don't think someone should be punished for saying "kill yourself" especially if it's during an arrest or an argument. However, if the player spams it (and it happens a lot) or goes out of their way to make it an OOC insult, just like in the report, it should be seen as OOC behavior/toxicity.

Edited by TheCactus

I can completely understand that words, whilst mostly not intended to be offensive on an OOC level, can be. However, I feel limiting players further on what they can and can't say isn't the way to go about it.
It should be noted however, it very clearly states in our rules "Players using offensive language excessively In-Character through text or VOIP must stop if a player asks for it Out-of-Character." - I think making players more aware of this section is important. I have personally asked someone to stop using certain phrases or languages in an interaction because i found it highly offensive, 99% of the time, they are understanding and stop.

-1 it may be offensive to some but it is not targeting any minority groups or calling for racism or discrimination i believe this is totally the wrong way to be going about this  yet banning more things to say further limiting players speech
the only words i believe should be an offence is anything against twitch TOS as it would make content creation very risky

Edited by Curtins
  • Like 1

-1 as well.

Unless ECRP is the first video game you have played, you probably have been told to kill yourself numerous times on other video games (any FPS ever). I think it doesn't and shouldn't hold any weight behind it and like someone said, it isn't hate speech. 

Banning the term is just going to lead to unnecessary admin punishments.

18 minutes ago, DerekDeRose said:

Getting punishment/warning for saying n-word once is bullshit. You can't make everyone happy, people have been reported for saying 'retard' word as well. Let the game be like game! Would love to see some adjustment in this rule.

Honestly I'd be okay with things like that being allowed. The fact that in 3 years I've NEVER once had someone tell me to "go kill yourself" nor have I heard other people say it in general speaks to the fact that people don't NEED to say it nor do they use it, so making it gross RP to say would not be limiting people.

You never know what someone is dealing with OOCly and people have their fair share of mental issues both RP'd and OOCly. Telling someone to go kill themselves even ICly should not be allowed as you never know if that's the straw that breaks the camels back.

The idea that people are not okay with saying the "n" word or the "r" word or "f" word but telling someone to permanently end their life is a-okay.

If someone kills themselves they can't come back from that. You can come back from hearing the "n" word.

Edited by Buggs

8 minutes ago, Buggs said:

The fact that in 3 years I've NEVER once had someone tell me to "go kill yourself" nor have I heard other people say it in general speaks to the fact that people don't NEED to say it nor do they use it, so making it gross RP to say would not be limiting people.

Get into crim side, you will start hearing this more than often. If you have played on ecrp as crim and haven't heard these things even once then you must be lowkey criminal. 🙂

6 minutes ago, DerekDeRose said:

Get into crim side, you will start hearing this more than often. If you have played on ecrp as crim and haven't heard these things even once then you must be lowkey criminal. 🙂

I have played a crim for most of the time I've been on ECRP... but either way lol The point still stands... like it's a permanent thing you're telling someone to do... I can survive someone shaving my head and trash talking like it's an Xbox multiplayer lobby... but like if the wrong person hears it they may not survive.

Edited by Buggs

Hello,

To quote the rule that you posted; "Players using offensive language excessively In-Character through text or VOIP must stop if a player asks for it Out-of-Character. Players are not permitted to use offensive language Out-of-Character to others." Essentially, if you are uncomfortable with someone saying such a thing to you, you can request that they do not do that via OOC chat. If they continue, you may create a report for staff to handle.

Archived.