Mortimer Hauch

Realistic police radar gun implementation

Per this report, it appears that the current implementation for speeding detection is via an autonomous scripting that "is limited in range and angle of detection/reading", which per the video appears to be unrealistically fast and accurate in its autonomous gathering of the report.

I'm confused as to how this is expected to be implemented on the car itself ICly.
Are they automatically active whenever the car is powered, with no RP action to enable them?  
Are the radars 360 degrees, and accurate enough to generate reads within split seconds? 

In any case, I propose that there be an actual (realistic) radar gun model that requires the police to aim it at cars to detect their speed, like you would aim a pistol out of the car, rather than the current autonomous (unrealistic actually is realistic per AtlasOLimbo's comment below) automatic detection within a specific range and angle. 

I'm suggesting this as it appears the police currently are driving around with an autonomous system that doesn't require active player input, which provides opportunistic actions that otherwise wouldn't have been achievable. In the report, the policeman himself stated he was performing a different action (bank robbery investigation) and seems to not have been actively seeking speeding offenders.

I can't think of any similar automated system that civs or crims have access to that benefits their RP in such a way; even dashcams require multiple /do's to pull footage off, and I'm sure those parties are held to the same RP standards would they have access to something like this (i.e. RPly turning on a dashcam, /do to download the footage to make it usuable in the IC scenario).

Edited by Mortimer Hauch
black bit

The use the radar has in its scripted form goes way above any normal function it would have IRL this clip was posted to fashion and it shows the officer getting the plates of 5 different vehicles just by being in the vicinity which realistically makes 0 sense as they are getting plates from vehicles from the front when the plates are in the back. Also they are able to click the plate so it saves in the chat log for later use, so essentially they can "remember" 5 different license plates in seconds.

https://streamable.com/962j00

The radar gun needs limitations on how its used

• Upvote 3

Yeah I agree with @XeV on this. Adding onto it, you can press one button to pull up the entire record of the R/O of the vehicle almost instantly. It makes no sense to be able to do that as realistically, you would have to take the plate from the scanner and type it into the MDC manually to check the R/O's record, etc. By having the MDC open up instantly as soon as a plate is scanned, it makes it so much easier for LEO to know who is wanted / has tickets vs how it is IRL as you can lookup someone's record going 200 past you and pull them over for an outstanding felony because the record came up instantly, even though it would have taken 10-15 second to run the plate in the MDC and by that time, the individual is gone.  Rehauling the whole MDC / Radar gun to make it more realistic and harder for LEO to just go around and instantly running people's background is overdue, as the whole system is very out of date (MDC hasnt changed since 2017 i believe).

• Upvote 1

-1 for the OPs suggestion, in the video you posted, modern police radars would absolutely catch you in a similar way the officer did, I suggest doing some independent research on the matter or taking a look at the links @AtlasOLimbo posted.

As for general improvement to the mini-MDC, I'm all for that, especially if it involves added realism, I just don't think people on here realize how much of an opposite effect that would have. In other words, it would make it easier for PD/SD to have realistic radar and plate readers...not harder.

A new mini-MDC script should include the following if realism is the objective:

- Rear and Front Radars (at the moment we only have front radar with limited distance)

- Extended Distance where vehicles on opposite lanes of travel on long roads (highways) are able to be captured (just like IRL)

- Automatic Text Print of vehicle information to chat instead of having to open the mini-MDC (this would make it easier to call out traffic stops instead of having to memorize the info before the radio call out or doing a common workaround to talk on radio while keeping the MDC open)

- Automatic Plate Reader where vehicles are scanned as cruisers patrol and a warning is given if someone has a suspended license, a warrant, the vehicle is stolen, etc... (Source: https://youtu.be/COBClFEQQJk)

- Ability to add notes on vehicle and player records so other units can be informed if vehicles are commonly being used in crimes, warnings given, etc...

I'm sure there is more stuff I am missing, but these would be some of the top improvements that can be made

I highly suggest we deviate from realism if the intent of OPs suggestion and other repliers is to promote some sort of ''fairness'' from a game stand point, this is not an area you will ''win'' on.

• Like 1
  • NAY 2

I think the main thing that should be taken into account is removing the multi-targeting of the current MDC. I am guilty of this myself where I'd go to an area like the pier and sit on an angle that would give me every plate and just go through all of them with a couple button presses. Being able to lock speed/plate would be great, but only for 1 front and 1 rear at a time at most. Plate scanning should also be separated from speed scanning due to the vastly different ways these technologies operate and one having a much shorter throw than the other.

• Like 1

I highly suggest we deviate from realism if the intent of OPs suggestion and other repliers is to promote some sort of ''fairness'' from a game stand point, this is not an area you will ''win'' on.

What is wrong with making something fair so that everyone has more fun even if it is unrealistic or whatever?? Its a game after all but I guess some think it isnt!

37 minutes ago, equ1nox_ said:

What is wrong with making something fair so that everyone has more fun even if it is unrealistic or whatever?? Its a game after all but I guess some think it isnt!

I agree with you that not everything needs to be based on realism! That's why I'm saying that arguments for parts of police radar being changed should be made coming from a point of view of increasing fun and not realism. A suggestion based on realism, as implied by OP will hurt your argument, not help it.

• Like 1

I agree with many of the previous points. 

In my opinion, the speed radar and the plate scanner should be distinctively separated from each other, as they are IRL. A radar cannot and should not give you any information about the vehicle, whether that's plate or model or anything of that nature, this would be a different system.

Automatic plate readers do exist IRL, and whilst not all cop cars are realistically equipped with the ANPR system, many do and it is not really feasible for any sort of LEO roleplay to have to manually type the plate into the MDC from a video game perspective, especially considering they are incredibly hard to see.

It is important to say that ANPR, to my knowledge, does not work instantly in any case. It would not be able to automatically detect the plate of a vehicle travelling past at 240 kph. The vehicle that is to be scanned would need to remain in vision of the various cameras that are mounted on the vehicle for a time before the system is able to search the plate through the database and return with various results, including any potential flags for warrants on the registered owner, vehicles marked stolen, driver license status etc. 

I think a system like this would be realistic AND fairly balanced, perhaps more balanced than the system we have right now where the mini MDC can instantly show you the plate, model AND speed of multiple vehicles at the same time.

• Like 1

+1 ^^^. A system that is described by DoTo would be awesome imo. It is faily realistic and is balanced, giving both crims a chance at getting away while also not making the equipment LEOs would have completely useless in various situations. Both systems being separated is important.

Automatic plate readers SHOULD be a thing, but what I meant was not having a single button to run the plate when it is detected by the radar, but have it so the LEO would need to type it into the MDC manually after it is scanned. A better option would be to just have a "database search" delay where it takes a couple of seconds to get all the info before it pops up in the MDC. This means that unless there is a BOLO / R/O has outstanding warrants, there is no need to run the plate in the MDC manually, as the ANPR described above would alert if there are any issues.

50 minutes ago, DoTo said:

It is important to say that ANPR, to my knowledge, does not work instantly in any case. It would not be able to automatically detect the plate of a vehicle travelling past at 240 kph. The vehicle that is to be scanned would need to remain in vision of the various cameras that are mounted on the vehicle for a time before the system is able to search the plate through the database and return with various results, including any potential flags for warrants on the registered owner, vehicles marked stolen, driver license status etc. 

This is great and will avoid situations like the one described by the OP as the plate was visible for a very short amount of time and realistically it would be impossible for any system to scan the plate in such a small amount of time, BUT, the speed radar would have clocked the vehicle as it drove past. This can provide an opportunity for the vehicle to not pull over and evade meaning that if the LEO didnt catch up in time, they wouldnt have a plate. This balances everything out and gives crims better chances of getting away (as their vehicle wont get BOLO'ed with a plate, just a description) but also doesnt make LEOs useless in these situations, requiring more skill to be successful.

Overall, splitting the 2 systems up sounds like a great idea and I really hope this gets looked into further.

You operating your vehicles constantly at 200 kmh+ is probably not realistic so if you don’t drive so fast, there isn’t going to be any opportunity for the mini MDC to catch you when it shouldn’t be.

After all, we care about realism right?

I think we established that having a more fair and fun envoirment for everyone is the way to go! 

But if we wanna go that way, is it realistic that there are no cars on the road except player cars or that every other car on the road is an LEO? 

Going 200 would be very difficult if there were AI cars, just try in story mode.

The vehicles I utilize cannot even reach 200 km+. Once again coming from a standpoint from someone who's played both criminal and LEO characters, as has @equ1nox_. I don't know why this is becoming a case of "well you do X anyways." That's not what's being discussed. Comparing doubters in the mini MDC and its fairness to flat earthers is ad hominem at best and does not provoke thoughtful discussion. 

There's reasons why people constantly complain that LEOs are "overpowered". And while I think most concerns are invalid, there is definitely places that could be looked at and discussed in a thoughtful manner which haven't been touched in anyway as the server's evolved and shifted, such as the mini MDC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bala said:

It’s not a thoughtful discussion, it’s crims complaining about cop stuff for the sake of it. 

You know why the Mini MDC has not been touched since Moses came down off the mountain with the Commandments? Because there is no need. 

This implies it makes sense to drive to the burgershot entrance, open your Mini MDC, and have the ability to scan 10 different plates that aren’t facing you, are being blocked by other vehicles, or might not even have a plate. 

Coming from another person who’s done both LEO and Crim, the mini MDC needs work. As stated above, you should be able to lock a vehicles top speed and it’s plate. I personally think it should only run one plate at a time. As for vehicles that don’t even have plates, e.g. the trophy truck, bicycles, etc. it should return NO info on the vehicle other than speed. This promotes RP through making the officer run an RPly obtained VIN number.

Bala, you’re not being constructive by calling a whole thread “crims complaining” and comparing them to flat Earthers. If you’re going to respond, defend your argument to promote genuine discussion instead.

13 minutes ago, vexanxd said:

As for vehicles that don’t even have plates, e.g. the trophy truck, bicycles, etc. it should return NO info on the vehicle other than speed. This promotes RP through making the officer run an RPly obtained VIN number.

This is ok in theory, but the IC consequence would be that these vehicles would never be road worthy vehicles and would likely be impounded every time they are spotted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cyrus Raven said:

This is ok in theory, but the IC consequence would be that these vehicles would never be road worthy vehicles and would likely be impounded every time they are spotted.

yah exactly, I never really complained about certain vehicles such as BF400, BMX, trophy trucks that just do not have a plate AT ALL, I am ok with them being ran, but this ability to scan every plate in a proximity of the vehicle no matter which way the vehicle is facing or where it is, needs work. Some cars like the Paragon for example only has a back plate, so if say your hiding from police just back as close to a wall as possible to avoid getting your plate ran, and if a cop wants your plate they either wait for that paragon to leave or get out the car on foot and try to see it with first person or something. All I am saying is you do not need to rework the script just rework HOW it is used and monitor who is using it incorrectly and punish accordinally.

The flat earth comment is simply to highlight how silly some of these opinions are. 
The only thing wrong with the Mini MDC is that sometimes the exact number can fluctuate a couple KM/H. That's literally it.

Civilians ain't going to drive realistic speeds so why is a mini MDC picking up a car going 200 km/h so unreasonable?

People champion for realism when it suits them. 

3 minutes ago, Bala said:

The flat earth comment is simply to highlight how silly some of these opinions are. 
The only thing wrong with the Mini MDC is that sometimes the exact number can fluctuate a couple KM/H. That's literally it.

Civilians ain't going to drive realistic speeds so why is a mini MDC picking up a car going 200 km/h so unreasonable?

People champion for realism when it suits them. 

"People Champion for realism when it suits them" might be the most 100% truth thing I have ever heard. 

In  terms of reading multiple plates , the modern anpr fitted police vehicles do just that . It tells them the R/O if it’s taxed , MOT , insured or  known for criminal activities .  They are also fitted with camera in the back and both sides of the vehicle hence being able to clock multiple plates from multiple angles 

21 hours ago, vexanxd said:

Bala, you’re not being constructive by calling a whole thread “crims complaining” and comparing them to flat Earthers. If you’re going to respond, defend your argument to promote genuine discussion instead.

+1 to this, presumptions don't promote a positive environment either (OP is a civ)