Destuin

Staff Chat During Reports

With the recent new large uptake of support staff, I feel like we need to put some precedent in place in regards to forum reports. Understandably staff do not want the staff chat being public knowledge, however more often than not now days we are seeing reports where the POV is simply never posted and just sent privately to the admin solving the report. I really feel this is not in the spirit of the report, and makes it harder for people to defend themselves, as well as for people reading reports trying to understand the admins decisions on certain rules/rulings. If I am being honest I chalk it down to laziness. It takes a few minutes to either blur or black out the chat box so it is not readable, and this is just part of being a staff member.  

Overall, I agree with you and another system could be implemented but I have no idea's to what. However, It is not down to laziness from anybody. Where the chatbox is used for multiple things that include Text-Chat and /me & /do's, covering these during reports would bring up more confusion than it is worth IMO.
I'm confused how it makes it harder to defend yourself? If the person has not broken a rule the POV's would show this, regardless if it is posted publicly.

10 minutes ago, Jayyy said:

Overall, I agree with you and another system could be implemented but I have no idea's to what. However, It is not down to laziness from anybody. Where the chatbox is used for multiple things that include Text-Chat and /me & /do's, covering these during reports would bring up more confusion than it is worth IMO.
I'm confused how it makes it harder to defend yourself? If the person has not broken a rule the POV's would show this, regardless if it is posted publicly.

You are definitely right in regards to /me's and /do's, but the unedited version could easily be forwarded to the staff member. In regards to making it harder to defend yourself, a lot of these situations are down to people analysing the POV's and discussing certain things that went on (see the linked report below). Also there has been a couple of reports recently in regards to gang HQ's and DM's and large numbers of people etc etc. Seeing the full POV helps the players understand this, and see how the rules have changed/how admins are perceiving the new DM rule. There was a recent report with Royals and Lost MC. Seeing the full POV of this situation and the admin explanation, greatly helped my ability in seeing and understanding the new rule changes in action.  

I have just linked this purely as an example of what I mean. The POV's posted here have been analysed by the defending parties as to justify there actions based off of the timings stated by the various reporting members etc. If you look into this report aswell, you will see how the staff chat box has also been blocked. This looks like it took a matter of 30 seconds to do. If these POV's had been hidden, it would have been a lot harder for the defending parties to make there case. I think if clappers can do it for there montages, then surely our staff can do it for reports.

I agree it's not much effort to make a censored and uncensored version personally.
However for a bunch of people it's just un-needed effort since most of the time you shouldn't need to see their pov to remember what you did, especially if you have pov of your own. And also not everyone is technically proficient enough to make a censored version.

Feel free to put a few examples of how to censor chat easily and i'll make it available to support as knowledge of a editing software is pretty much needed as youtube blur feature is scuffed.

8 minutes ago, DrPathetic said:

I agree it's not much effort to make a censored and uncensored version personally.
However for a bunch of people it's just un-needed effort since most of the time you shouldn't need to see their pov to remember what you did, especially if you have pov of your own. And also not everyone is technically proficient enough to make a censored version.

Feel free to put a few examples of how to censor chat easily and i'll make it available to support as knowledge of a editing software is pretty much needed as youtube blur feature is scuffed.

Not sure how the youtube blur is scuffed? Just did this in less than a minute. It runs for the whole video in that same position, in the top corner.

unblur.png

blur.png

I cannot speak for everyone, so I will only speak for myself.

90% of the time my reports are during a stream. I used to include the video as I didn't see anything wrong with it. However, I have been doxxed, banned once on twitch and been forced to change my name. The timelines all coincide with a report I have written and it is just plain aggravating to be personally attacked for simply reporting someone breaking a rule. I always write that my footage will be provided by the staff, but will still post it if staff requests it. I just prefer to keep it private.

You are in my mind, see there's many of us that chill back and review reports to see what's happening in the server, even make our own verdict on who's right or wrong and even in the report against me (which is showcased) it actually matters what people see and when they see it because in the majority we only see what the person reporting sees. 

Honestly I don't believe that the actual staff chat contains such information that it's mendatory to remain secret but as you showed a black screen over it can make the difference so we can see what's actually going on.

3 hours ago, Destuin said:

Not sure how the youtube blur is scuffed

Last I tried it the other week it didn't edit the last frame. I use davinci resolve and it only takes a minute. 

1 hour ago, Papadakis said:

Honestly I don't believe that the actual staff chat contains such information that it's mendatory to remain secret

It's part of the staff master policy that we're not allowed to show staff chat. That also includes incoming reports we see so it's mandatory to either hide it or hand footage over privately. 

The main thing with this argument is from what I've seen, if anything in the footage is referred to its explicitly said in the inquiry by the staff members reviewing. "You can be seen doing X" etc.

• YAY 1

Hello.

At this time we have no intention of updating our policy regarding evidence containing staff chat. Some very valid points have been brought up, however there is no need to change our current policy. Staff chat is something that should never be shared outside of any staff environment and this is a very important aspect of our staff master policy. Videos containing staff chat may end up being beneficial for other players within a report, and staff are more than welcome to provide videos with the staff chat edited out.

We do not intend to make it a requirement for staff to edit their evidence to remove staff chat so they can post publicly. This should not be a real issue, as unedited evidence will be submitted to staff regardless, and they are trusted to make informed, and sensible decisions with the evidence they have. Furthermore, any reports made against support staff are handled by senior staff.

Overall, all reports are going to be handled by trusted staff members who have been given the ability to make such decisions as they have earned it. Reports involving those in staff who have been accused of a rule breach will further be subject to senior admin discretion. This combined with the options for staff to publicly provide video with staff chat edited out as well as the right to appeal should mean this is not a real issue. Thank you.

Archived.