Stew Walker

Early mornings @ Del Perro Pier

Typically every morning before work I log in I like to sit down at the pier and interact with the early birds of the city, as you tend to make more memorable relationships with people when you are secluded. Similarly, you become a more memorable face to city workers in the mornings such as Mechanics, Reporters, and Police. Through this method of socializing I have made some of my fondest relationships from my ambiguous ones with the police to my close knit ones with LSC. It is not unknown that members of Illegal Factions -especially the ones that represent colors- are under constant watch of mobile officers. Often times when I find myself at the Pier early in the mornings, I am forced to interact with Police due to reasons ranging from friendly conversations or unpaid speeding tickets all the way to interrogation. At this time of day especially, it is not unusual for a cop to announce to the Pier that they will be looking for Parking Tickets and all cars will be fined if found absent of one. It is typical that the Pier clears out because nobody, not even off-duty officers themselves, unironically pay for parking at the Pier. 

Although, I don't see a problem with this in itself, I do however see a problem when something like this is acceptable. Grand_Theft_Auto_V_Screenshot_2021.08.14_-_12.52.13.90.png

After having Officer Vince Lawson (Badge 16413) fine me for not paying my parking by going over to my car (/me would search car for available parking ticket) (/do would I find any?) (/do I would not) and then giving me a ticket, without any cooperative role play. Followed by a First Degree Speeding of going 91 KMPH (2 KMPH over limit) after following me out of the pier. This is a clear instance of police having the ability to strong arm civilians through legal/financial means and is bordering on harassment. My character is a "Crim" character and I intentionally do not pay tickets to have more intense moments with police however, in this instance there was none of that.

These scenarios are not covered under IA reports and the officer wasn't breaking any rules. Wanted to make this as clear as I could that officers are responsible for holding immense amount of individual power in the city over all members financially and ones time. This fact is not often abused but when it is can create extreme frustration for the receiving party. 

Just to list off a few things I have been fined for while being at the Pier early hours:

1) Listening to music is my car

2) Parking my car in front of my house in the wrong direction, coming from pier

3) Gone to jail over unpaid 500$ ticket and then followed home and put back in jail for using the incorrect turning lane

I understand if its a joke between a crim and a cop like how I do with some cops but when there is malice behind the charges it seems unnecessary and as if they're impeding fun. 

Would love to hear from the community about similar situations! Stay Safe and Have Fun 🙃

Edited by Stew Walker

57 minutes ago, Stew Walker said:

First Degree Speeding of going 91 KMPH (2 KMPH over limit)

The limit is 80, it's not unreasonable for him to give you a 1st degree speeding ticket.

There is also a parking pay script implemented. I'm not 100 percent sure if the pier has the script but LSPD can run a command to see if the vehicle has a valid parking permit.

There is no malice behind these charges, if the cop in question wants to roleplay like this who are you to question what he does? Not everyone wants to run around and shoot all the time.

• dead 2

Not to turn this into a PD vs Crim, we have enough of those threads (Full disclosure Icly I am PD), but you say "My character is a "Crim" character and I intentionally do not pay tickets to have more intense moments with police however, in this instance there was none of that." I cant go into specifics as this IC, but you don't pay tickets now you are complaining that there are consequences? This server generally tries to have realistic RP. If police see a crime they will act on it. If you don't like something IC, there are various channels you can pursue IC.

This seems like an over-dramatization for what is effectively being fined $500 refusing to pay $100 (or however much it is) for a parking ticket. They're roleplaying as cops who are enforcing laws and if you don't want those minor things happening, then just don't do them since you seem to know what they get you for so it should be easy to avoid?

It is not unknown that members of Illegal Factions -especially the ones that represent colors- are under constant watch of mobile officers.

This is how IRL police function as well. They're a lot less noticed IRL due to the fact that there's a large population in LA and more equipment/CIs to work with.

At this time of day especially, it is not unusual for a cop to announce to the Pier that they will be looking for Parking Tickets and all cars will be fined if found absent of one. It is typical that the Pier clears out because nobody, not even off-duty officers themselves, unironically pay for parking at the Pier. 

Although, I don't see a problem with this in itself, I do however see a problem when something like this is acceptable.
[picture here]

After having Officer Vince Lawson (Badge 16413) fine me for not paying my parking by going over to my car (/me would search car for available parking ticket) (/do would I find any?) (/do I would not) and then giving me a ticket, without any cooperative role play.

This is their job, they're meant to enforce laws and issue citations where necessary. Some cops are more lenient than others and some may even have a positive/negative bias towards some people.

Followed by a First Degree Speeding of going 91 KMPH (2 KMPH over limit) after following me out of the pier. This is a clear instance of police having the ability to strong arm civilians through legal/financial means and is bordering on harassment.

i4yYhmgruT0J.png
The speed cameras have scripted leniency, that doesn't mean the speed limit is what they allow.

These scenarios are not covered under IA reports and the officer wasn't breaking any rules. Wanted to make this as clear as I could that officers are responsible for holding immense amount of individual power in the city over all members financially and ones time. This fact is not often abused but when it is can create extreme frustration for the receiving party.

As said previously, this is their job. When it reaches an unreasonable extent, IA does step in and handle it as necessary.

Overall, almost everything you've listed here falls under their responsibilities or a human bias. If you feel you're being harassed and targeted by one officer in particular, take IC action against it. You can handle it through IA should you be able to gather evidence and prove the bias, handle it through personal interactions with him, or have you and a group of friends deal with it as you see fit (within the rules, of course).

When it reaches an unrealistic extent is when it becomes an OOC issue. If you find that he's acting NOTHING like a police officer would in real life, it may be time to consult the staff team or talk to him one-to-one about it. If he's being corrupt, you can speak with PD command on an OOC level should he not have OOC corruption permissions.

• Like 1
  • hand 1

I hear everything you all are saying and take this stuff into account moving forward :D! I just wanted to make clear that there was not any OOC negativity between either of us and RP was completed as so. Just wanted to make a statement about how server population influence the charges handed out by officers. This was in no way meant to target any character or player.

Thanks to everyone who participated 

Edited by Stew Walker
  • Upvote 1

On 8/14/2021 at 1:34 PM, Stew Walker said:

Typically every morning before work I log in I like to sit down at the pier and interact with the early birds of the city, as you tend to make more memorable relationships with people when you are secluded. Similarly, you become a more memorable face to city workers in the mornings such as Mechanics, Reporters, and Police. Through this method of socializing I have made some of my fondest relationships from my ambiguous ones with the police to my close knit ones with LSC. It is not unknown that members of Illegal Factions -especially the ones that represent colors- are under constant watch of mobile officers.

Imagine, cops wanting to keep an eye on criminal organisations that make themselves very clearly identifiable by what they wear.

Often times when I find myself at the Pier early in the mornings, I am forced to interact with Police due to reasons ranging from friendly conversations or unpaid speeding tickets all the way to interrogation. At this time of day especially, it is not unusual for a cop to announce to the Pier that they will be looking for Parking Tickets and all cars will be fined if found absent of one. It is typical that the Pier clears out because nobody, not even off-duty officers themselves, unironically pay for parking at the Pier. 

"forced to interact" -- It's a roleplay server? Isn't interaction the whole point?

As for announcing to the Pier that they are looking for parking tickets, they are doing so rather than just ticketing you for not having parking pay on your vehicle. They're giving you the chance to get out of a ticket. As for whether or not it clears people out is irrelevant, it's the law? If off duty officers aren't paying for their parking, they're liable for tickets and towing same as you.

Although, I don't see a problem with this in itself, I do however see a problem when something like this is acceptable. Grand_Theft_Auto_V_Screenshot_2021.08.14_-_12.52.13.90.png

I have two problems with this. One, someone from the police department decided it would be a good idea to send you this screenshot and two, that you are posting this on an OOC discussion about something that happened IC.

After having Officer Vince Lawson (Badge 16413) fine me for not paying my parking by going over to my car (/me would search car for available parking ticket) (/do would I find any?) (/do I would not) and then giving me a ticket, without any cooperative role play.

Not any different to doing checking the parking permit with the command. That doesn't require any co-operative role-play because sometimes the owner isn't even around to answer. Again though, publicly outting the guy and now his badge number is really uncool.

Followed by a First Degree Speeding of going 91 KMPH (2 KMPH over limit) after following me out of the pier. This is a clear instance of police having the ability to strong arm civilians through legal/financial means and is bordering on harassment. My character is a "Crim" character and I intentionally do not pay tickets to have more intense moments with police however, in this instance there was none of that.

The speed limit is 80, not 90. It's 11 over, not 2. But even then, there is a limit for a reason, anything over the limit is something you can be written up for. Doesn't matter if it's 1, 11 or 101 over. This is a clear instance of police following the IC laws. It's also generating role-play for them and you, but you choose to see it as harassment.

You say that you want to make more intense moments but between this and feeling forced to interact, it sounds like you want it to be one way.

These scenarios are not covered under IA reports and the officer wasn't breaking any rules. Wanted to make this as clear as I could that officers are responsible for holding immense amount of individual power in the city over all members financially and ones time. This fact is not often abused but when it is can create extreme frustration for the receiving party. 

Anything an Officer does IC is covered by IA reports, but if it's not a breach of policy then what do you want. Officers are responsible for maintaining the law in the city, so if you are breaking any of the laws, they've got to stop you. If you think that you breaking the law and then getting punished for it is unacceptable, then who is in the wrong?

Just to list off a few things I have been fined for while being at the Pier early hours:

1) Listening to music is my car

2) Parking my car in front of my house in the wrong direction, coming from pier

3) Gone to jail over unpaid 500$ ticket and then followed home and put back in jail for using the incorrect turning lane

1 and 2 sound like either there are details missing or it's very dependent on certain situations.

As for 3, you just said you don't pay tickets for intense moments and that you are a criminal. If you don't pay your tickets, then you go to jail. If there was no consequence to not paying tickets, who would actually pay them. Then if you don't use the correct lane to turn, again you're breaking the law.

I understand if its a joke between a crim and a cop like how I do with some cops but when there is malice behind the charges it seems unnecessary and as if they're impeding fun. Would love to hear from the community about similar situations! Stay Safe and Have Fun 🙃

I've read your entire post and from what you've described, there is no malice involved at all. It's just you being a criminal breaking the law and cops doing their thing by pulling you up on it. 

In actual situations where cops have gone over-board, I'd absolutely support throwing them under the bus. Doesn't matter if we're in the same faction or not, but this all sounds like in-character roleplay to me.

I have to say, I agree with this sentiment, it seems from my POV that PD tends to take into server population and decide to make more arrests/tickets because they know that as many people are on the server. I am not stating opinions on this but rather just voicing how it seems to civ players. Personally, I think the whole tilde player count thing should removed since it allows for far too much meta-gaming.