djnugget

Weapon Amnesty Option

I know in the UK and i imagine many other countries, we have amnesties on certain weapons

this is where people who have these weapons have the chance to hand them in anonymously.

i think we could add an extra layer to it by having a paid amnesty or a running one rather, where people can hand in weapons to the cops and get a cash reimbursement.

For example a regular civilian finds a knife or perhaps a pistol. They should be able to hand these dangerous and illegal items into the police for a small reward. This would help take weapons off  the streets and add extra Civ RP.

The reward would of course be much less than the value of the weapon as bought so not to be abused for profit, but to the person handing it in its 100% profit for doing a good deed

Edited by djnugget

Used to be a thing but it turned into a way for criminals to hand in firearms they'd used for murders and robberies to get some of the cash they used to purchase it back into their pocket.  Or they'd steal a gun from someone, empty all the bullets, and hand that in.  The police department turned into a fence for stolen goods.

And that's no bueno.

Well that's just an invitation for more cop RP maybe have a set team of cops who man the desk (or however they would do it)

this makes the criminal element more likely to be noticed (same people coming with too many weapons too often etc)

Or have it so you can only hand in X amount per Y time.

When I was in PD this was a system for a short time and was stopped for the above reason. 

There is however a simple solution to this, anyone with a criminal record would not be allowed to hand in a weapon and receive a monetary value back. Instead having it confiscated for them and a charge for carrying an unlicensed firearm with a previous record. 

Would be nice to see this added back, but perhaps add it to gun stores instead? That way store owners can set a buy back price for pistols and resell them. Which I find a lot more realistic than the city's police force buying all the guns back at anytime. Random amnesty return intervals from PD that offer a higher reward than a store could perhaps work to balance it out. 

1 minute ago, CallumMontie said:

Random amnesty return intervals from PD that offer a higher reward than a store could perhaps work to balance it out. 

^ this is excellent, i feel that the gun stores idea is a good one and have the PD run special events (with prior notice) where its completely anonymous once or twice in X time period 

15 hours ago, CallumMontie said:

When I was in PD this was a system for a short time and was stopped for the above reason. 

There is however a simple solution to this, anyone with a criminal record would not be allowed to hand in a weapon and receive a monetary value back. Instead having it confiscated for them and a charge for carrying an unlicensed firearm with a previous record. 

Would be nice to see this added back, but perhaps add it to gun stores instead? That way store owners can set a buy back price for pistols and resell them. Which I find a lot more realistic than the city's police force buying all the guns back at anytime. Random amnesty return intervals from PD that offer a higher reward than a store could perhaps work to balance it out. 

IMO there would still rampantly be people acting as fence to sell guns that gangs receive to the cops. I do not believe this should be an option for removing guns from the game. I'm down for unpaid amnesty but not paid.

As mentioned above, this used to be a feature back in April/May. The whole point with it was so that people could anonymously bring in weapons. This resulted into gangs coming in with multiple stolen weapons and cashing them in. The system was abused and due to that, and that we paid everyone, the system got taken down. 

I would not be against it's return, however there would need to be some new "regulations" to it so  that it won't get "abused". Also removing the anonymity ruins the thing, as the main catch was : "No questions asked". 

Bringing the system to gun stores is another thing, while this would not really bring any rp, more just a new script way to make money. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.