MonikerOne

Creating a better RP environment for all

In this post I will be tackling many topics including topics that I'm sure people have discussed about many times. This will be a long one so please reply with something useful!

The first thing I would like to discuss is the current way that the Deathmatching(DM)/Fear Roleplay(FRP) rules are worded, how that effects roleplay, and how to potentially change the wording.  

13. Fear Roleplay (FRP)

• Fear roleplay is the concept of roleplaying fear for your character’s safety and life.

• Examples (but not limited to), where your character’s life is considered to be in direct danger:

• When you are on foot or bike and a weapon is aimed at you at close range.

• When you’re in a vehicle that is stalled or turned off and a weapon is aimed at you close range.

• When the attacker lowers their weapon to type or roleplay, your life remains in direct danger.

• Driving a vehicle in an active shootout more than once without the intent of protecting a friend, fleeing with it, or using it as cover.

• Examples (but not limited to), where your character’s life is NOT considered to be in direct danger:

• When you are in a car which engine is not stalled.

• When you have a firearm drawn and are facing the other person before they attacked.

• When the attacker’s view is obstructed by an object or when they turn their back on you.

• As a victim, whose life is in direct danger:

• You must display reasonable value for your life and comply with the demands of your attacker.

• You cannot call 911 or call your friends or allies to aid you.

14. Deathmatch (DM)

• Deathmatching is the act of attacking a player or their property without a proper roleplay reason.

• Examples of valid reasons to attack another player:

• If they attempt to arrest or hurt you, an ally, or damage your property.

• If they report you to the police for a serious crime.

• If they are not in compliance with demands, attempt to escape, or call other players for help in a situation where they are required to display fear under fear roleplay rules.

• A player cannot kill their victim if the victim is in compliance with the demands.

• A player must allow their victim enough time to comply with the demands.

• If a player informs you that your VOIP isn’t working, you must either fix your VOIP using appropriate commands or use text to deliver your demand(s).

• Vehicles cannot be used to attack another player more than once including a failed attempt.

• Attacking another player with no engagement in roleplay is not allowed.

• Killing a player that has obeyed all orders and demands during a roleplay situation is allowed, with roleplay, only within 3 hours of:

1.  Severe hostile or criminal action is taken against you, e.g. someone is robbing you at gunpoint. (Excluding police aiming a gun at you.)

2.   Someone is attempting to take your life.

3.   Someone is attempting to take the life of your close friend or ally, or if you have witnessed it happen.

• You must explain your reason to kill to the player IC and have OOC evidence proving your reason

I think that not having a way to give proper demands to someone in a car leads to more fail rp than good rp. More often than not people just abuse the rules by doing things like calmly driving around when multiple people aggressive to you have pistols and maybe heavies out. People will even go as far to throw insults out of a car driving slowly at the people surrounding them. All the while knowing that they are completely safe if their door is locked. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying that just using /yell while driving is something that I want. I have a few ideas about how to fix this, but this is my favorite one. 

• When you're in a vehicle that has 1 or more people around it aiming weapons at it in close proximity while stopped or blocked in.

The next thing I would like to address would be having a modified DM rule for the prison. Under the current wording of DM rules it's very hard to understand exactly what would be DM.  

• Fist fighting is allowed as long as you do not kill the person afterwards and there is proper roleplay leading up to the fight.

I would also maybe add somewhere

• When you die in prison you may continue to roleplay with the other person involved as long as you rply forget the fight.

This should be added in my opinion, because more often than not you're in prison by yourself.

My next thought are going to be centralized toward how we roleplay injuries that can show up in /analysewounds. As I understand it currently a higherup police officer has to be involved to invoke death rp. I could be wrong about that. However, I do see that as a problem. I have played Eclipse rp now for 700+ hours and have requested death rp only twice. The first time I requested death rp I had 1x head wounds and was immediately granted it. The second time I requested fear rp I had 2x head wounds and 2x spine wounds and was denied.(all gsw) During that situation four people were injured and two people were granted death rp for head wounds. The entire time after I used /analysewounds I rped out my injuries with good rp. IMO. I asked for death rp and explained my injuries in ooc. I think the argument for keeping it this way is that desync causes bullets to hit in different places for different people. As of right now we do not punish people for vdm on cases where a driver passes someone and the other person gets hurt by them due to desync. My thoughts are to stay consistent to that idea. I think that people should be required to provide a screenshot as proof to what they say. To organize this all that you would need to do is have an extra channel on the discord dedicated to this. 

For this to be instated as a rule it would have to apply to all rp across the board. Otherwise it would just end up being a way to get out of charges from police officers.

I think that prison needs a good look as well. I like the updates to prison, but it's just not enough. The state of rp in prisons right now is poor. I have a few different ideas for this. I think there should be a system to passively earn stamps very similar to salary. Currently if you are mugged in prison or fall through the floor due to disconnecting you now have nothing at all to do. There is no way to earn stamps at all. If the price of pickaxes dropped some the passive stamp income would not have to be very extreme. The amount of stamps needed to play at the poker table should be lowered at least to 500. I have never once seen anyone play poker in prison as it takes a very long time to get 1500 stamps. Lastly, I think it should be a requirement for DOC to interact or attempt to do so with prisoners every so often. I have been to prison more than once where I didn't interact a single time with a DOC officer. This would also make it so every single fight doesn't end with someone bleeding out. 

Additionally, I think that there should be a scam limit for legal trades and transfers. I think that for the limit to be realistic is that a contract would have to be written up and signed by both players. This can easily be done in /me /my and /do. I personally know many people who have been scammed and it is not realistic at all.

The last thing I have to say is that PD should have to stick to the same DM rules as everybody else. We currently see reports where police fire upon vehicles and it's considered fine. Maybe all that is needed there is more transparency to the rules that cops have to follow in relation to server rules. This would at least help us understand what is going to happen. 

Edited by MonikerOne
Finished the post
  • Like 4

big -1

Your solutions would cause even more problems. I do not believe that making all interactions either FearRP or Deathmatch is healthy for roleplay. There needs to be shootouts and chases, and your approach would kill the vast majority of them.

• When you're in a vehicle that has 1 or more people around it aiming weapons at it in close proximity while stopped or blocked in.

Adding this to the FearRP rules guarantees that you will almost never be able to shoot at anyone.

Imagine the following scenario: Two gangs, purple and green for example are on bad terms. A few green gang members are chilling in the hood, purple car drives around. They decide to make a play for the car. They go up to it, and point weapons. The driver is under FearRP now, which means he is FORCED to get out and surrender. 

I feel that this is very bad for both ends of the spectrum. On one hand, it kills cars providing some measure of safety, and second, it makes shooting people even more hard than it is now.

It is customary when you point out problems with someone else's approach, that you provide your own solution. Therefore, my suggestion is that the following be removed from Deathmatching rules.

If they are not in compliance with demands, attempt to escape, or call other players for help in a situation where they are required to display fear under fear roleplay rules.

Now let's visit the same scenario. Two gangs, purple and green on bad terms. A few green gang members are chilling in the hood, purple car drives around. They decide to make a play for the car. They go close, point weapons, they tell him "Out the car!". At this point, the driver has a choice, he can make a run for it, risk getting injured/his car stalled, or he surrenders.

I feel that this is much more realistic and better suited for a roleplaying game, than hard coded rules that force you to act in a very linear fashion.

---

On to the /analysewounds thing. /analysewounds can not be used realistically, like "I was shot five times in the chest, death RP should be granted" because unlike real-life, it is not uncommon for people to survive after 5-6-7 shots. Unless you make all guns two shot people, /analysewounds will always give out a large number of wounds that would make it ALWAYS give deathRP.

Edited by alexalex303
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, GWXCORE said:

I've often considered whether I'd get a non RP punishment for locking my car, rolling up to a lab or something with an enemy gang there, and just sitting and shit talking. I shouldn't right? No matter how many cars they box me in with, no matter how many heavies they point at me, no matter how many demands they give, I can sit with my engine on and shit talk and the minute they ram me or shoot me, they have committed V/DM. 

A "letter of the law" reading of the rules shows how absurd it is. @alexalex303 what do you think about my scenario I described?

Pretty sure that would fall under NonRP.  "Actions that are unrealistic or promote poor quality roleplay are considered as non-roleplay."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alexalex303 said:

It is customary when you point out problems with someone else's approach, that you provide your own solution. Therefore, my suggestion is that the following be removed from Deathmatching rules.

If they are not in compliance with demands, attempt to escape, or call other players for help in a situation where they are required to display fear under fear roleplay rules.

Now let's visit the same scenario. Two gangs, purple and green on bad terms. A few green gang members are chilling in the hood, purple car drives around. They decide to make a play for the car. They go close, point weapons, they tell him "Out the car!". At this point, the driver has a choice, he can make a run for it, risk getting injured/his car stalled, or he surrenders.

I feel that this is much more realistic and better suited for a roleplaying game, than hard coded rules that force you to act in a very linear fashion.

Biggest hell no to this suggestion.  I think this change removes your entire civilian population over night. Which is mot a very good move (unless your goal is to eliminate them) and has a complete lack of foresight. 

At minimum you need to add a clause about the person you are shooting in the car having either done an illegal activity or hostile activities towards you.  Your current wording opens anyone and everyone up to just people rolling up saying "get out" once then instantly disabling your cars (because that is how cars work for some reason) and  robbing you for no real RP reason or benefit.

Your situation is fine as described IF purple and green are "at war" or have some previous RP to enable them to act in that way, but I don't see this working as a general case rule whatsoever and ultimately would just lead to people just DMing everyone out of their cars with little to no roleplay (because they haven't figured out how to log into GTA:O).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GWXCORE said:

I've often considered whether I'd get a non RP punishment for locking my car, rolling up to a lab or something with an enemy gang there, and just sitting and shit talking. I shouldn't right? No matter how many cars they box me in with, no matter how many heavies they point at me, no matter how many demands they give, I can sit with my engine on and shit talk and the minute they ram me or shoot me, they have committed V/DM. 

A "letter of the law" reading of the rules shows how absurd it is. @alexalex303 what do you think about my scenario I described?

As long as you dont get boxed in, and are slowly moving away they cant shoot you as you dont have to fear because your engine would still be running. As said after your post if you rolled up and sat there, it would just be baiting and poor rp

• Like 1

With these changes, the quality of RP would degrade and not really improve. There are quite a couple of people that can't seem to RP on a very basic level or have the win mentality.

DeathRP is something that's rewarded to players for good RP, but all officers on scene have to agree to it. PD also has to follow the same DM rules, so not sure what you're on about there.

2 minutes ago, Marca said:

With these changes, the quality of RP would degrade and not really improve. There are quite a couple of people that can't seem to RP on a very basic level or have the win mentality.

DeathRP is something that's rewarded to players for good RP, but all officers on scene have to agree to it. PD also has to follow the same DM rules, so not sure what you're on about there.

He is referring to the fact that crim on crim DM reports are sorted in a week. PD on crim take ALOT longer than that for no reason at all. we know yall follow the same rules

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GWXCORE said:

I concur that it would probably fall under Non-Roleplay, but it's a great showcase of heavily armed people having no recourse just because you're in a car.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TreMetal said:

Biggest hell no to this suggestion.  I think this change removes your entire civilian population over night. Which is mot a very good move (unless your goal is to eliminate them) and has a complete lack of foresight. 

At minimum you need to add a clause about the person you are shooting in the car having either done an illegal activity or hostile activities towards you.  Your current wording opens anyone and everyone up to just people rolling up saying "get out" once then instantly disabling your cars (because that is how cars work for some reason) and  robbing you for no real RP reason or benefit.

Your situation is fine as described IF purple and green are "at war" or have some previous RP to enable them to act in that way, but I don't see this working as a general case rule whatsoever and ultimately would just lead to people just DMing everyone out of their cars with little to no roleplay (because they haven't figured out how to log into GTA:O).

I'm sorry, but you're the one that didn't think this through. Look at the thread you're replying to.

Under the suggestion made by the original poster, if someone points a gun at your car, you are FORCED by fearRP to get out. Then you get robbed. 100% of the time.

Under my suggestion, you have the choice to get out, or drive away. If it's a single man with a .50 and you're in a decent car, chances are you won't be stalled. It's RNG.

I also do not agree with providing civilians with magical protections just because they're civilians. People get robbed, cars should not be your personal NCZ just because you haven't committed a crime recently.

Edited by alexalex303

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.