rockcandymountain

A bit of a rant really

A few of my lecturers have recommended that I start my rants or whatever else with some sort of opener. I figured that I might jsut introduce myself so as to facilitate one's understanding of my position.

I've been roleplaying for a while now, addmitedly GTA 5 is somethign rather recent and most of my activty was based around SA-MP and WoW, not that it would mean much, and I couldn't help but notice some, well, idiosyncrasies.

I am not looking to stir up any trouble, definitely not looking to offend anyone. Seek I but to humour my fellow members of the postmodern persuasion.

Firstly, I'd like to describe my first arrest. Exciting stuff If I may say so myself.

Here we are, two individuals of the same criminal persuasion looking for blood, rather cinemaesque.

We come face to face to a few suspect masked guys trying to chop a Sandking, figured we might rob them and chop it ourselves.

We went in Clint Eastwood style, I had my first gun on me, couldn't tell friend from foe, I heard shots fired so I opened fire myself. My friend went down in that particular engagement, and so I reloaded and proceeded to smite he who had bereaved me of my partner in crime. And so I did, the man was put down not long after, by sheer luck rather than actual skill.

Officers came, I can't remember if there were any sirens or not as my overstimulated brain failed to register any. It takes me a few seconds before I finally come back to my senses and notice that an Officer has been shotuing at me for the better part of a minute. I obey his commands, as I always do, the officers in question, or at least one of them is rather well known, she's not technically an officer as she belongs not to the LSPD, a corporal rather, the other one might have been her boss or an overpowered partner in law.

I get on my knees, hands up, and one of the fellow lawmen tries cuffing me.

This is where everything went downhill.

Allow me to explain. I'm fresh out of a shootout, adrenaline pumping thorugh my system like it's going out of style and so naturally, I follow the roleplay.

A /me command pops up: "Attempts to cuff the man", it was, naturally, followed up by the obligatory /do "would I succeed"

To which I reply: /do I think not, I am shaking.

Now, anyone who watched any cop show during the 2000's knows that you don't calm a man down by aiming a gun at his head.

Anyone except for that pair of law enforcers.

I was still shaking at this point, then a /b popped up, I recall it clear as a mountain sky on a warm summer night: Player 98: ((fear rp pro))

You probably figured out where I'm going with this already.

Not 2 second later an Admin looking person, or gods as they are commonly known in the community, pops up, at that point I cracked a laugh and I figured that I'd better just go along with it, and boy was I right.

Fear RP negates half of the Fight or Flight instict as well as basic human psychology, some people are indeed insane or have peculiar mechanisms which may lead to them dying over a choice like this, and it's all randy dandy frankly.

Fine, I can deal with that, I know that gettign people to adhere to some sort of roleplayer's creed is hard and this kinda helps, although it does so by reducing RP opportunity.

The other point that I want to make is rather simple.

Now most of my stories involve, well me obviously, and the same group of lawmen, they'll probably figure themselves out if they ever get to reading this.

Tipical drug bust, I attemped aiding the escape of a fellow and ended up getting arested.

I got a bunch of bullshit charges placed on me.

I do at this point feel like I should mention that, unlike some, I do treat this as a game so I don't mind it, I just have a laugh and tell it to sod off.

Then a medic, finally, comes along.

By that time, I must've been filled with what I would refer to as, a liberal amount of lead, swiftly delivered through the smooth, twelve inch long barrel of a shotgun.

Argued for quite a bti with one of the other aprties as he was trying to convince me that bulletwounds in the gut would be okay after he patched them up with gauze, to which I figured that I might just have a bit of fun while I'm at it and see if they can step it up a bit, I was honestly down for a 4 hour scenario if the need arose.

When the medic pops up, the individual who shot me does tell them that I have been shot a few times to which the medics reply in their usual fashion.

/me attempts to checks the man for injuries
/do Would I be able to?
/do Yes
/do what would I see
/do I've been shot so I'd think that you might probably notice some animal bites, check for rabies while you're at it, those pesky guns, you never know.

I feel like I've made my point by now.

So why do the medics have to ask for the IC acceptance of an unconcious, wounded man who is unable to talk when they require himt o be on a stretcher. You are obviously going to be able to do that unless you're shit at your job.

And what's with the gauze thing, who came up with this?

There would be some more things to say, but I am fairly sure that all of the 5 people who got to the end of this thing are acutely aware of them.

Edited by rockcandymountain
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, rockcandymountain said:

So why do the medics have to ask for the IC acceptance of an unconcious, wounded man who is unable to talk when they require himt o be on a stretcher. You are obviously going to be able to do that unless you're shit at your job.

This is because of the powergaming rule, you can't force RP onto someone regardless of if their character is concious or not. If it's a dead body obviously it's a different story.

Edit; also I'm curious, how would someone shaking stop an officer from putting cuffs on them?

Edited by Freclan

5 hours ago, Freclan said:

This is because of the powergaming rule, you can't force RP onto someone regardless of if their character is concious or not. If it's a dead body obviously it's a different story.

Edit; also I'm curious, how would someone shaking stop an officer from putting cuffs on them?

You are almost there.

Are there any valid reasons, heck any way for a comatose persion to give a medic a hard time? What could one do, snore his way out of a stretcher?

There should be something to distinguish between proper job roleplay and powergaming.

No cop will cuff you more than once, if he can't do it he'll just knock you down, sit on you and if you happen to be shaking he might just hold you by your arms whilst his colleague does the deed.

The over usage of "/do success?" is a relic from NGG, which most of the staff comes from. It is in fact possible to roleplay at a high level without /do success, and it is in fact considered fail RP to RP this way on many serious RP servers. However, this is the way the community was built from the ground up, and I don't see it changing any time soon, nor is there a desire to get it changed by the vast majority of the community. The short and long of it is that regardless of the state of the other player, you have to ask in /do if you are successful. 

On to the point about FearRP restricting RP scenarios. It does, by definition, all rules restrict RP scenarios. What if you wanted to roleplay a serial killer? You can't do that because of the DM rules either. That's fine. The fact is that in real life we have all sorts of people that live outside of the norm: serial killers, people with a deathwish, daredevils and so on. The thing is that if we allowed everyone to roleplay in those ways, everyone would, because in contrast to real life, you just respawn on the server, with very little penalty for dying. 

Edited by alexalex303
  • Like 2

About the usage of /do checks, I believe that really depends on the people you are RPing with, if its someone that you know, your RP flow might be more fluent with less /do checks which are still needed at some parts of the RP. Even on heavy RP servers, you will see a /do check, but a higher RP level than here. For example, lets say that I would attempt to punch someone, on heavy RP server, the /do check wouldn't just be /do success?, but instead /do Would my fist connect with your face, etc. The issue is the way Powergaming rule is written, enforced and the way in your case criminals and PD interacts with each other in situations. We do /do check for every action that is forceable on the criminal, because we don't want to risk getting reported for it.

As for the medic RP, even if someone says to them what happened, they can't just take someones IC word for it, they used /do for their character to actually see what happened to you and when it comes to treating the injuries, you have to know that they are not actual doctors, their job is to get you to the hospital as fast as possible and stop you from dying on the way by bleeding out, and that involves using gauze ( they should use a bandage on top of the gauze to keep the pressure on the wound ), which, looking at the state of the city, they would most likely be impregnated with clotting agents due to amount of gunshot wounds.

And the last part, the actual injury. You were shot in the gut by a shotgun, your case is maybe one of those, where you were actually downed by 1 shot, but most of the time, we have to shot someone 5+ times to incapacitate them because of the state of the sync. Because people are shot 5 times on their screen, they roleplay being shot 5 times, when in reality, a well placed shot in the chest, or limbs would most likely get the suspect to give up. So you have situations where people are saying they have been shot 5 times in the chest and if we allowed them to RP dying, everyone would then request for that.

7 hours ago, rockcandymountain said:

You are almost there.

Are there any valid reasons, heck any way for a comatose persion to give a medic a hard time? What could one do, snore his way out of a stretcher?

There should be something to distinguish between proper job roleplay and powergaming.

No cop will cuff you more than once, if he can't do it he'll just knock you down, sit on you and if you happen to be shaking he might just hold you by your arms whilst his colleague does the deed.

I see your point

Not all cops are like this I can assure you. I had one of my best RP moments last week, let me share it a bit.

My vehicle was crashed after a chase involving me, the Russian Mafia, and the police. I exited the vehicle, raised my hands and got on my knees. When the cop tried to cuff me.

/me tries to cuff the man

/do success?

/me falls over infront to avoid the policeman

/me puts his feet on top of the person and tries to handcuff him

/me wiggles around to avoid being cuffed

"Sir stop resisting or I will taze you!"

"Don't taze me! I have a heart condition!"

"Then let me cuff you!"

"Alright, alright"

/me tries to finally cuff the person

/me tries to knock the cuffs off his hands

/do am I able to?

/me would be surprised but would keep hold of the cuffs

I proceed to get tazed and RP having heartrate issues to which a medic squad was called and gave me medicine to stabilize myself.

It was very enjoyable and he did not accuse me of Fear RP or Powergame and we both respected each other throughout the scenario. Eclipse has a lot of good RPers if you look hard enough 😁

On 8/25/2019 at 6:47 PM, rockcandymountain said:

And what's with the gauze thing, who came up with this?

Hiya! Medic here, both in game and in real life. First let me say that I did enjoy reading this "rant" and understand your points. Hopefully this will help give you a little bit of insight into some of the medical stuff you encountered.

First, yes all medics have to ask for acceptance even from an unconscious and wounded man. The reasoning behind this is due to powergaming. No matter what your current state is, we still have to make sure that this is how you want to proceed. I have had multiple encounters with unconscious patients ICly, some of which roleplay as waking upon movement to the stretcher and subsequently become combative. There are also people who roleplay as being of heavier weight so the medic is unsuccessful is transferring them to the stretcher. The possibilities are almost endless when you are asked for acceptance, it's just up to you if you want to go a more complex route for your roleplay or not.

Secondly, a gunshot wound to the gut is an injury that is very limiting to a medic. Realistically speaking, abdominal injuries with extensive bleeding require rushed transport for surgical intervention at a hospital. The types of injuries cannot be packed on scene nor pressure applied due to the unknown depth of the wound, impacted organs, and likelihood of increased damaged through uncontrolled non-surgical intervention. The goal of field intervention for an abdominal GSW is not to treat but instead to prepare the patient for transport (realistically this is known as a "load-and-go" case). RPly we encounter GSWs all the time and as all medics in LSEMS are not a real life medical provider, everybody does the absolute best they can and treatment guides are created loosely based on real practice to provide for ease of roleplay. In game, gauze is placed over the wound to absorb blood and also provide as a barrier to attempt reduction of blood flow and promote clotting. Again, at the end of the day it's still a limiting injury for the field and more of a surgical scene would be needed to properly treat.

Apologies if that went a little too in depth in the second part, it's hard to explain where some treatments come from but I do hope this gives you some clarification regarding the two medic related questions.

• Like 1