TheBrohman

Professional Bus Company!

Greetings fellow people of the Eclipse RP community! 

Currently my RP character is a bus driver because you know. New to town and all. And I quite enjoy it, driving around the city, occasionally (2 times in a few days) picking up passengers. 

However, the Bus Company has very little RP to it and it is kinda just there for new players to earn some money on. I was thinking that maybe it is time we make it a bit more professional and more RP-inducing for newer players that might be a bit afraid of approaching other people? And before I continue; no I am not trying to change it. It will still stay as one of the jobs new players can just jump into and drive around and earn some money on. (Edit: Perhaps there is two bus companies located in the same place for convinience? The NPC owned one for those that just wants to drive and so on, and the other which is 'owned'/owned by the daily manager that is for the more 'hardcore' bus-drivers?)

What I had in mind is that the company is owned by an NPC, due to the fact that it is a new-player job. But I was thinking, hey why not have someone RP the Daily Manager of the company? For example, the truckers have their own dedicated radio in the form of /cb which they can use to talk with other truckers. Why not implement this for the bus-company as well? I am not saying that a seperate command is needed for them. For those that want to join the more professional approach to the Bus Company can buy a radio (Or perhaps the Daily Manager can fund the drivers with this?)

Then there can be radio communication for when you sign on, when you start a specific route, when you end the route, when you sign off. Or if something happens etc. For example like. "Someone just crashed into me. I will have to stop the route for a bit so I can get this sorted". 

There could be a forum thread/section for the company, like the other factions, where a rulebook can be posted, etiquettes, radio codes, different routes (including the standard bus job routes, but also with routes made by the daily manager). 

I think this can be a good thing for the bus-driver job as it will attract newer players but also add more RP to it. People can check the forums and be like "Hey, what routes goes here?"

I don't expect anyone to take on this job though to set this all up. I don't mind setting this all up, if the community is interested in seeing this spring to life. Like, if you as a new player just want to drive bus and not interact with other people, good for you! Just go to the HQ, press Y twice and off you go to earn money. And perhaps the daily manager can hang bit around the HQ, and talk to those that come over there for the easy job, and say like "Hey! Are you interested in becoming a bus-driver as a full-time job?" or something, and if they want to, send them over to the forum to read through stuff, and apply. The Daily Manager then goes through the list and accepts people. Obviously, this part of the company would be very low level and most people will get accepted, but then the DM can check like "Do they have a criminal record? Do they have a driver's license?" etc. 

So, what do you guys think? I will go to bed now, but will read through and answer any questions etc. when I wake up. 

Edited by TheBrohman

8 hours ago, GOAT said:

We've got the DCC and for the most part, I think it works. There aren't always enough fares for 2-3 people as is, so adding more transport possibilities isn't a good idea to me right now. 

This isn't really adding more transport possibilites. The Buses are still there. They are still driving around. But noone uses them. As I said; for the few days I have been playing and using driving a bus, I have had 2 passengers, one of them didn't even manage to get on the bus because of some sort of bug. As for the DCC part, it does work, and this won't replace them at all. Most of the time when I need a taxi there is 4-5 of them online, and I still have to wait everywhere from a second to 5 minutes. Not complaining, just saying that yes, there is obviously a lot of people on the server for the amount of taxi-drivers etc. 

This entire suggestion is to make the Bus-driver job more attractive for new people and those a bit shy, and to make it a bit more professional for those that want to drive bus, but not just double-tap Y and drive as fast as you can to the different spots, and repeat, without no interaction with another RP'er. 

DCC runs these buses, and I can tell you first hand, there are very few people who will use them.

The time it takes to wait on the bus then get to your stop (if the stop is even on the route....and YES we will reroute for customers) is greater than simply calling a cab.

I run them during the heaviest times on the server, and still rarely get more than 3-4 customers in an hour or more. I stopped doing them because the reality is, people don't use them.

But by all means, try and prove me wrong, and create the Bus Company of your dreams.

• Upvote 1

+1?

I would like to see bus drivers get the option to choose their routes. A passenger that gets on, pays $30. Bus stops could have a hover text of how many drivers are on the route that hits that stop. Routes could hit most high traffic neighborhoods, then a few low traffic ones.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.