PoliceMan101

Law Enforcement should investigate more

I was unsure where to put this as in civilian or criminal.

In my years of playing on the server, a trend which I think should be either punished by their respective Factions or Administrative team for OOC Corruption is that of Law Enforcement refusing to investigate anything. In almost all of scenarios where I have phoned PD or SD regarding an altercation of sorts the most immediate thing they do is say “have you got bodycamera footage” The answer is no, because criminals don’t run around wearing body cameras! 

There is nothing wrong with asking for evidence that makes sense but after is where the issue is. In any real world situations law enforcement would ask for statements and detain those involved potentially even interrogate suspects. This has never happened with any situation I have been in because what Law Enforcement always say is “sorry if you haven’t got footage we won’t do anything”. Being honest it’s, and excuse my language, a piss take. Isn’t the point of PD and SD job to have an investigation, not just say “oh because there’s no bodycamera footage we aren’t gonna do anything”. Law Enforcement do it because it makes their life easier where they can just disregard the situation. 

I think there needs to be in PD and SD rules whereby the have a legal obligation unless minor to investigate claims and accusations. This doesn’t mean asking for bodycamera footage then leaving because there isn’t any but actually doing what Law Enforcement is meant to do, which is investigate, if there was a fight look for brusies in /me, do roleplay. There is no roleplay in watching bodycam footage yet PD and SD are in the mentality of doing this. 

I think moving forward I’m gonna start writing IA reports for Officers/Sherifs who decide they can’t be fucked to do their job because it isn’t easily presented because i recorded my gameplay and claimed I had a bodycamera on and instead because I don’t record decide to leave instead of roleplaying. If the issue persists and these IA reports are ignored then I will start making forum reports and directly bringing it to the attention of faction handlers. It shouldn’t be acceptable for PD and SD to not do anything because I decided I wanted to roleplay instead of recording my game.

1 hour ago, RuleBritannia said:

I was unsure where to put this as in civilian or criminal.

In my years of playing on the server, a trend which I think should be either punished by their respective Factions or Administrative team for OOC Corruption is that of Law Enforcement refusing to investigate anything. In almost all of scenarios where I have phoned PD or SD regarding an altercation of sorts the most immediate thing they do is say “have you got bodycamera footage” The answer is no, because criminals don’t run around wearing body cameras! 

There is nothing wrong with asking for evidence that makes sense but after is where the issue is. In any real world situations law enforcement would ask for statements and detain those involved potentially even interrogate suspects. This has never happened with any situation I have been in because what Law Enforcement always say is “sorry if you haven’t got footage we won’t do anything”. Being honest it’s, and excuse my language, a piss take. Isn’t the point of PD and SD job to have an investigation, not just say “oh because there’s no bodycamera footage we aren’t gonna do anything”. Law Enforcement do it because it makes their life easier where they can just disregard the situation. 

This is a roleplay server. There is no real life justice system. You aren't given a trial for felonies or serious misdemeanors. You appeal after you serve your time. Cops are judge, jury, and executioner.

Why is this relevant? Well, we need 100% definitive evidence to convict. Statements aren't definitive. 90% of LEO/Crim interactions end with people demanding to be rushed to DOC or Paleto/MRPD to start their jail sentence. People don't want to be interrogated, there's no way to read facial cues, or determine truthfulness from speech patterns, especially when people type to talk. Bodycam helps us act as in game mods for IC situations in a sense. We are still held accountable and prison sentences can be reverted, and the alleged compensated financially. So, yes in the real world, civilians wouldn't have body cams, however, this isn't a 1:1 recreation of the real world. 

We also have to respond to situations where we can't get statements, or since it's VOIP, everyone talks over each other. We pull someone to the side to talk to them, and people just W key over to you regardless. They imped the investigation, get arrested for Obstruction, and get upset in /b calling us corrupt or saying we're ruining their fun. 

We don't ask for bodycam to disregard the situation at all. We ask for it, because it cuts out 90% of the bullshit that makes a 5 minute scene of some road worker punching another at lot less of a headache and earache to deal with. The number of times I had to take off my headphones because someone thinks the louder they scream into the mic, the more validity their point holds. You can't silence people, you can't suppress chat without muting everyone in VOIP.

If you want to see why we work as we work, come do a ride along if you're not on a criminal character, or apply to PD/SD and get first hand experience why we work how we work.

I think there needs to be in PD and SD rules whereby the have a legal obligation unless minor to investigate claims and accusations. This doesn’t mean asking for bodycamera footage then leaving because there isn’t any but actually doing what Law Enforcement is meant to do, which is investigate, if there was a fight look for brusies in /me, do roleplay. There is no roleplay in watching bodycam footage yet PD and SD are in the mentality of doing this. 

This is already in place. This already exists. It's not so cut and dry, or people willing to RP or respond to RP. I had one investigation last night where I was called out for metagaming by investigating the key ignition of a vehicle to determine whether the accused hot wired and stole their car. Yeah, that's great immersion for me to have to spend 5 minutes in /b to explain why I can see what I see, why I can look for what I'm looking for, and how it is not metagaming, especially someone of my department rank who has had countless experiences with GTA arrests.

I think moving forward I’m gonna start writing IA reports for Officers/Sherifs who decide they can’t be fucked to do their job because it isn’t easily presented because i recorded my gameplay and claimed I had a bodycamera on and instead because I don’t record decide to leave instead of roleplaying. If the issue persists and these IA reports are ignored then I will start making forum reports and directly bringing it to the attention of faction handlers. It shouldn’t be acceptable for PD and SD to not do anything because I decided I wanted to roleplay instead of recording my game.

Feel free to do so. @HobGoblin provided you with the link to IA for PD. SD has their own found here.

Edited by SquirtleSquad
Added SD IA link